Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Got pulled over by the police... why did he let me off? Watch

Ok so I was just driving in my local town tonight... Its a stupid thing to forget but I hadn't put my lights on. I didn't really notice too much as the town was well lit. This policeman pulled me over (the first time I've ever been pulled over!!) I didn't know why so I was quite freaked out. My friend was with me in the car but the policeman was like sat there speaking on his mic thing and then I had to get in the police car and he gave me a talk. I was looking really freaked out and I was like I'm really sorry that I forgot. The policeman said to me its ok, I think you've been shaken enough.. I am not going to give you a fine this time.. but just remember etc etc (he was such a hot policeman too!!!) so yeah, afterwards I was thinking if I was some kind of boy racer looking guy, or just a guy in general.. would he have given a fine? I got the impression because I was a girl and looking all sad he was just like its ok! Am I right in thinking this??????

ReputationRep:
    Don't flatter yourself.

I'm not.. I am just saying why wasn't I given a fine for this?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, if you're polite and genuinely apologetic for a seemingly genuine mistake - as yours was - the police are usually generous enough to let you off with a verbal warning.

I've been dressed like a boy-racer before when pulled over driving a VW Golf with slick alloys and a pimped LED-decorated sound system (even though I'm not really a boy-racer) and giving the traffic police some respect and a sincere apology has gotten me off with a warning more than once. :top:

They're not out to be mean, just keep the roads safe so if it's a genuine mistake then say it is and be up front. Oh and make sure you have insurance and all that legal stuff lol - car is road-worthy, MOT'ed and 'clean' if you get me.

ReputationRep:
    He obviously thought it was too minor a thing to be properly fined on since you say it was well lit, maybe a little lenient?

(Original post by tonberry)
    Because he wanted his truncheon rubbed
    ...Or this. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Probably cos it was a well lit town so it was an honest mistake, and he felt he had made a big enough impression that you wouldn't do it again?

ReputationRep:
    HE OBVIOUSLY FANCIES YOU... Well that's what you wanted us to say by the tone of your post.

ReputationRep:
    Does it not cross your mind that everyone forgets to turn their lights on at some point in their driving career, and when you're a young driver you're probably most likely to do it, so this human being realised that a fine really isn't necessary, because they're a human being!

Not having your lights on is nothing, you can get away with much worse if you're polite and realise what you've done (I'm not saying that you should!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok so I was just driving in my local town tonight... Its a stupid thing to forget but I hadn't put my lights on. I didn't really notice too much as the town was well lit. This policeman pulled me over (the first time I've ever been pulled over!!) I didn't know why so I was quite freaked out. My friend was with me in the car but the policeman was like sat there speaking on his mic thing and then I had to get in the police car and he gave me a talk. I was looking really freaked out and I was like I'm really sorry that I forgot. The policeman said to me its ok, I think you've been shaken enough.. I am not going to give you a fine this time.. but just remember etc etc (he was such a hot policeman too!!!) so yeah, afterwards I was thinking if I was some kind of boy racer looking guy, or just a guy in general.. would he have given a fine? I got the impression because I was a girl and looking all sad he was just like its ok! Am I right in thinking this??????
    Well my little friend, allow me to regale you with the tale of the delta function and the police officer in an unmarked police car.

I was doing silly speeds on the North Circular, slowing down for cameras, speeding up again, and so on and so forth. So, I was going really fast, and it dawned on me that the chaps in the car behind me - who had done a superb job of keeping up - might, just might be more than annoying tail gaters who were using me as a forward guard against the gatsos (a practice your humble delta function regularly engages in on routes he is not familiar with- I call it slip streaming). Just at that moment, I slowed down, and the blue lights came on with a very angry looking chap gesturing me to "pull over", though the force of his pointing at the pavement suggested it was more like "pull the **** over".

So, there I was standing before one of the gents, with smile on my face which conveyed a sense of "lol, yeh, aint even gonna bother", while his partner did the usual business of checking the plates on my car, etc.

"So, let's hear it then"
    "sorry"
    "you know you were being an arse right?"
    " guess so"
    "no, you WERE being an arse...give me one reason not to book you right now"
    "don't have one"
    [10 minute lecture about how Im not a good driver as I think - killing someone would ruin my life etc]
    "You are VERY lucky I'm going to let you off, VERY lucky"
    "thanks, I appreciate it"

Tl;dr, no not necessarily.

ReputationRep:
    I bet you are an attractive, young blonde. If so, there is your reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Well my little friend, allow me to regale you with the tale of the delta function and the police officer in an unmarked police car.

I was doing silly speeds on the North Circular, slowing down for cameras, speeding up again, and so on and so forth. So, I was going really fast, and it dawned on me that the chaps in the car behind me - who had done a superb job of keeping up - might, just might be more than annoying tail gaters who were using me as a forward guard against the gatsos (a practice your humble delta function regularly engages in on routes he is not familiar with- I call it slip streaming). Just at that moment, I slowed down, and the blue lights came on with a very angry looking chap gesturing me to "pull over", though the force of his pointing at the pavement suggested it was more like "pull the **** over".

So, there I was standing before one of the gents, with smile on my face which conveyed a sense of "lol, yeh, aint even gonna bother", while his partner did the usual business of checking the plates on my car, etc.

"So, let's hear it then"
    "sorry"
    " guess so"
    "don't have one"
    [10 minute lecture about how Im not a good driver as I think - killing someone would ruin my life etc]

Lol you truly are a masterof your domain. So If the car infront of you is speeding and you bum up behind it the cameras won't get you? It'll still be a funny photo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    Lol you truly are a masterof your domain. So If the car infront of you is speeding and you bum up behind it the cameras won't get you? It'll still be a funny photo
    No, I pick someone going fast, and keep up with them, but at some distance - enough to slow down if he gets clicked. You should try it.*

*I do not endorse this advice

ReputationRep:
    That's such a minor. I've known people to be stopped for dangerous driving and not given fines. During my sister's younger days, she once dangerously overtook a car but was let off by the police. She was also once texting behind the wheel and a policeman in an unmarked car flashed his badge at the traffic lights. She had to pull over and he gave her a real telling off. She was remorseful and was let off.

The second poster is right, don't flatter yourself. It all depends on the person you get and how you respond to them.

I'm fortunate that I've never been stopped for anything. I don't use my phone behind the wheel, I'm fortunate that my lights have got sensors and so I've never had to remember turning them on. The only thing I can get stopped for is speeding on motorways but then so far I've been lucky.

One time a policeman did follow me for ages because I wasn't paying due attention when I made a turn at a roundabout and it must have looked really dodgy. I reckon he was just making checks on my car though.

ReputationRep:
    If anything, he probably thought your response was a bit pathetic really. It's a minor thing, he was just giving you a reminder, you don't need to apologise to policemen for making mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    You're reading far too much into it. You could have had chrome spinners and a sub playing 'Riding Dirty' and he would have still let you off. You must really have to encounter a grade A **** to get a fine for no lights.

ReputationRep:

"So, let's hear it then"
    "sorry"
    " guess so"
    "don't have one"

Oh I always do heavy speeds on the North Circular too, although I don't like the drivers start dangerously weaving in and out of traffic. I only do high speeds when it's a bit clear. I'm clued up on most of the gastos.

ReputationRep:
    It's not as if you had purposefully decided to drive without lights on.

Purposefully deciding to drink and drive or go over the speed limit and you would've got a fine.

A fine for accidently not putting your lights on would be pretty rare. And you would've eventually realised after all the people flashing you to remind you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    probably took pity on you coz he saw you were ****ting yourself

ReputationRep:
    You need to get your car kitted up like my old one was, valentine one radar/laser detector, blinder M45 laser jammers, snooper syrius GPS based detector...

Still wouldn't have saved me in the situation you describe but you can't have everything :p:

Just before the ban on the use of radar detectors in the UK came into force, I got pulled over with my V1 turned on (the policeman heard me slowing down) and I decided to be honest.

"What's that?"
    "It's a radar detector"
    "What's it for?"
    "Detecting radar"
    "Why's it in your car?"
    "So I can detect radar"
    "Where'd you get it?"
    "A radar detector shop"

Apparently, total honesty just comes across as being cheeky
    I would probably have been a bit more apologetic had I actually been caught committing an offence...

Thank christ they didn't find the jammers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    You need to get your car kitted up like my old one was, valentine one radar/laser detector, blinder M45 laser jammers, snooper syrius GPS based detector...

Still wouldn't have saved me in the situation you describe but you can't have everything :p:

Just before the ban on the use of radar detectors in the UK came into force, I got pulled over with my V1 turned on (the policeman heard me slowing down) and I decided to be honest.

"What's that?"
    "It's a radar detector"
    "What's it for?"
    "Detecting radar"
    "Why's it in your car?"
    "So I can detect radar"
    "Where'd you get it?"
    "A radar detector shop"

Apparently, total honesty just comes across as being cheeky
    I would probably have been a bit more apologetic had I actually been caught committing an offence...

Thank christ they didn't find the jammers
    I have the the image of u in a matte black corsa with a huge sattelite on top. was it like the bat mobile inside?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.