Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Under poverty line... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone,

I am a second year student at university. Last year I was financially able to support myself because I had saving of £2000 for university but as you can imagine I used this up so that I could live last year. Not being able to find a job during the summer I have been struggling to survive this semester... I had £200 savings than I managed to get £250 after working a month as a housecleaner. I had to stop because I was suffering from exhaustion.
    I am studying Economics and French and my parents are expecting me to get 1st's...
    not only this but they have refused me from getting a loan or letting me borrow money off of them...
    My father's work gives me £350 a month because my parents are overseas... effectively this means that next semester I will have £30 to live off of a month for food and travelling. Is there any way for me to achieve this?
    I can't seem to see how I can manage.. any tips would be nice !

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why your parents won't let you get a loan out! It seems to be the usual way of getting through uni...
    Contact your uni for financial help/advice? Do they provide bursaries for students in such situations as yourself? They can maybe help you get a job in the su bar or somewhere similar...
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Lidl - a VERY cheap supermarket.
    try to stay in most nights.
    make a strict budget - that you MUST stick to.

thats all i can think of, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danixsimile)
    Hello Everyone,

I am a second year student at university. Last year I was financially able to support myself because I had saving of £2000 for university but as you can imagine I used this up so that I could live last year. Not being able to find a job during the summer I have been struggling to survive this semester... I had £200 savings than I managed to get £250 after working a month as a housecleaner. I had to stop because I was suffering from exhaustion.
    I am studying Economics and French and my parents are expecting me to get 1st's...
    not only this but they have refused me from getting a loan or letting me borrow money off of them...
    My father's work gives me £350 a month because my parents are overseas... effectively this means that next semester I will have £30 to live off of a month for food and travelling. Is there any way for me to achieve this?
    Simple calculations tell me £30 a month will give you £1 a day for 3 meals a day. Without commuting costs.

Travelling costs, assuming you need to get 2 buses a day (1 bus to get there, 1 to get back) which is the minimum amount of money you can spend on transport without spending nothing, amounts to £2.40 a day alone. Or do you not need to spend anything on transport?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it's not possible to live on £30 a month, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danixsimile)
    Hello Everyone,

To be honest neither can I. It isn't manageable to live off that much. But if you do travel. You must either walk or cycle. Food- you won't be eating fancy. Sainsbury's Basics , Tesco Value and a lot of tinned and frozen food. Try certain staple foods and leftovers. Try places like Iceland and Lidl. I'm eating a Lidl Pizza right now and it tastes sooooo good yet it was soooo cheap. I might post a link to a video for you to watch. I seriously recommend asking your parents for money or get it somewhere as if you cannot get enough well..... Studying in the UK is not going to be very possible. You need to factor in bills , books , uni expenses , going out , rent and unexpected expenses

To say the truth if I were a uni student living away I would let you stay with me.

BUT I do wish you all the best. Let us know how It goes. I certainly want to know. Your uni should have some fund for people like you who are running low on funds but unfortunately if you are an International Student there may not be much for you

HERE ARE THE VIDEOS: VIDEO LINKS ARE BELOW:

How to eat cheaply: http://www.howcast.com/search?q=How+to+eat+cheaply

How to live on practically nothing: http://www.howcast.com/videos/3100-H...ically-Nothing

Hope it goes well. PM if you need help.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just take the loan out? Your parents can't stop you after all, if they decide to not fill in the means tested forms you will still get some sort of a loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountDuckula)
    I don't know why your parents won't let you get a loan out! It seems to be the usual way of getting through uni...
    Contact your uni for financial help/advice? Do they provide bursaries for students in such situations as yourself? They can maybe help you get a job in the su bar or somewhere similar...
    Good luck!
    My parents won't let me get a loan because they don't want me "to be starting of a job with loads of debt"... I don't think I can get a bursary because I think it is based on how much your parents earn, my parents have a good salary but with a teenage brother in the house, horses and other animals by the end of the month they don't have that much so they refuse to give me money.

Is Aldi a cheap option? I live in a small town so shop options are limited slightly.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest I would apply for a loan regardless - surely it would be better to be starting a job with debt than basically not being able to live until you get a job? As someone said above you don't even need your parents to agree to submit their parts - at least this way you would get something - I think it would be around £3k.
    Speak to your uni and see if they can give you any financial help but in most cases unless you are currently taking out everything you are entitled to (in this case a loan) they probably wont be able to help you.

Obviously I dont know the situation with your bank but have you seen about getting an overdraft?

ReputationRep:
    First of all - your parents work gives you £350 per month? That's quite a lot? How come you've only got £30 per week to live off - or does most of the £350 go on rent.

Some suggestions. Your parents are saying don't get a loan, but not giving you enough to live off. Either they want you to be independent, in which case it's your decision whether to get a loan or not, or they don't want you to be in debt, so they should give you some money. You can apply for the loan without their blessing - in fact they don't even have to know. IIRC the letters from SFE come in a plain white envelope. Dishonest perhaps but they're being ridiculous.

The other option - interest free overdraft - you can easily get £1000+ from most banks. Most students have one. Again parents don't have to know.

ReputationRep:
    What cruel parents you have.

What type of sub standard living is this

Erm sorry.

Take a loan out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.