Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know you shouldn't be proud of where you happened to be born, but since there's no changing it you may as well embrace the fact and show some national pride. I don't particularly like the Royals but it's nice to see the show of national pride for royal birthdays, weddings and the likes.

So are you proud to be British?

ReputationRep:
    Too right Im proud to be British

ReputationRep:
    Seen a lot of threads with this EXACT title in the last few days...
    and I am proud to be British

ReputationRep:
    I am not proud to be living after the golden age of the British Empire.

I am not proud that we are a country desperatley holding on to the global perception of being a world power. It's so contrived when it used to be effortless.

I'm very dissapointed and ashamed at the pathetic way our Empire was thrown away.

I am also not proud because I'm not part of the gentry or the upper classes but lower-middle at best. It's not tha part of British society I feel like i fit in within nor feel proud to be in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    Seen a lot of threads with this EXACT title in the last few days...
    and I am proud to be British
    Perhaps it was the same thread?

ReputationRep:
    I am proud to be human. Humans have achieved a lot. i think we are a great species. I wouldnt want to be any thing else (maybe a cat)

ReputationRep:
    Why would I be proud that my parents decided to have sex then give birth to me while I was in Britain ?

Why would I be proud of something that I did absolutely nothing to achieve ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and I think there is an importance in being proud of where you're from. People usually take care of things they're proud of and I firmly believe that people get along better within a community if there's a sense of pride

I am proud to British... even if the winters get me down a little :p:

ReputationRep:
    I denounce nationalism.

I am very happy to be British, but I have no inclination to be proud of my nationality any more than I have to be proud of my race, religion or income. Which is none.

So in short, no. I'm not so pathetic that I feel the need to have pride in my nationality.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, God save the Queen.

ReputationRep:
    Not particularly.

ReputationRep:
    Apparantly the world has become more nationalist in the last year. I personally think there is a link between the economy and nationalism.

ReputationRep:
    Proud is a rather stupid thing to be in such a context. First and foremost it requires somebody who isn't British to compare yourself against and gloat inwardly over. Given that you didn't do anything to achieve this status bar winning the ovarian lottery and sliding out of your mother onto the right part of the Earth's surface; you will excuse me if I snigger pretentiously when you denounce those who are not proud of such a simplistic 'victory'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I know you shouldn't be proud of where you happened to be born, but since there's no changing it you may as well embrace the fact and show some national pride. I don't particularly like the Royals but it's nice to see the show of national pride for royal birthdays, weddings and the likes.

So are you proud to be British?
    yes i love my country and detest those who are not patriots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    I denounce nationalism.

I am very happy to be British, but I have no inclination to be proud of my nationality, than my race, religion or income. Which is none.
    There's a massive gap being nationalism and patriotism. Nationalism is stating that your ethnic group is superior to others and you don't want to associate with them. Patriotism and being proud of your nation is about pride in past generations and the people who have built this nation and the people who continue to.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being patriotic.

ReputationRep:
    aye

and no it dunt make me racist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    I am proud to be human. Humans have achieved a lot. i think we are a great species. I wouldnt want to be any thing else (maybe a cat)
    this! Although I would rather be a lion.

ReputationRep:
    By British does that include Asians that were born here like me? Or is it just the indigenous population?

ReputationRep:
    Kind of, I am happy to be living in Britain, but I don't feel being British is an accomplishment therefore I can't be proud of it =s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paint-a-Picture)
    Apparantly the world has become more nationalist in the last year. I personally think there is a link between the economy and nationalism.
    nah theres not

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.