Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so we did a Higher English Close Reading NAB a couple of months back and I failed it getting 11/30 (or is it 25?) I didnt think I'd done too badly at the time but thought I'd done ok, but I still ended up failing it.

So I had to do a resit today. And it was apparently one of the easiest higher Close Reading NABs. Well I thought it went really well, and I'd answered most things adequately (and I'd been reading the closer reading how to pass books and how to go about answering each type question and to put things in your own words). And I managed to finish it in time this time.

However, when my teacher marked it she said she was struggling to give me 15 marks, and I just scraped it or something? So I'm assuming that means I passed, but maybe in the real exam I would have failed.

But I don't get it, I felt I'd wrote the right things and understood everything, yet still managed to do badly on it? What the hell am I doing wrong?

Do any of you feel the same about Higher English Close Reading. And what's even more strange is that I was never really good at Close Reading in standard grade, and didnt understand it yet still got 1s and 2s. Yet in Higher, I feel I AM understanding it more and answering properly, yet am failing? Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McWolf)
    Ok, so we did a Higher English Close Reading NAB a couple of months back and I failed it getting 11/30 (or is it 25?) I didnt think I'd done too badly at the time but thought I'd done ok, but I still ended up failing it.

So I had to do a resit today. And it was apparently one of the easiest higher Close Reading NABs. Well I thought it went really well, and I'd answered most things adequately (and I'd been reading the closer reading how to pass books and how to go about answering each type question and to put things in your own words). And I managed to finish it in time this time.

However, when my teacher marked it she said she was struggling to give me 15 marks, and I just scraped it or something? So I'm assuming that means I passed, but maybe in the real exam I would have failed.

But I don't get it, I felt I'd wrote the right things and understood everything, yet still managed to do badly on it? What the hell am I doing wrong?

Do any of you feel the same about Higher English Close Reading. And what's even more strange is that I was never really good at Close Reading in standard grade, and didnt understand it yet still got 1s and 2s. Yet in Higher, I feel I AM understanding it more and answering properly, yet am failing? Ugh.
    Ah, the dreaded Higher English NABS! Don't worry about them! All you need to do is pass them. You'll get plenty of practise doing Close Reading throughout the year, and your marks will greatly improve, trust me. When you sit the Close Reading in the final exam, you'll have done loads of revision, and you'll understand how to write better answers. Once you understand exactly the kind of things they're wanting you to do, you'll be fine. By the end of Higher, we had gone over it so many times in class it was unreal. :eek: So don't worry!

Make sure you get some past papers, and keep practising them. I did Higher English last year and got an A, so if you need any help with Close Reading or anything just ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McWolf)

Higher Close Reading is awful- and this is coming from someone who had to retake due to crappy marks in that part.You need to elaborate a lot more in Higher and quite often you need two answers (answer and explanation) for one mark.

ReputationRep:
    God I hated higher English.

I found the close reading easier than critical essays. having said that, I did get a D on my first attempt :lol: (got a B second time round).

Tips I can give you are :

For Close Reading
    Make sure you read the questions thoroughly..
    Don't waffle, get straight to the point with your answers

For essays:
    Read the questions thoroughly.
    Memorise about 10-15 chunky relevant quotations for your prose/drama/poem and jot them down on a spare bit of paper at the start of the exam.

Good luck. I hate the fact how Higher English is such an essential subject even when it's so ****e, boring and was so badly taught at my school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.