The Student Room Group

Really quick question about "&"

Is it acceptable to use this in your personal statement instead of "and" as it takes up 1 character instead of 3 :colondollar:

I would ask my tutor but I won't be able to see him again before i finally send it off.

and also, would it be okay to alternate "maths" with "mathematics" ?

Final question :rolleyes: is it "math's" or "maths" my computer is underlining "maths" and is telling me to change it to "math's"... it's slightly confusing... :redface:

I think the UCAS form will delete the &. And it's maths.
Reply 2
Original post by supernova92
Final question :rolleyes: is it "math's" or "maths" my computer is underlining "maths" and is telling me to change it to "math's"... it's slightly confusing... :redface:

change it to the english (uk) dictionary

math's means "maths is" in american
Reply 3
Original post by Pheylan

Oh thanks :smile: but it is on uk english, however the red line has now gone... so i'm not sure what happened there.
Reply 4
& is not fine. Maths is fine.
Reply 5
Original post by tommydeaks
I think the UCAS form will delete the &. And it's maths.

Oh okay, just tried pasting it into ucas, nad saved it, and it does appear. Do you mean, when it's actually sent to the unis? Because surely if I've seen the final "version" they can't just change it?
Reply 6
Wow. No doubt you want to study maths...
Reply 7
Original post by spocckka
Wow. No doubt you want to study maths...

:colondollar:
Reply 8

Is it acceptable to use this in your personal statement instead of "and" as it takes up 1 character instead of 3 :colondollar:

I would ask my tutor but I won't be able to see him again before i finally send it off.

and also, would it be okay to alternate "maths" with "mathematics" ?

I wouldn't recommend using an ampersand in place of 'and'. It is not standard and will make your PS appear odd.
Reply 9
Original post by Kolya
I wouldn't recommend using an ampersand in place of 'and'. It is not standard and will make your PS appear odd.

Hmm, I suppose so. It probably wouldn't give me that many extra characters anyway... thanks :smile:
Oh okay, just tried pasting it into ucas, nad saved it, and it does appear. Do you mean, when it's actually sent to the unis? Because surely if I've seen the final "version" they can't just change it?

I thought the same thing but it seems that they delete quite a lot of signs and special letters(?,î
etc)
Reply 11
No! Don't do it! Maths is fine though.
Original post by Pheylan

Who is that in your sig? Every time I look at it, I have a crisis.
Reply 13
Original post by EskimoJo
No! Don't do it! Maths is fine though.

Okay! I've decided I shan't :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending