Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which musical keyboard shall I buy - Beginner? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'm looking for a new hobby and I chose musical keyboard as my new hobby. The last time I played it was around 1/2 years ago. What shall I buy as my starter keyboard? How many keys shall I get? Shall I get a crappy one or shall I get me one that can last me a VERY long time?

ReputationRep:
    Don't go all out budget-wise yet until you're sure you're gonna stick with it.

See if you can find a Casio CTK900 on eBay or something. It was the high end model of Casio's last generation beginner line. I got one for £60 - and, last generation or not, the lowest end of Casio's current generation beginner line will run you £75ish. More value for money with the older model.

ReputationRep:
    I've been recommended a Casio CTK before. Hmm.. Maybe it's a sign.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the bump - Shall I get Casio CTK-900 or CTK-2100 and why? Do they both support midi?

ReputationRep:
    Out of those two, I'd probably go for CTK-900 for the reason that it's velocity sensitive. Both will support MIDI.

ReputationRep:
    Yamaha P-85 Digital is good (more info here)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.