Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ottawa gang member deported to Somalia - Your opinion Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ottawa gang member deported to Somalia

OTTAWA — A 25-year-old street gang member, who came to Ottawa from Somalia at the age of nine, has been deported to that country in an operation praised by Public Safety Minister Vic Toews.

But the father of Omar Ahmed is furious at the treatment of his son.

Abdi Farah told the Ottawa Citizen that his son was dropped last week in the lawless Somali capital of Mogadishu despite assurances he says he was given from Canadian officials that he would be flown to Bosaso, a city in the more stable state of Puntland.

A spokesman for the Canada Border Services Agency would neither confirm nor deny the story Tuesday.

"I am unable to confirm specifically where he was returned to," said Chris Kealey, citing privacy concerns.

Ahmed had been held by federal immigration officials as a danger to Canadians since April 1. He agreed to be deported in order to end his indefinite detention.

According to his father, Ahmed waived his legal appeals based on the government's assurance he would be returned to Bosaso.

Ahmed has admitted to being a member of a notorious Ottawa street gang, the Ledbury Banff Crips. He was known on the street as "Ghost."

Ahmed has been convicted of a series of crimes, including possession of crack cocaine for the purpose of trafficking, assault, mischief and uttering threats.

According to an Ottawa police report, the LBC gang uses guns and other weapons to aggressively defend its turf for cocaine trafficking.

Farah said that when his son called him from the Mogadishu airport in a panic, he arranged for a cousin to find him. The two men then walked for three days — about 150 kilometres — before securing a ride to the city of Galkayo, in southern Puntland.

"I am so mad. They (Canadian officials) promised me he would be safe," said Farah, who fled the repressive Somali regime of president Siad Barre in 1986 and claimed refugee status in Canada.

He later brought his family, including his two young sons, to Ottawa from a refugee camp in Kenya.

Farah was not opposed to his son's deportation — he thought it might give him the chance to start over — but he said he is appalled at the government's handling of his return.

"They don't know what they're doing," he said. "Imagine: Mogadishu is the worst place on Earth — it's like Afghanistan. That boy has no experience."

Somalia's United Nations-backed government is now battling the Islamist group, al-Shabbab, for control of Mogadishu. The al-Qaida linked group already controls much of southern and central Somalia.

In a statement, Toews and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney congratulated the CBSA for its "successful removal" of Ahmed, who had been one of 11 Somalia-born criminals awaiting deportation from Canada.

"Removing dangerous offenders not only protects the safety of Canadians, but the integrity of the immigration system," Toews said. "We do not tolerate those who come to this country and commit serious crimes."

According to Farah, Canadian border agents flew with Ahmed to Nairobi, Kenya, where he was turned over to private security personnel for the flight to Somalia. Ahmed was told he would be taken to Mogadishu, then board an internal flight to Bosaso. In Mogadishu, however, he discovered there was no such flight.

"He was in a very critical condition," Farah said. "They just left him in the airport."

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Ott...260/story.html

So whats your say? I think its a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Mogadishu is the worst place on Earth — it's like Afghanistan. That boy has no experience.
    Awwww. :sad: That boy was a Crip member though. Mogadishu should be a perfect place for him.

And a good decision by Canada.

I think it's quite nice,

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Good choice.

ReputationRep:
      Deporting criminals for the purposes of public safety. What's wrong with that?

Don't want to be deported? Don't deal drugs and threaten members of the public with violence then.

ReputationRep:
      lol at Crips in Canada.

ReputationRep:
      Hell nah, receiving immigrants only for them to be brought up ghettoised, economically disadvantaged hotbeds for crime created by the apathy of white middle-class society and then dumping the result of this underclass we created back on the countries they originated from is a stupid damn plan. Canada should be addressing the causes of gang violence rather than trying to boot as many individuals as they can into different continents while turning a blind eye to the systemic causes of those crimes.

ReputationRep:
      not a bad idea. we are hospitable to all visitors and immigrants. so why throw it back in faces.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
      I think it's quite nice,

Mogadishu and the south of Somalia were nicest places in East Africa, loads of Europeans lived there, i.e. before the civil war. The city is destroyed now, but the guy will move to Bosaso (North) where its safe.

(Original post by JCC-MGS)
      Hell nah, receiving immigrants only for them to be brought up ghettoised, economically disadvantaged hotbeds for crime created by the apathy of white middle-class society and then dumping the result of this underclass we created back on the countries they originated from is a stupid damn plan. Canada should be addressing the causes of gang violence rather than trying to boot as many individuals as they can into different continents while turning a blind eye to the systemic causes of those crimes.
      stop your bs man, I'm Somali and I live the same lives as the Somali criminals here, so they cant use 'poverty' as an excuse, the reason why they're criminals is because their dumb ****s that need a good beating. I personally think sending them back to Somalia is 10x better than sending them to prisons.

(Original post by fire2burn)
        Deporting criminals for the purposes of public safety. What's wrong with that?

Don't want to be deported? Don't deal drugs and threaten members of the public with violence then.
        Don't want to be executed? Don't steal sweeties then.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
        Don't want to be executed? Don't steal sweeties then.
        Your point is?

ReputationRep:
        Good on them. Far better than what the UK is doing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-12007100

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by SomaliMan)
        So whats your say? I think its a good idea.
        Good job. What they should have been doing already. Why should this come across as a surprise? :rofl: @ the boy's father, acting like he cares after allowing his son to become a criminal.

ReputationRep:
        half agree to this and the opinion that it is good for canada.

The ghettoes themselves with severe unemployment, lack of money, and grouping people together who are all the same. Causes a lot of problems. Anyone who wants a good life for themself may consider crime to fulfill their needs. I agree that middle/upper class are very apathetic to how their governments treat the working class.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
        Good job. What they should have been doing already. Why should this come across as a surprise? :rofl: @ the boy's father, acting like he cares after allowing his son to become a criminal.
        I don't agree with what you said about the father though, he didn't allow anything, the guy is 25 years old, he makes his own decisions.

ReputationRep:
        Yea, I recently saw a report on bbc saying that there's continuous fighting going on there not a very safe place to be..

btw i'm from ottawa !

ReputationRep:
        "According to his father, Ahmed waived his legal appeals based on the government's assurance he would be returned to Bosaso."

If that's true i'm against it. The government shouldn't be able to circumvent the law.

ReputationRep:
        lol so patronising it hurts

yeah, the rich white man did it to the poor black man, because poor black people cant make their own adult decisions, so we should throw money at them until they have morals like us rich white people. look at me im left wing

i bet he was much more economically disadvantaged in ottawa with its free healthcare and education than he was in somalia right. damn the man

ReputationRep:
        No. Foreigners who turn to gang violence should be deported. All the while, society can be improved so that there are fewer scum to expel from civilised countries in the first place. They need discipline and morals before, not after they become criminals. People such as this have a poverty of character, it has become very clear. Economic "disadvantage" is a rubbish excuse in a welfare state such as Canada.

ReputationRep:
        He had been given the chance to enjoy the benefits of modern Western society and chose to throw it back in the face of the people who had given him that chance, send him back. Immigrants who commit crime when they are extended the hospitality of a foreign country should be deported straight back with a one-strike-you're-out policy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.