Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, wondering if anyone could shed any light on this.

I started the third year of my degree course in September. The first instalment of my student loan was paid into my bank account. I logged into Student Finance tonight to see when the date of the next instalment was. In the 'Payments' section, the September maintenance loan shows as 'paid' and my tuition fee loan (which is paid to my university in two instalments, in February and May) shows as 'approved'. Fine. However, the second and third instalments of the maintenance loan (January and April respectively) are listed as 'blocked'.

What would be the reason for this? Is this cause for concern? What is the normal procedure for blocking payments AFTER the first instalment has already been paid? I am confused.

If anyone could help, that's great; if not, I will contact Student Finance by phone late tomorrow afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE: Called Student Finance today. A nice lady informed me that because I hadn't informed them of my new address, correspondence from them had been returned to sender and a block had been placed on my account. This is now lifted. She said Student Finance are having to do this more frequently.

So a cautionary tale - remember to inform them of any change in circumstance otherwise payment will be blocked. I was stupid not to do so but it genuinely escaped my mind to tell them of my new address.

ReputationRep:
    Yep this happened to me last year as well. I was very worried when I saw BLOCKED on my online account, but some correspondence had been returned to them and it was a security measure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.