Expert British students : HELP!!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Trader007
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi guys!!!

My name is Michael and I am a Belgian student who studied here in London at Cass Business School, City University for my undergrad. I will be graduated in June this year at the age of 20.

Here is my situation:

At the age of 17, I joined city university London Cass Business School with a 93% (A-A-A-A)!!!

Had an offer from every university I applied to but could not get any better than City as applied by the clearing way in MAY!!!

I am also expecting a 1s degree here.

Before coming to England I did not realize how crap my uni was perceived by some Investment Banks I am applying to right now.

I just think I could have made a better decision 3 years ago and wait a year to apply to better uni like Oxbrige and LSE.

WHERE WOULD YOU SUGGEST ME TO APPLY FOR A POSTGRADUATE FINANCE MASTER IN A TOP UNI??????

I already applied to LSE since October but did not get an answer yet.

I even thought about doing another BSc.

I know there is an Mphil in Finance at Cambridge but although I have a good a level and a 1st, I have been told they have never taken someone from my current uni....

I am really desperate to join the top unis because with all the respect for my uni I think that I deserve better.

Thank you guys in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
why did u only apply in may.....why didnt u take a gap year after only getting into city?
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My spider senses tell me this is a poll, wouldn't be suprised if it was theECONOMIST's deranged brother.

Though, for the sake of it... A first from a University with a high a-level points score average will get you into the doors of an Investment Bank, providing you're personable and interview well.
neildm
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Trader007)
Hi guys!!!

My name is Michael and I am a Belgian student who studied here in London at Cass Business School, City University for my undergrad. I will be graduated in June this year at the age of 20.
....................Thank you guys in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats quite a dilemma. Do yourself a favour and write to Cambridge and Oxford and LSE, write to the people there explaining exactly what you've explained here without all the exclamation marks. Very important! For Cambridge, if you want to do a second undergrad degree, try one of the mature colleges (wolfson perhaps). I'm quite sure they won't look down on city, but do explain your case!
Good luck!
Trader007
I know it sounds stupid, but in Belgium it is not common to do a gap year.

Anyway back to the main question:

Which university, in terms of reputation would be the best in Europe for a Master in Finance....

1. Cambridge: MPhil in Finance

2. Oxford: Mathematical Finance part time master

3. LSE: Accounting and Finance

4. Imperial: MSc Finance

5. Bocconi: Master of Corporate Finance

6. HEC: Mastere en Finance Internationale

7. ESSEC: Mastere Techniques Financieres

8. Warwick: MSc Financial Mathematics
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know it sounds stupid, but in Belgium it is not common to do a gap year.

Anyway back to the main question:

Which university, in terms of reputation would be the best in Europe for a Master in Finance....

1. Cambridge: MPhil in Finance

2. Oxford: Mathematical Finance part time master

3. LSE: Accounting and Finance

4. Imperial: MSc Finance

5. Bocconi: Master of Corporate Finance

6. HEC: Mastere en Finance Internationale

7. ESSEC: Mastere Techniques Financieres

8. Warwick: MSc Financial Mathematics
INSEAD in france
Trader007
1. No it is not a poll

2. Insead and LBS offer master only after a few years of work experience same for the MSc in Financial engeneering in the USA like for Berkeley, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago...

3. Thank you for your help for writing to CAMBRIDGE.

Do no you think there is no way for me to be considered though as the deadline for Bachelors is passed since three months?
neildm
Report 16 years ago
1. No it is not a poll

2. Insead and LBS offer master only after a few years of work experience same for the MSc in Financial engeneering in the USA like for Berkeley, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago...

3. Thank you for your help for writing to CAMBRIDGE.

Do no you think there is no way for me to be considered though as the deadline for Bachelors is passed since three months?

No, you won't be considered for October. Theres no harm writing however. Why not try applying for a masters at Cam?
Trader007
Although I do not believe in my chances I will probably apply for a master at Cambridge.

But, back to undergrad this time.

IS THERE REALLY NO WAY FOR A GRADUATE IN MY SITUATION TO BE CONSIDERED FOR OCTOBER AT OXFORD OR CAMBRIDGE?

Michael
Trader007
Someone jsut informed me that in special cases, Cambridge Undergraduate Admissions might consider students like me for 2004-2005.
Is it any possible?
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Someone jsut informed me that in special cases, Cambridge Undergraduate Admissions might consider students like me for 2004-2005.
Is it any possible?
anything is possible....the only way u'll find out is by phoning and asking...
mikebenz
Report 16 years ago
He is not stupid...believe me

Well it is true. Does anyone know how to get to Oxbridge undergrad for him as we are already in January???

Come on Oxbridge students

Some reaction here...
lyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
DId you get a first at City?

Or at the very least high 2:1 grades?

If you are not getting interviews with I-banks, I would think it's because your uni grades are not high enough, OR your application forms were not well-written.

City is fairly well-regarded by city banks for its finance-related courses. I have a friend from City who studied Finance with German working at Credit Suisse as an analyst. So I suggest you look at your credentials first before blaming it all on the university you went to and wasting lots of money on an MSc.

doing a Master's (even at Oxbridge/LSE) won't cure poor undergrad grades.
Trader007
(Original post by lyd)
DId you get a first at City?

Or at the very least high 2:1 grades?

If you are not getting interviews with I-banks, I would think it's because your uni grades are not high enough, OR your application forms were not well-written.

City is fairly well-regarded by city banks for its finance-related courses. I have a friend from City who studied Finance with German working at Credit Suisse as an analyst. So I suggest you look at your credentials first before blaming it all on the university you went to and wasting lots of money on an MSc.

doing a Master's (even at Oxbridge/LSE) won't cure poor undergrad 1.grades.

Apparently my friend you do not no much about Finance and City.

1. I do not have less than a first in every subject.
average of 78 if you want to know.
I speak 4 different languages.

2. Finance with german does not exist at City
The only guy I know working as an analyst from City is Michael Heuberger at CSFB...got the job from a contact.

3. In a class of 300 students only 4 got interviews

4. It is not only about getting the job it is also about academic self satisfaction for the long term

5. By the way of course an LSE or Oxbridge graduate program can clear almost everything...all the banks know it.
lyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Of course, doing a master's at a more prestigious uni won't harm your chances, but I said doing one won't cure bad undergrad grades. Which is why I asked whether you got a first. If you got a first AND wrote good answers on your application forms, there is no way that the mere fact of you going to City would be a bar to getting in banks (maybe to goldman or rothschild cos they are just that snobby). As you said, there were ppl from your course who got interviews, why weren't you one of them?

Perhaps i got it mixed up, and my friend did Business Studies and German? Also like me, she graduated 2 yrs ago, and I severely doubt she is lying about working at CFSB.

I was just trying to reassure ppl who might be reading that not going to oxbridge/lse is not an automatic bar to high paid jobs in the City. You just have to get better grades than those who did go to these unis. (THis is a debate we already had with Gordon Ghekko Jr/TheEconomist on another thread).
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
LSE is the best uni to do a postgraduate degree....Oxbridge are better for undergraduade degrees.
LBS is the best business school to do MSc Finance so forget imperial and others....(i am talking about UK bus.schools)
Persoanlly i'd do a Mathematical based degree! MSc Financial Mathematics @ warwick is v.good as well Oxford's one.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
LSE is the best uni to do a postgraduate degree....Oxbridge are better for undergraduade degrees.
LBS is the best business school to do MSc Finance so forget imperial and others....(i am talking about UK bus.schools)
Persoanlly i'd do a Mathematical based degree! MSc Financial Mathematics @ warwick is v.good as well Oxford's one.

Hmm...

Not entirely true. At Oxbridge postgrad. level theres a variation, certain departments where there are lower levels of demand do badly, others take in students of an exceptional standard. Suppose that's rather similar to the situation at undergrad. level.

The MPhil in Finance at Cambridge is very very difficult to get into, something like 15 people apply for each place, even with a first all you have, at best is a reasonable chance of being considered. Probably need a high first and/or a good GRE score. LSE's Acc/Fin course too is very highly regarded and as with Cam.the number of people applying per place is crazy. Needless to say I can only assume it's the same situation at Oxford, although I don't know the course.

From the Uni's you mention, doubt it makes a lot of difference as to where you study, although I would personally recommend Cam/Ox/LSE/LBS (LBS Finance requires work experience though) if you're looking to study in the UK. Do bare in mind that the MPhil at Camb. is not a practical degree, it's heavily theoretical, it doesn't intend to provide training for employment, overall its a course that's designed to take you upto PhD level.

Thing is, if you're looking to work in I banking, these courses are a waste of time. If you can get into the Cambridge MPhil you can sure as hell get at least several interviews at the IBanks! If you are unable to get even interviews at the I Banks, it's odds on that your applic. will go straight into a bin at the Judge Institute too.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is it any possible?

I think the Cam. deadline is Feb 15th, do not be late (for grad level).
Trader007
(Original post by J.S.)
I think the Cam. deadline is Feb 15th, do not be late (for grad level).

Which one of the following is better for Investment Banks and for reputation.

1. MSc in Accounting and Finance at the LSE

2. MPhil in Finance at Cambridge.
???
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know someone that got a 1st in Investment, Banking and Risk at Cass Business School that is now doing his Masters at LSE - so it does happen.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (385)
67.19%
No (188)
32.81%

Watched Threads