Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accidentally deleted SQL Server 2005 - Microsoft office 2010 affected Watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently downloaded Microsoft Professional Plus from a website, which sells discounted software to students. this was a media download; so no cds arrived for installation. The installation worked fine, as did the software. However, after i had installed it, on my programs list there was an extra program installed called Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact edition. I have no idea what this is, and thought it was just an extra program which i would not need, hence i deleted it. The program was evidently important and part of the software package, as since removing it the icons for each of the programs have vanished - instead i am left with a weird icon, whcih is the same for each program; for example, for microsoft word there is normally a blue W, which is now replaced with a werid icon. although i dont think the software has actually been affected and works pretty much fine (apart from the occasional error, normally when downloading documents from the internet), how would i solve this and get the icons back; not only this, but how would i reinstall the SQL server back onto the system and ensure i have evrything i originally had (By the way, what is SQL Server 2005?). also, i have attempted system restore several times, which has failed after failing to extract a specific file (i guess this is what i must have deleted). i understand this is enetirely my own fault but if there is anything i can do to get the icons back; not only this, when i initially installed the software, i rceived windows updates for the programmes, but have failed to do so since. all in all, i have tainted the softaware; how do i get it back to how it was originally?

Thank-you so much to anyone who helps!

x_mee_x

ReputationRep:
    bump!!!

ReputationRep:
    SQL Server is an enterprise database system. Think of access but for really big and complex databases. The compact edition is going to be a cut down version for applications that use an enterprise style database to store data.

In terms of recovering it I'd have thought the easiest option to try is reinstalling office over the top of the current install. (You might want to try uninstalling the current version first)

Oh and usually it's not worth bumping after only 15 minutes. At least wait a few hours. If you've not received a reply after a day or if your post has been dropped off the first page that's the time to bump. A lot of people on these forums don't spend their entire life in front of TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    SQL Server is an enterprise database system. Think of access but for really big and complex databases. The compact edition is going to be a cut down version for applications that use an enterprise style database to store data.

In terms of recovering it I'd have thought the easiest option to try is reinstalling office over the top of the current install. (You might want to try uninstalling the current version first)

Oh and usually it's not worth bumping after only 15 minutes. At least wait a few hours. If you've not received a reply after a day or if your post has been dropped off the first page that's the time to bump. A lot of people on these forums don't spend their entire life in front of TSR.
    If i reinstall office, which is an option as it came with the a product key i can use twice, then esentially i may be wasting the software - at the moment it works fine, its just the icons which are missing... *I think* what i did was delete the setup files when i deleted the SQL Server, which means there are none on my computer anymore - without that, i guess theres no chance of recovering my icons

Oh and thanks for the tip about not bumping after only 15 minutes. Its just that i was kinda desperate for a response - i had no idea what had just happened! thanks for ur help though!!

ReputationRep:
    Before you do that, you could try to re-install SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition and see if it solves the problem: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

ReputationRep:
    Reinstalling it on the same computer shouldn't "use up" your second installation. In any case, if you re-run setup, you might find it has a "repair" option.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.