Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What to read after Asimov's Foundation? Watch

So I just got totally engrossed with the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, it's my first forray into Sci-Fi (bar Douglas Adams) and I'm kind of in love. I finished the first book in 3 days and I'm onto the second now but I looked at the Sci-Fi section at work and found it very hard to tell if any of it was any good.

I like the whole space-politics theme of Foundation, I'm not so much interested in his Robots series, I want something similar. I really like Kurt Vonnegut and I love the idea of Kilgore Trout's books in Vonnegut's novels but I've never read any of his sci-fi.

Anyone got any recommendations for a sci-fi semi-virgin?

ReputationRep:
    Dune, by Frank Herbert. Excellent book. Avoid the film.

(Original post by Apagg)
    Dune, by Frank Herbert. Excellent book. Avoid the film.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I second Dune - especially if, as you said, you like the 'space-politics' theme.
    Ok, I'm in work tomorrow and I have three hours between the end of my shift and the Christmas party so I might take Dune up into the staff room and have a look. Someone else suggested that too. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    So I just got totally engrossed with the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, it's my first forray into Sci-Fi (bar Douglas Adams) and I'm kind of in love. I finished the first book in 3 days and I'm onto the second now but I looked at the Sci-Fi section at work and found it very hard to tell if any of it was any good.

I like the whole space-politics theme of Foundation, I'm not so much interested in his Robots series, I want something similar. I really like Kurt Vonnegut and I love the idea of Kilgore Trout's books in Vonnegut's novels but I've never read any of his sci-fi.

Anyone got any recommendations for a sci-fi semi-virgin?
    'Hyperion' by Dan Simmons; 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott-Card.

ReputationRep:
    Dune, Ender's Game and The Forever War.

They're the most well known, and rightly so. And anything by **** or Clarke.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.