Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dealing with students from different cultures Watch

ReputationRep:
    I must admit when I went around a new friends house from Omar and he started boiling up 4 tea bags in a pot I did find it a bit weird....but I guess these are the different customs for making tea.

Have you had any strange encounters with the mundane with students from different cultures?

ReputationRep:
    My housemate from Hong Kong will not drink water unless she's personally boiled it. She also will not eat lettuce unless it's been boiled. :lolwut:

Also, when she speaks in Cantonese she always speaks a whole lot louder for some reason. Be it on the bus, Skype, in the kitchen, around campus.

ReputationRep:
    TBH people in different houses make tea differently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    ...when she speaks in Cantonese...
    I'm impressed that you know it's not Mandarin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    I'm impressed that you know it's not Mandarin
    Well, being my friend, she tells me things. :wink2:

Though I would have thought it was Mandarin if I'm honest. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    ^ Can you tell them apart?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    ^ Can you tell them apart?
    I've never heard her speak Mandarin. I don't think I'd ever know the difference though. I'm not even sure if she's that confident in Mandarin, she says it's not used much when she's in Hong Kong.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Maybe you've heard her speaking Mandarin but thought it was Cantonese :lol:

ReputationRep:
    What a racist and ignorant thread to start, disgusting. British culture is all to perfect isn't it, f*** other cultures eh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajtiesto)
    What a racist and ignorant thread to start, disgusting. British culture is all to perfect isn't it, f*** other cultures eh.
    :lolwut: You do realise nothing about this thread is racist or ignorant. Can't people find others customs weird? Or is that not allowed now?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I had this one friend who would only eat wild animals alive, make money by stealing hubcaps and had an amazing tendency to thieve. I think he was from Liverpool or something?

My apologies to the Liverpudlian whom took offence and negged me, Im just astonished that you were literate enough to read what I wrote :O JK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    :lolwut: You do realise nothing about this thread is racist or ignorant. Can't people find others customs weird? Or is that not allowed now?
    Why should you find it weird. Just because you have your British way of life and culture, does that mean people who have their own way of life and culture are weird. Not surprised, it's just a typical arrogant attitude shown by Brits.

ReputationRep:
    The other students in my flat are mainly internationals. I find it odd how they seem to have different standards of hygiene/laziness in the kitchen. Obviously this doesn't apply to all internatonal students though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulsmithfan)
    I must admit when I went around a new friends house from Omar and he started boiling up 4 tea bags in a pot I did find it a bit weird....but I guess these are the different customs for making tea.

Have you had any strange encounters with the mundane with students from different cultures?
    1) There isn't a country called 'Omar'. Perhaps you are thinking of Oman, the arab nation.

2) It makes perfect sense to boil 4 tea bags in a pot, going by the logic that 1 teabag = 1 cup of tea, a pot = between 3-6 depending on the size. He just wants to make sure his tea is strong enough, as any sane person would do.

Whether you mean it or not, this thread reeks of 'lets laugh at people from different cultures and how they do things differently to us'. Don't parade your ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    The other students in my flat are mainly internationals. I find it odd how they seem to have different standards of hygiene/laziness in the kitchen. Obviously this doesn't apply to all internatonal students though.
    Different people have different standards of hygiene regardless of where they come from. I myself am half Iranian, my two British housemates are absolute retards when it comes to washing up and taking the rubbish out, how exactly does that correlate to 'culture'? If I went ahead and said that by this logic all British teenagers are lazy imbeciles I would be a racist, would I not?

ReputationRep:
    Why should you find it weird. Just you have your British way of life and culture, does that people who their own of life and culture are weird. Not surprised, it's just a typical arrogant attitude shown by Brits.
    Because weird is something strange/out of the ordinary and this is strange/out of the ordinary? If someone has a different culture to me, it does mean they are weird. Does it mean I have the right culture or whatnot? Or their culture is inferior to mine? No! Let me let you in on a little secret, I find meditation weird but (takes a deep gasp) I actually like it. I can like something that is weird. Also, I am glad you realise that this isn't racism.

ReputationRep:
    Its not cultures its the people, how they behave to things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGardener)
    Different people have different standards of hygiene regardless of where they come from. I myself am half Iranian, my two British housemates are absolute retards when it comes to washing up and taking the rubbish out, how exactly does that correlate to 'culture'? If I went ahead and said that by this logic all British teenagers are lazy imbeciles I would be a racist, would I not?
    That's true. I was just wondering myself whether with my flatmates if their cultures meant they possibly had bigger families who did everything for them. Just making a comment really, not intending to be racist or make any bad remarks.

ReputationRep:
    Why should you find it weird. Just because you have your British way of life and culture, does that mean people who have their own way of life and culture are weird. Not surprised, it's just a typical arrogant attitude shown by Brits.
    You are correct! Its not cultures its the people, how they behave to things! Where does the culture or religion come in? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Don't be such an arse. Weird means 'different'. And yes it would be 'weird' to boil lettuce in a country where the lettuce is perfectly edible as it is. There's nothing whatsoever that's arrogant about it. Other people from other cultures may undoubtedly call some of the things we do 'weird', but we don't get hung up on it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.