The Student Room Group

Are you proud to be English/British?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by jaydoh
Brtions have experienced slavery?? Or are you talking about others?

When you look at it like the way you;ve put it it makes me even more proud, we fought to liberate the whole world along with several other countries, when you think about thanks very much.

Our foreign policy hasn't always been the greatest but no one was complaing when we were winning both world wars.

Was that before or after we wiped out American Indians, inslaved the blacks, stuck a flag in India and said it was ours and ****ed over the Aborigines?
I don't really think pride comes into it. I'm glad I'm British. I live in a country with an enormous wealth of history, culture and... well, money, which allows me to do things I want to do. I'm not really proud though as they're not my achievements.
Original post by Trigger
Was that before or after we wiped out American Indians, inslaved the blacks, stuck a flag in India and said it was ours and ****ed over the Aborigines?

Pre-World War II you'd be talking, so most probably after. Call it some positive payback, if you will.
Reply 163
Original post by jaydoh
Pre-World War II you'd be talking, so most probably after. Call it some positive payback, if you will.

No after the world war you entered into an illegal war helping the Americans to torture and kill innocent civilians in the name of xenophobia and oil.

Man i am glad to be British.
British and proud. :fatcontroller:
Original post by Trigger
No after the world war you entered into an illegal war helping the Americans to torture and kill innocent civilians in the name of xenophobia and oil.

Man i am glad to be British.

I did? :confused:

Well that's a "leftist clutching at hypothetical straws" version of events which may or may not be true. Let's be honest Saddam Hussien was a problem that needed getting rid of and weren't capable of doing it themselves. Not that I advocate the innocent civilians being killed, but then what about the troops who are doing a duty too, getting killed?

But aren't your proud of the more positive aspects of our country and it's people? And don't say there aren't any.
Reply 166
Original post by jaydoh

Well that's a "leftist clutching at hypothetical straws" version of events which may or may not be true..

It's not "leftist clutching at hypothetical straws". It's "irrational, anti-American clutching at straws." version of events.
Not really no, are we supposed to be? What have we got to show for it?
Yes but not proud of Britain as a country
Reply 169
Original post by jaydoh
I did? :confused:

Well that's a "leftist clutching at hypothetical straws" version of events which may or may not be true. Let's be honest Saddam Hussien was a problem that needed getting rid of and weren't capable of doing it themselves. Not that I advocate the innocent civilians being killed, but then what about the troops who are doing a duty too, getting killed?

But aren't your proud of the more positive aspects of our country and it's people? And don't say there aren't any.

I'm not a leftist. I was but i'm not now. Also if you sign up to shoot people you will get shot :dontknow:

How can i proud of achievements that aren't mine? How can i be proud of the massive hole this place is slowly becoming?
Original post by Escriba

Original post by Escriba
I don't, and yes, I'm happy to have brown hair. Wouldn't that come under 'taking pride' in your appearance? As far as I know, pride doesn't always mean that you think yourself superior to others...

Taking pride in your appearance meaning putting effort into your appearance in order to make you feel better about yourself, by better it means better than you felt before when you didn't put as much effort in. You can't be proud of a certain aspect of your appearance but at the same time think of others as being just as worthy as you are, e.g. if you're proud to be white you can't think that non-white people are also equal to whites. Same applies with you being proud to have brown hair, you can't think of blonde people as being just as good as you, you have to feel that you're more superior to them.
Original post by Trigger
I'm not a leftist. I was but i'm not now. Also if you sign up to shoot people you will get shot :dontknow:

How can i proud of achievements that aren't mine? How can i be proud of the massive hole this place is slowly becoming?

Britain will always be the best country in the world afaic. They're nobody's acheivements though.

Visible, yet abstract things like the beautiful countryside/landscape.

The never say die, bounce back from anything attitude that we have. etc etc
Reply 172
Original post by CombineHarvester
Taking pride in your appearance meaning putting effort into your appearance in order to make you feel better about yourself, by better it means better than you felt before when you didn't put as much effort in. You can't be proud of a certain aspect of your appearance but at the same time think of others as being just as worthy as you are, e.g. if you're proud to be white you can't think that non-white people are also equal to whites. Same applies with you being proud to have brown hair, you can't think of blonde people as being just as good as you, you have to feel that you're more superior to them.

I don't think you do simply on the basis that I don't.
Reply 173
Original post by jaydoh
Britain will always be the best country in the world afaic. They're nobody's acheivements though.

Why are we the best country in the world? Have you ever been abroad?
Original post by Escriba

Original post by Escriba
I don't think you do simply on the basis that I don't.

Well that's not pride then that's fondness. If you're proud of something about your appearance, you think people without this are inferior. If you don't think they're inferior then you're fond of having brown hair rather than proud of it. It's a subtle difference but an important one.
Reply 175
Original post by jaydoh

I may be a big Anglophile, but best country in the world?
Reply 176
Original post by CombineHarvester
Well that's not pride then that's fondness. If you're proud of something about your appearance, you think people without this are inferior. If you don't think they're inferior then you're fond of having brown hair rather than proud of it. It's a subtle difference but an important one.

Yes sir.
Reply 177
Britain will always be that country that showed the world what a pathetic and useless country it has been. It can't even deal with a little bit of snow, there it is showing the world we can invade any country we like and kill hundreds of people but when it comes to dealing with crap back in your own yard, it's a sad sad sight to see.
cof cof their is alot of bad weather here :frown:
I used to think patriotism was stupid...but having come to live in another country really gives you a sense of your national identity and what makes your country special. the culture you grew up in you'll always have a very special connection with which is almost impossible to extricate yourself from. I don't think it's bad to be patriotic, to appreciate the place you live. Britain really is one of the most beautiful and amazing countries in the world. the history: the castles, cathedrals, universities; the landscapes: the mountains, the lakes, the fields and hills; the culture: the contributions to cinema, theatre, television, art, music, comedy; the politics: secular, liberal, has a welfare state. I really think we have a lot to be grateful for.

Quick Reply

Latest