Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can ringworm often be confused with eczema? Watch

I went to see the nurse today to see if I can get some more cream for reoccurring ringworm, I shown her a sample on my foot that'd been treated lately with cream and she said it looked more like eczema...

How can this happen? It's not itchy like eczema, but it's not itchy like ringworm supposedly is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I went to see the nurse today to see if I can get some more cream for reoccurring ringworm, I shown her a sample on my foot that'd been treated lately with cream and she said it looked more like eczema...

How can this happen? It's not itchy like eczema, but it's not itchy like ringworm supposedly is...
    depending on how experienced she is, she may have confused ringworm for some type of eczema (contact dermatitis perhaps). If she took a medical history she should have been able to diagnose it...

quite sure ringworm is a fungal infecton? Did you get the medicine for it in the end?

(Original post by bunty64)
    depending on how experienced she is, she may have confused ringworm for some type of eczema (contact dermatitis perhaps). If she took a medical history she should have been able to diagnose it...

quite sure ringworm is a fungal infecton? Did you get the medicine for it in the end?
    Well I went to see a nurse (who I requested after today but unfortunately was ill) and she said it was ringworm (i had a few years ago) and gave me some cream.
    I took the cream with me today 'cus there's only a little bit left, and told this new nurse about the past experience with it, and she gave me some cream that helps with eczema to see what happens :s

ReputationRep:
    Well I went to see a nurse (who I requested after today but unfortunately was ill) and she said it was ringworm (i had a few years ago) and gave me some cream.
    I took the cream with me today 'cus there's only a little bit left, and told this new nurse about the past experience with it, and she gave me some cream that helps with eczema to see what happens :s
    ringworm and eczema are two different skin complaints. ringworm is a fungal infection and eczema is usually skin inflammation due to some allergic response.
    If you have no history of eczema but do have one of ringworm, then would think it is a reaccurance of the latter.

could get a second opinion or ask your pharmacist for some ringworm cream (not sure if you can get it without prescription).....
    or write a note to your gp (provided he prescribed you with the initial cream for the ringworm) asking for a repeat prescription for a reaccurance of ringworm.

ReputationRep:
    Just use the eczema cream and see if it get's any better, if not then get some ringworm cream. Infact wont normal athletes foot cream or spray work on ringworm?

(Original post by bunty64)
    ringworm and eczema are two different skin complaints. ringworm is a fungal infection and eczema is usually skin inflammation due to some allergic response.
    If you have no history of eczema but do have one of ringworm, then would think it is a reaccurance of the latter.

could get a second opinion or ask your pharmacist for some ringworm cream (not sure if you can get it without prescription).....
    or write a note to your gp (provided he prescribed you with the initial cream for the ringworm) asking for a repeat prescription for a reaccurance of ringworm.
    If I remember correctly, I had a minor case of eczema when I was younger too..
    I read that ringworm is contagious and can be passed from human to human or animal to human... And my partner hasn't got anything from me.. And I've not been around no animals to have enough contact to transfer the fungi.
    Plus I don't think you can get treatment creams for ringworm over the counter

(Original post by Law123mus)
    Just use the eczema cream and see if it get's any better, if not then get some ringworm cream. Infact wont normal athletes foot cream or spray work on ringworm?
    This is what I'm gonna do, if it doesnt clear up by after xmas then I'm gonna get another apt to get some more cream. Maybe a more potent cream for ringworm.

I have no idea about the athletes foot cream though.. That'd be interesting if it did work!

ReputationRep:
    If I remember correctly, I had a minor case of eczema when I was younger too..
    I read that ringworm is contagious and can be passed from human to human or animal to human... And my partner hasn't got anything from me.. And I've not been around no animals to have enough contact to transfer the fungi.
    Plus I don't think you can get treatment creams for ringworm over the counter
    It doesn't mean that everyone will be contaminated.... suppose it depends on thier immunity etc... who knows how got the ringworm/eczema...

I'd get a second opinion or you could use the eczema cream (won't clear it up if it is ringworm)...

Please go and see an actual doctor not a nurse.

Nurses are great if they know what they are doing but it sounds like this one is just having a guess.

Dermatology is rather difficult stuff sometimes, and if you get it wrong it can be disasterous.
      After all the treatment for eczema is a steroid cream. Put that on what is in essence a skin infection and all it does is make it spread.

"Mistreatment of tinea cruris with topical steroids can result in exacerbation of the disease. Although patients may note initial relief of symptoms, the infection may spread."
      http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1091806-followup

(Tinea Cruris is ringworm but specific to groin area. Same applies to ringworm anywhere though)

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.