Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Which do you prefer?

You can interpret the question to mean both the books and the films. Do you perhaps prefer the books of, say, Harry Potter, and the films for LOTR? Or vice versa? Which do you think has had the greatest impact on the fantasy genre, the film industry and modern fantasy literature? Do you think Harry Potter will grow to be more influential than LOTR in later years?

Discuss...

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings is better . The films anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Film wise, I'd have to go for Lord of the Rings. Epic battles, Epic setting, Epic Soundtrack.

But Book wise, I'd have to say Harry Potter. Lord of the Rings is a nice read, but a bit heavy going!!

ReputationRep:
    I reckon Harry potter will become the way what star wars is now.

Lord of the rings is a awesome trilogy, i mean i love it but i just dont think its gonna be as famous in maybe 10 or 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    Well the LOTR films are better than the Harry Potter ones, but I love the HP books and haven't read the LOTR ones.

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings for both films and books. I like the Harry Potter books, but they're not a touch on Tolkien's work.

Similarly, Harry Potter has not had much of an influence on Modern Fantasy as Lord of the Rings; the latter pretty much created High Fantasy whilst the former just works within an already established genre, which the author takes little notice of and it takes little notice of her.

Lord of the Rings will always be the more influential work.

(Original post by masterswapy)
    Lord of the rings is a awesome trilogy, i mean i love it but i just dont think its gonna be as famous in maybe 10 or 20 years.
    It's not a trilogy and you make me laugh with the latter point. The book is over 50 years old and is still one the most influential and popular books in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Lord of The Rings. Books. Films.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a HP fan as well, it's only that LOTR is more badass villain wise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPTyuYnAd8s

ReputationRep:
    I think the more important question is:

Gandalf vs Dumbledore - who would win?

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to go with the LOTR films, simply because of their sheer epicness The books is a closer one, I really like the LOTR books, but I'd probably have to go with Harry Potter, because it's a more fun read, although it'd depend what mood I was in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    I think the more important question is:

Dumbledore vs Gandalf - who would win?
    Gandalf would kick dumbledoores ass!

would be a good fight though

ReputationRep:
    The LOTR books aren't easy reads, very heavy duty but the story is timeless. HP books on the other hand are far more accessible. It's tough to compare them really because they are so different.

As for the films, LOTR every time... those films have got to be three of the greatest films in cinema ever. The HP films are pretty crap to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    LOTR for films, HP for books. I've read LOTR and it was great but it was long and difficult whereas Harry Potter is something which I have read like ten times and never got sick of. the HP films are good but nothing compared to the books whereas the LOTR films are fantastic and do the books justice for me.

ReputationRep:

:sexface:

:lolwhut:

Erm, LOTRs...obviously.

ReputationRep:
    They're both the same

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the mother ****ing rings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterswapy)
    I reckon Harry potter will become the way what star wars is now.
    Whereas LotR is already more of a classic than Star Wars

The Lord of the Rings trilogy was finished in the fifties and remains the epitome of fantasy literature and you are saying that Harry Potter is/will be more legendary? What makes you think that another 10 years is going to see LotR fade into obscurity? What you're saying is akin to seeing a baby in a Pampers' advert and saying "I reckon that guy'll be bigger than Pacino."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSadReaper)
    Gandalf would kick dumbledoores ass!

would be a good fight though
    You think? I reckon Gandalf would be prancing around with his staff and shouting epic stuff... and then Dumbledore would turn invisible, turn Gandalfs hat into a big fat turd and create a wall of fire to pwn his arse.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care what people say about Frodo and Sam's friendship, LOTR still OWNS Harry Potter in both Film and Literature!

The Lord of the Rings, obviously. People who say LOTR is a difficult read must have half a brain. The Silmarillion on the other hand...
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by HumanNature1992)
      They're both the same
      Are you jokin?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.