Expert British students : HELP!!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Trader007)
Which one of the following is better for Investment Banks and for reputation.

1. MSc in Accounting and Finance at the LSE

2. MPhil in Finance at Cambridge.
???
Although both are very good, to many around the world any degree from Oxbridge will have an unbeatable reputation.

J.
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Which one of the following is better for Investment Banks and for reputation.

1. MSc in Accounting and Finance at the LSE

2. MPhil in Finance at Cambridge.
???

Look, if you're interested in the course, do it. Niether is going to particularly help you for IB. I mean, if you can get into either of those courses, you SHOULD DEFINTELY get interviews at pretty much ANY of the IB's. If you cannot get interviews, then they find you lacking in something-and that something is not your academic performance. If that something was your academic performance, then you'd not get into either of these courses...
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
JS...I thought IBanks look for People with high knowledge of mathematics ...r u saying Acc & Finance would be better than something like BSc/MSc Mathematics?I understand we r talking about post grad degrees but what do u think is the best degree/degrees to do, so that it increases ur chances of getting into Finance at its highest level?
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
JS...I thought IBanks look for People with high knowledge of mathematics ...r u saying Acc & Finance would be better than something like BSc/MSc Mathematics?I understand we r talking about post grad degrees but what do u think is the best degree/degrees to do, so that it increases ur chances of getting into Finance at its highest level?

Nah, I was just saying that I'm aware of the two courses he has mentioned, if one can get into those, then I think they should ALREADY be getting interviews at the IB's. I know LSE Acc/Fin requires a GRE and a sound numerical background.

The IB's seem to be reasonably flexible (well, maybe not over the last 2 years!). Quite a few people seem to get interviews, with degrees such as Politics, Management and the like. I think there's probably now a bias against the humanities, dno...just on a hunch, few people from Oxbridge I know were rejected without even an interview-2:1 candidates that is. I think Econ. would be a good choice, as for the postgrad degree at LSE, Economics and Finance is very highly thought of too. The course at Cambridge in Finance is suberb-although perhaps more so for an aspiring academic, difficulty of entry into that MPhil has an almost legendary status. Also Maths, obviously, despite the sterotypes regarding students of of that course, with regards to their personality! Also, naturally Physics.

Suppose anything even remotely relevant, backed with commercial knoweldge and an internship is fine. As long as one has very good A levels and has attended a reputable university. It's just that things have gotten tough, with the state of the economy and I think that it's harder for people with very highly academic degrees that have no numerical emphasis.
Trader007
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Nah, I was just saying that I'm aware of the two courses he has mentioned, if one can get into those, then I think they should ALREADY be getting interviews at the IB's. I know LSE Acc/Fin requires a GRE and a sound numerical background.

The IB's seem to be reasonably flexible (well, maybe not over the last 2 years!). Quite a few people seem to get interviews, with degrees such as Politics, Management and the like. I think there's probably now a bias against the humanities, dno...just on a hunch, few people from Oxbridge I know were rejected without even an interview-2:1 candidates that is. I think Econ. would be a good choice, as for the postgrad degree at LSE, Economics and Finance is very highly thought of too. The course at Cambridge in Finance is suberb-although perhaps more so for an aspiring academic, difficulty of entry into that MPhil has an almost legendary status. Also Maths, obviously, despite the sterotypes regarding students of of that course, with regards to their personality! Also, naturally Physics.

Suppose anything even remotely relevant, backed with commercial knoweldge and an internship is fine. As long as one has very good A levels and has attended a reputable university. It's just that things have gotten tough, with the state of the economy and I think that it's harder for people with very highly academic degrees that have no numerical emphasis.

Thank you guys

I understood the point that any Oxbridge degree would be more regarded than the LSE.

Do not you think that for a guy who aspires to be in IB in the future a financial or an economic Master from the London School of eCONOMICS WOULD BE MORE REGARDED.

By the way, I checked the ratios both at the LSE and cambridge.

At cambridge, for the Mphil Finance 1/15 is accepted.
LSE Accounting and Finance: 1/27 is accepted + score above 650 in the GMAT.

Is your answer still the same?
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thank you guys

I understood the point that any Oxbridge degree would be more regarded than the LSE.

Do not you think that for a guy who aspires to be in IB in the future a financial or an economic Master from the London School of eCONOMICS WOULD BE MORE REGARDED.

By the way, I checked the ratios both at the LSE and cambridge.

At cambridge, for the Mphil Finance 1/15 is accepted.
LSE Accounting and Finance: 1/27 is accepted + score above 650 in the GMAT.

Is your answer still the same?
I don't ever recall having made that point.
Trader007
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
I don't ever recall having made that point.
You are right. Sorry. The point was actually made by "Hornblower".

Seriously, J.S. You seem to know much more than the rest here what I am talking about.

Can you please tell me which Master is the best assuming someone is accepted to both and has a uni like Cass Business School City University for his BSc.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (242)
61.89%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.6%
No- I want it (105)
26.85%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.65%

Watched Threads