Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of getting a cheapish phone on contract and there are deals for the blackberry curve 8520 for around £15 a month, but these are two year contracts. I'm worried that by that time the phone will be outdated so will this be a good investment?
    Im not particularly into bbm or social networking but the phone seems small, reasonably cheap and blackberry's are quite popular at the moment.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for similar types of phones or will the blackberry be a good investment?
    Any advice is welcome. Thanks

amoled

ReputationRep:
    its a decent phone. Even though theres an updated version out, we still sell the BB8520 more than the newer version. If they do stop selling BB will still continue to priovide software updates/warranty etc. and if you take out insurance with the handset, and u were to lose it, you would recieve the newer model of the BB8520 if it stopped producing
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    The BB 8520 was **** when it came out and it's **** now. To have this phone for 2 years would be a bad move due to the points I pointed out before. I suggest getting a Nokia phone, I got the E63 about 18 months ago it does everything the high end BB does yet only cost me [email protected] for 18 months with unlimited internet. I know for a fact this phone was going for [email protected] month a few months back.

RIM wont continue to support the 8520 because the phone's hardware is extremely poor, it doesn't even have 3G :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    In total honesty, all Blackberry phones are outdated compared to other smartphones out there. Even their newest one the BB Torch is pretty low end in comparison to the iPhone 4, high end android phones or the new Windows Phone 7 phones.

Go for the Curve 3G/9300 instead.

Also, thread crapping is getting boring in this forum. iPhone 4s, 'high end' Android phones and WP7 phones are not cheap, and so are irrelevant in this topic.

ReputationRep:
      if you are not planning to use BBM alot I would go for cheap superfone but they are boring really

ReputationRep:
      I have a Curve 8520 on a two year contract with Orange (that I got out in August) and I really love it. I understand that this is an entry-level BlackBerry and that it doesn't have 3G but honestly thus far I've had no problems with it and it does everything that I want it too and I find it aesthetically pleasing also (not to mention that because this is a very popular model there are hundreds of different cases available). I use it daily for all of these things SMS, calling (the obvious two), email, Facebook, browsing the internet (via both GPRS (yes at times it can be slow because of the lack of 3G but it really just depends what web page your trying to load) and Wi-Fi), BBM, PingChat (this app is great like BBM but for all smartphones!) amongst other things. There are a variety of different places you can get apps from (not just the mundane BlackBerry App World) and today I just downloaded the Amazon Kindle App, it only supposed to be available in the US but it works fine. If your thinking of getting a cheapish phone but want one that's going to deliver the good I would seriously consider getting a BlackBerry Curve 8520!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mikl_c)
      I have a Curve 8520 on a two year contract with Orange (that I got out in August) and I really love it. I understand that this is an entry-level BlackBerry and that it doesn't have 3G but honestly thus far I've had no problems with it and it does everything that I want it too and I find it aesthetically pleasing also (not to mention that because this is a very popular model there are hundreds of different cases available). I use it daily for all of these things SMS, calling (the obvious two), email, Facebook, browsing the internet (via both GPRS (yes at times it can be slow because of the lack of 3G but it really just depends what web page your trying to load) and Wi-Fi), BBM, PingChat (this app is great like BBM but for all smartphones!) amongst other things. There are a variety of different places you can get apps from (not just the mundane BlackBerry App World) and today I just downloaded the Amazon Kindle App, it only supposed to be available in the US but it works fine. If your thinking of getting a cheapish phone but want one that's going to deliver the good I would seriously consider getting a BlackBerry Curve 8520!

Thank you for your response sounds like a decent but reasonably priced phone. Im not too bothered about slow internet as i doubt i'll use it for that. My only worry is that im not into bbm as I don't really know that many ppl with it. But all in all I would say that it seems to be a good phone. I think the new version the 9300 has a 3g so i might look at that instead

Sorry to many of the posts above i would prefer to get a phone like and iphone or htc but they are much more expensive so that isnt really an option.

The reason i hesitate to buy this is that im not really into bbm so are there better alternatives for the same cost?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by amoled)
      Thank you for your response sounds like a decent but reasonably priced phone.
      No bother, glad I could help

(Original post by amoled)
      Sorry to many of the posts above i would prefer to get a phone like and iphone or htc but they are much more expensive so that isnt really an option.
      You know there is an alternative if you really like the overall look of the iPhone that is much cheaper if (like me) you can't really afford one of the price plans and that's to install the iBerry theme onto your BlackBerry which emulates the iPhone's setup very well. I've hummed and hared about downloading it (got it from Crackberry) for a while and then seen that the original version was on sale for $1.99 (£1.39 (Paid via PayPal)) and so I thought I've got nothing to lose and so I did and am really impressed by it. There's a newer one that emulates the iPhone 4 setup but currently it's priced at $4.99 so I think I'll wait until that comes down in price. Might be worth having a look at for you. Here's the link in case your interested http://software.crackberry.com/produ...30870&n=iBerry

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.