Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unsolicited letter from company I've never given details to! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Came home today to a letter addressed to me in my correct full name and address from the energy company EDF energy.

The letter itself was advertising some general energy/electricity package.

The issue is I have never ever given any details or even remotely contacted EDF energy, I do not use their services personally (my parents may do) so therefore I am concerned/interested as to how they got my name and address

Is this an issue? Personally I'm not comfortable that a company (regardless what company it is) has some how procured my name and address and consequently is sending me random letters (this is the first time its happened).

Can I complain to the Information Commissioner or similar grievance channels or ask EDF directly how they got my details?

ReputationRep:
    Probably bought your personal details if you gave them to another company and allowed them to be shared with a third party. It's quite scary how much people can find you about you nowadays, even if they've never met you..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.