Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know the cheapest way of getting from Oz to New Zealand?

Im going out to Australia in March and have been quoted $366 for a flight, wasnt sure if anybody knew of any other cheaper flight's or on if they do a ferry service taking people across on the off chance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monty_9)
    Anybody know the cheapest way of getting from Oz to New Zealand?

Im going out to Australia in March and have been quoted $366 for a flight, wasnt sure if anybody knew of any other cheaper flight's or on if they do a ferry service taking people across on the off chance...
    It's about 1300 miles from Sydney to Auckland. That's a long ferry journey...

It's a 3hr + flight. Air New Zealand, Jetstar, Qantas and Virgin Blue all fly to NZ - check them out online: you should be able to get a better deal than $366.

ReputationRep:
    Swimming probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chalks)
    It's about 1300 miles from Sydney to Auckland. That's a long ferry journey...

It's a 3hr + flight. Air New Zealand, Jetstar, Qantas and Virgin Blue all fly to NZ - check them out online: you should be able to get a better deal than $366.
    You think? I would have said $366 was pretty good. I live in Adelaide and am going to Sydney on Jetstar and that is going to cost me $280 or so! :| Flights here are stupidly expensive.

*looks on Jetstar website now*

Yeah, I've searched for Sydney to Auckland in March, I've found a $139 flight there and $100 back! Cheaper than my Adelaide - Sydney trip!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galadriel100)
    You think? I would have said $366 was pretty good. I live in Adelaide and am going to Sydney on Jetstar and that is going to cost me $280 or so! :| Flights here are stupidly expensive.

Yeah, I've searched for Sydney to Auckland in March, I've found a $139 flight there and $100 back! Cheaper than my Adelaide - Sydney trip!
    That's more than decent, cheers for your help guys!

ReputationRep:

Wow, you need to shop around more! I flew Jetstar: Melbourne to Launceston for $28 return and Melbourne to Sydney for the same price. Plus tiger between Adelaide and Alice Springs for around $90 return and various other flights with Tiger and Virgin around $30. Though it did help that I was very flexible with dates.

Even if you can't find these, chose a flight on Jetstar etc. then print out the screen and take it into flight centre. They will normally quote you around $2 more but they will beat the price you printed out by a dollar and give you a $20 voucher. If you do this everytime you basically get $21 off every flight you take!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Wow, you need to shop around more! I flew Jetstar: Melbourne to Launceston for $28 return and Melbourne to Sydney for the same price. Plus tiger between Adelaide and Alice Springs for around $90 return and various other flights with Tiger and Virgin around $30. Though it did help that I was very flexible with dates.

Even if you can't find these, chose a flight on Jetstar etc. then print out the screen and take it into flight centre. They will normally quote you around $2 more but they will beat the price you printed out by a dollar and give you a $20 voucher. If you do this everytime you basically get $21 off every flight you take!
    Well, book earlier. Yes, there are really cheap flights but they always go quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Well, book earlier. Yes, there are really cheap flights but they always go quickly.
    Yeah, but then I guess that's the same everywhere. Definitely get flight centre to price match the internet prices though - it's really easy to do and there didn't appear to be any catches at all.

ReputationRep:
    Jetstar is generally always the way to go for cheap airfares in Oz. Not always terribly reliable, but thats what you get for budget travel I s'pose. I do rather like the idea of a ferry, though We always call it 'crossing the ditch'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.