The Student Room Group

Psychology at Bradford University??

Hi Guys,
I've got an Unconditional offer from Bradford Uni -Psychology (as I am outsiede of the UK one fundation handled my application and they advised Bradford..)
and now I've been reading that this is not a very good place to study to say the least..and I really don't know what to do because if I apply through usac myself I'll lose my place at Bradford, and if I don't get any other offer than I'm srewed..
Can anyone advise me??
Is Bradford really that bad??

I'd kindly appreciate your help/advice

Scroll to see replies

I would rather save the £20k, to be very honest.
Reply 2
GoodSpeach, so you wouldn't rather study at Bradford Uni? I thought I could get a student loan which as it offen happens I wouldn't have to repay (as my future income wouldn't excess 15k).

Or do you suggest that in general for an EU student it's not worth studing in the UK anymore?
Original post by aga83
GoodSpeach, so you wouldn't rather study at Bradford Uni? I thought I could get a student loan which as it offen happens I wouldn't have to repay (as my future income wouldn't excess 15k).

Or do you suggest that in general for an EU student it's not worth studing in the UK anymore?

Loans arent the point, you're still paying for this education, and frankly studying at Bradford isn't worth it. It'd rather not have the degree.
Reply 4
Original post by aga83
Hi Guys,
I've got an Unconditional offer from Bradford Uni -Psychology (as I am outsiede of the UK one fundation handled my application and they advised Bradford..)
and now I've been reading that this is not a very good place to study to say the least..and I really don't know what to do because if I apply through usac myself I'll lose my place at Bradford, and if I don't get any other offer than I'm srewed..
Can anyone advise me??
Is Bradford really that bad??

I'd kindly appreciate your help/advice

A degree is a degree, but if you don't enjoy studying it you won't do very well and you'll have wasted a lot of money. It's up to you to weigh up the costs and benefits.
Original post by EKR93
A degree is a degree

it's not.
A friend I know personally is studying Psychology at the University of Bradford and he is a bright lad with a bright future. My advice to you is to do your research and visit the University independant of any potentially misleading 3rd party comments.
Reply 7
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
it's not.

Says the Psychology degree student? :rolleyes:
Original post by EKR93
Says the Psychology degree student? :rolleyes:

I sense the bitterness of an expoly student.

Unfortunately, it does matter where you study.
Reply 9
I sense the bitterness of an expoly student.

Unfortunately, it does matter where you study.

No I've not been to university yet, I just didn't understand what you meant by a degree not being a degree when clearly it is.
Original post by EKR93
No I've not been to university yet, I just didn't understand what you meant by a degree not being a degree when clearly it is.

I take it you are drawing upon your wealth of experience in regards to the graduate market place to make these conclusions?

Silly school children. Isn't it passed your bed time yet?
(edited 13 years ago)
Bradford's not that bad! If you mean as a city (I don't know anything about the university's psychology department) There are some unpleasant areas but they exist in almost every city...I think that you should come and visit and decide for yourself whether you like it. There are people who will say awful things about it (who don't actually live in Bradford) and others who will say they really like it - so you should make your choice based on what you think, if you get the oportunity to visit. :smile:
Original post by un-besito
Bradford's not that bad! If you mean as a city (I don't know anything about the university's psychology department)

As far as I know, Bradford is on the 'high risk' list of the universities facing serious risk of having to close after the recent cuts in funding.
Reply 13
I take it you are drawing upon your wealth of experience in regards to the graduate market place to make these conclusions?

Silly school children.

Well from working at a law firm for a year prior to starting college who do not care which university you came from as long as your qualifications and experience are decent, yes I do have a little bit of knowledge on what that particular firm looks for.

You do not know me, and yet you assume somehow I am below you? Yeah, sure. Get a life you pathetic moron. I'm sorry for disagreeing with your 'knowledge' that a degree from one university is somehow worth less than another even though the credits are the same. The prestige of the university is something else entirely.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by EKR93
Well from working at a law firm for a year prior to starting college who do not care which university you came from as long as your qualifications and experience are decent, yes I do have a little bit of knowledge on what that particular firm looks for.

You do not know me, and yet you assume somehow I am below you? Yeah, sure. Get a life you pathetic moron.

LOL. So you are extrapolating what one person at one law firm said to the entire graduate market? Hahahahahahaha.
Reply 15
LOL. So you are extrapolating what one person at one law firm said to the entire graduate market? Hahahahahahaha.

Did I say that? No, I am giving an example that what you think is not necessarily the truth.
Original post by EKR93
Did I say that? No, I am giving an example that what you think is not necessarily the truth.

Cool story. I hope it will help you to hold back the tears when you're unemployed after six months and you're £20k in debt because you got a degree from a university that used to be a leisure centre.
Reply 17
Original post by EKR93

You do not know me, and yet you assume somehow I am below you? Yeah, sure. Get a life you pathetic moron. I'm sorry for disagreeing with your 'knowledge' that a degree from one university is somehow worth less than another even though the credits are the same. The prestige of the university is something else entirely.

Stop talking bull****. For a Psychology degree, the standard of the department is integral to what you take from the degree, where you will go, who will employ you, and who will accept you for postgraduate study. Psychology is a lot different from many other degrees. The standard of research, the BPS accreditation etc are just some of the things which are taken into account.

OP is talking about Psychology. This is the Psychology forum. GodSpeed is talking about Psychology. You however are not, so in the interest of helping the OP make the best decision, it's probably a good idea that you leave. :h:

EDIT: And in response to the thread, I would not suggest taking up the offer from Bradford. Go where your grades will take you. It is not a good idea to play it so safe.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Cool story. I hope it will help you to hold back the tears when you're unemployed after six months and you're £20k in debt because you got a degree from a university that used to be a leisure centre.

Yawn. Heard it all before, nothing guarantees you won't be in the same position so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Very tetchy all because I said 'a degree is a degree'. Didn't realise that would stir up so much hate for someone studying one...
Reply 19
Original post by aliluvschoc
Stop talking bull****. For a Psychology degree, the standard of the department is integral to what you take from the degree, where you will go, who will employ you, and who will accept you for postgraduate study. Psychology is a lot different from many other degrees. The standard of research, the BPS accreditation etc are just some of the things which are taken into account.

OP is talking about Psychology. This is the Psychology forum. GodSpeed is talking about Psychology. You however are not, so in the interest of helping the OP make the best decision, it's probably a good idea that you leave. :h:

EDIT: And in response to the thread, I would not suggest taking up the offer from Bradford. Go where your grades will take you. It is not a good idea to play it so safe.

Yeah I know, I was giving an example of how some places in the graduate market don't take where you got your degree from into account, get off your high horse.

Quick Reply

Latest