Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of this tattoo? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So my boyfriend agreed that for christmas he would buy me a tattoo, which gives me until sunday to make a final decision on what I want. My original idea was of a blackbird, but my mum COMPLETELY threw me off that idea and so now im a little lost. I know a tattoo is a personal choice, but just for fun, id like to know what you think- because at the end of the day, other people are going to be seeing it.

My ideas were:
    well, the blackbird. A little blackbird in flight on the back of my neck

The words 'cellar door'. From my favourite film Donnie Darko, if anyone has seen it. On its own the phrase is standard, random and ugly- but read aloud its supposed to be the most beautiful combination of words in the english language. On the back of my neck

A tribal sun, on the back of my neck. I like suns lol

The words 'moi je joue', which is french for 'me I play'. A Brigitte Bardot song I love. Back of shoulders.

A mermaid, on my lower back (not right in the centre like a tramp stamp), to the side slightly so on my hip

A sprig of heather on my ankle, to represent scotland where i grew up, and my mum (who's called Heather).

What do you guys think? Would be great to get some opinions
    Dont really want any 'why ask us? you should do what YOU want', because as i said, this is just for fun.

ReputationRep:
    All of these tattoos sound like you're just getting a tattoo for the sake of it, which means you'll probably end up regretting it. Wait until you're completely convinced that you want a certain tattoo and don't have to post on an internet forum asking for advice. Tattoos aren't just for Christmas, na mean?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Can I ask how your mum put you off the blackbird?

If it was me I would get the tribal sun, but I'm not you and it's not gonna be my skin that has ink in it forever! So your decision!

ReputationRep:
    get a real tattoo.

When i pass out as a Young officer, im going to get the commando dagger on my shoulder. But then again im awesome so

ReputationRep:
    Get your boyfriend to write you an iou while you make up your mind?

If you get a tattoo for the sake of it, and without much thought, well... It's not a good idea. And you'll probably really regret it.

ReputationRep:
    I love the cellar door idea! I love that film though.
    Also the french is pretty cool!. I actually happen to be listening to Brigitte right now. 'Un Jour Comme un Autre'.
    I think the heather is possibly the best though, because it has a real sentimental meaning and it'll probably be the one you are least likely to get bored of; seeing as it's kind of dedicated to your mum.
    So I'd say go with the heather

ReputationRep:
    The heather is the least tacky/has least chance of regret attached to it, but yeah, as others have said you should probably wait until you know exactly what you want before getting one. Also imo the back of the neck isn't a nice place for a tattoo - I think the ankle is best out of your options regardless of tattoo design.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klipsan)
    So my boyfriend agreed that for christmas he would buy me a tattoo, which gives me until sunday to make a final decision on what I want. My original idea was of a blackbird, but my mum COMPLETELY threw me off that idea and so now im a little lost. I know a tattoo is a personal choice, but just for fun, id like to know what you think- because at the end of the day, other people are going to be seeing it.

My ideas were:
    well, the blackbird. A little blackbird in flight on the back of my neck

The words 'cellar door'. From my favourite film Donnie Darko, if anyone has seen it. On its own the phrase is standard, random and ugly- but read aloud its supposed to be the most beautiful combination of words in the english language. On the back of my neck

A tribal sun, on the back of my neck. I like suns lol

The words 'moi je joue', which is french for 'me I play'. A Brigitte Bardot song I love. Back of shoulders.

A mermaid, on my lower back (not right in the centre like a tramp stamp), to the side slightly so on my hip

A sprig of heather on my ankle, to represent scotland where i grew up, and my mum (who's called Heather).

What do you guys think? Would be great to get some opinions
    Dont really want any 'why ask us? you should do what YOU want', because as i said, this is just for fun.
    If you're going to get a tattoo then get the heather, that has some sort of meaning to you and would probably be the most flattering of them all.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worrry they're all equally crap.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a tattoo in a visible place like the back of your neck. Cheryl Cole did it and it's ridiculous because she is divorced! Get something small and inconspicuous as your first one. Get something that's related to your and your life. Not just something that looks cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Don't worrry they're all equally crap.
    Touching. I imagine your idea of a good tattoo is one of those original tribal bands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    get a real tattoo.

When i pass out as a Young officer, im going to get the commando dagger on my shoulder. But then again im awesome so
    Agreed. When I started getting tattoos, I swore no hearts, birds, flowers or cute animals.

ReputationRep:
    The Heather Idea sounds best to me. It has a deep personal meaning behind it to you, and I'd imagine would also be very pleasant to look at.

Talking about tattoo's, this made me LOL:

"A woman goes into a tattoo parlour and tells the tattoo artist that she wants a tattoo of a turkey on her right thigh just below her bikini line. She also wants him to put "Happy Thanksgiving" under the turkey.

So the guy does it and it comes out looking really good. The woman then instructs him to put a Santa tattoo with "Merry Christmas" up on her left thigh.

So the guy does it and it comes out looking good, too. As the woman is getting dressed to leave, the tattoo artist asks, "If you don't mind, could you tell me why you had me put such unusual tattoos on your thighs?"

She says "I'm sick and tired of my husband complaining all the time that there's nothing good to eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas!"
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klipsan)
    Touching. I imagine your idea of a good tattoo is one of those original tribal bands.
    I'm sorry but I don't get how that's supposed to offend me? Is it a sligh racist insult or something? Either way it's ****.

The truth is, you'll get one of those tattoos, show it to your friends who will tell you it's cool, but behind your back talk about how stupid and rubbish it is.

I know cause I've seen it and done it many times.

No sense in getting something you'll regret in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryA)
    Don't get a tattoo in a visible place like the back of your neck. Cheryl Cole did it and it's ridiculous because she is divorced! Get something small and inconspicuous as your first one. Get something that's related to your and your life. Not just something that looks cool.
    Agreed - unless it's really pretty. Some tattoos are like works of art and don't need to mean anything because they're stunning.

And yeah, LOL at Cheryl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtfCharlie)
    Agreed. When I started getting tattoos, I swore no hearts, birds, flowers or cute animals.
    Exactly. Nothing says dont mess with me better than the commando dagger.

Failing that i was going to get the completel logo with the royal marines horseshoe bit about it on my right side, top of my arm where the badge goes on the uniform.

But like i said. Im awesome...so

ReputationRep:
    Get a tattoo of a *** splatter up your back from bottom to top!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    I'm sorry but I don't get how that's supposed to offend me? Is it a sligh racist insult or something? Either way it's ****.

The truth is, you'll get one of those tattoos, show it to your friends who will tell you it's cool, but behind your back talk about how stupid and rubbish it is.

I know cause I've seen it and done it many times.

No sense in getting something you'll regret in the future.
    Racist insult LOL! Everything is a racist insult to people these days..
    No, i meant, why stick to something as easy and simple and 'safe' as a tribal armband or butterfly or star that people will honestly say looks good- when you could be yourself and choose a design that means something to YOU, despite what others think ('talk about how stupid it is').

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    Exactly. Nothing says dont mess with me better than the commando dagger.

Failing that i was going to get the completel logo with the royal marines horseshoe bit about it on my right side, top of my arm where the badge goes on the uniform.

But like i said. Im awesome...so
    You're in good company, I'm also awesome.

And marines HAVE to have tattoos. It makes the world right

ReputationRep:
    You don't truely seem ready for a tattoo to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.