Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Labour MP wants all drugs legally available Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't think anyone's made a thread on this already, please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12005824

Good old Bob Ainsworth has proposed some very decent policies, not that they've got any chance of being passed any time soon. Just a shame he didn't say anything when he was actually responsible for the drugs policy.

Your thoughts?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I saw they are having a debate in the house over it apparently

Tbh he is right the war on drugs has been a massive failure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yeah I saw they are having a debate in the house over it apparently

Tbh he is right the war on drugs has been a massive failure
    And everyone knows it. Do you think that if a party decided to include it in a manifesto it'd get them more votes, or is it still too risky?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midpikyrozziy)
    And everyone knows it. Do you think that if a party decided to include it in a manifesto it'd get them more votes, or is it still too risky?
    Think its to risky. You would lose a lot of votes from older voters.

ReputationRep:
    No chance, they would lose a large amount of the Middle-England vote.

He speaks so much sense. It's a shame he's no longer in a position to influence this policy getting anywhere.

I agree with the arguments hes making, it's important for more people to come out and say it. The subject is taboo and it's a shame that this means nobody wants to discuss it.

I know Ben Bradshaw, my local MP, supports legalising drugs. But he never talks about it. Last weekend Steve Baker MP was discussing the promotion of libertarian ideas but he said discussing issues like drugs is a bad idea and will just lose support.

But the only way to change the situation and allow the idea to gain support is to end this taboo. The more people who come out support legalisation openly, the more the general public might actually consider that there is some merit to the argument.

Realistically - does an MP have more to lose than to gain from supporting this? I'd say yes, especially if they're a Conservative. But hopefully that can gradually change, it seems to be a very slow process though!

ReputationRep:
        Joys about being an mp that doesnt matter, You can say what you like!

ReputationRep:
        The War on Drugs has pigeonholed the electorate in politically, mainstream parties won't be seriously advocating reform for a while just 'cause it won't fly with the bulk of middle England. Nice to see an MP standing for it but it's ultimately fruitless.

ReputationRep:
        He proposed that hard drugs such as cocaine be available on prescription. I can't even comprehend how insane it would be for a government to be manufacturing hard drugs to appease unrelenting addicts and users. Just ****ing madness.

Why don't we legalize child trafficking so we can marginalize the gangsters that run those circles? Also some of his arguments are way too broad. He says it would take the gangs out of drugs... No it wouldn't. They would still be there... dealing illegally perhaps for cheaper prices but at a greater demand due to limits on prescriptions. Also does he think the people involved in drugs would simply give up and become good citizens? Really? They'd just move on to other stuff. Does he propose legalizing EVERY drug? Because if he doesn't then there will still be dealers and perhaps an increased demand in whatever remains illegal. This would also perhaps increase drug related violence as gangs now compete against each other regarding whatever remains illegal. If every drug is made legal then I leave it to you as to what madness will ensue.

Also just because they'd be legal doesn't mean the stigma surrounding users wouldn't disappear. Surely it would be available on some sort of record and many would turn to dealers for anonymity.

Granted it could slightly reduce drug related crime and the risks of impure drugs it would open up much more people to the risks and effects that come with use of such drugs. Do we really need that on top of alcohol?

Madness.

ReputationRep:
        Wouldn't work. Very simple scare tactics radically changed the marijauna vote in california. Any person proposing legalised heroin WILL lose.

ReputationRep:
        Well Bobby can say whatever he wants to appeal to voters. The whole of democracy depends on gullibility and h e knows that. So when it's Labour's time to be in power again he will do a complete U-turn. Don't forget that even David Cameron supported the legalisation of all drugs from the backbenches in opposition.

ReputationRep:
        Is he being srs? Do I really wanna see people snorting coke on the streets and going insane - hell naw.

ReputationRep:
        The war on drugs hasn't worked, and will never work. There is definitely a case for decriminalising or legalising a lot of drugs. I dont think legalising things like heroin or crystal meth is a good idea though.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by thisisnew)
        He proposed that hard drugs such as cocaine be available on prescription. I can't even comprehend how insane it would be for a government to be manufacturing hard drugs to appease unrelenting addicts and users. Just ****ing madness.

Why don't we legalize child trafficking so we can marginalize the gangsters that run those circles? Also some of his arguments are way too broad. He says it would take the gangs out of drugs... No it wouldn't. They would still be there... dealing illegally perhaps for cheaper prices but at a greater demand due to limits on prescriptions. Also does he think the people involved in drugs would simply give up and become good citizens? Really? They'd just move on to other stuff. Does he propose legalizing EVERY drug? Because if he doesn't then there will still be dealers and perhaps an increased demand in whatever remains illegal. This would also perhaps increase drug related violence as gangs now compete against each other regarding whatever remains illegal. If every drug is made legal then I leave it to you as to what madness will ensue.

Also just because they'd be legal doesn't mean the stigma surrounding users wouldn't disappear. Surely it would be available on some sort of record and many would turn to dealers for anonymity.

Granted it could slightly reduce drug related crime and the risks of impure drugs it would open up much more people to the risks and effects that come with use of such drugs. Do we really need that on top of alcohol?

Madness.

Because child trafficking causes harm to other people.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by thisisnew)
        Why don't we legalize child trafficking so we can marginalize the gangsters that run those circles?
        That's the a completely false parallel, I know loads of people who do coke, yet I know no nonces. Additionally, child trafficking clearly isn't a victimless crime, which drug use would be were it legal and organised crime was taken out of the equation.

ReputationRep:
        Maybe they should make alcohol illegal and make weed and mdma legal. They'd get my vote.

ReputationRep:
        I reckon there should be a distinction between soft and hard drugs. Soft drugs such as MDMA, cannabis and LSD should be legalised and the sales regulated. Harder drugs like heroin and methamphetamine should be decriminalised and addictions treated like medical cases rather than criminal (see: portugal).
        However this is probably far too sensible for government policy as proved by the recent proposal to remove the requirement for scientists and experts on the ACMD. Absolute idiots.

ReputationRep:
        Yeah why not give them prescriptions on the NHS, then instead of them telling cancer patients "sorry, the drug you require is just too expensive and it would be uneconomical to give it to you" they can say "oh yeah about that drug you needed, we could have gotten it but that heroin addict over there needed his fix, maybe next time ey".
        How would handing the management of hard drugs to the already struggling NHS work?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by jimcatinnes)
        Yeah why not give them prescriptions on the NHS, then instead of them telling cancer patients "sorry, the drug you require is just too expensive and it would be uneconomical to give it to you" they can say "oh yeah about that drug you needed, we could have gotten it but that heroin addict over there needed his fix, maybe next time ey".
        How would handing the management of hard drugs to the already struggling NHS work?

I'm sure the revenue generated by a tax on drugs would help the cause somewhat.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.