Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reoccuring dreams of first love. Watch

But just to iterate, I'm not in love with him anymore. I'm in a stable, long-term relationship with someone else and am happy. To be honest, my 'love' for him was as much as any teenager could understand 'love' to be at 16. I know I now care about my boyfriend more than I've ever cared for him.

But is it normal to still have reoccuring dreams of past crushes/relationships etc? It's starting to really irritate me. I wake up to feeling of nostalgia, loss and actually missing him every few weeks, sometimes more often, and the dreams linger!!

The stupid thing is we were never even together, it had always been unrequited and I think that's partly why I'm having these stupid dreams. He was the first and only boy I've ever developed deep feelings for prior to my current relationship and I was utterly besotted with him for far too many years. In terms of intensity, passion and frankly, obsession, I've never felt that way even about my boyfriend now, and doubt I ever will again about anyone else. Since these dreams started popping up, I've started feeling regret and longing when I see pictures of him... almost like I've gone back in time!!

I know I don't love him anymore, and maybe it is quite normal to dream of exes etc and feel that pang of longing. But can someone just reassure me because this is driving me insane! I don't know why I'm dreaming of him so often now, years after I've gotten over him or even talked to him!!

P.S. Please keep anon, as I believe both he and my boyfriend knows my username. And let's face it, this is pretty pathetic...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.