Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, I'm confused which between these two I should use as my safety net.

Kingston
    -lower university
    -accredited

Brunel
    -higher university
    -not accredited

Help?

ReputationRep:
    which ever one you like, look at the course, the uni, spending 3 years at a place and hating it won't be fun, you won't want to re-apply and get high with bigger fees :p:

do you have a career in mind, is it the NHS route?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    which ever one you like, look at the course, the uni, spending 3 years at a place and hating it won't be fun, you won't want to re-apply and get high with bigger fees :p:

do you have a career in mind, is it the NHS route?
    Yes, the NHS route.

I was planning to do medicine at first, but spending over 5 years over a course would be a lot specially if I depend the fees on my parents.

If I am to do a different course first, ie Biomedical Science. I would be able to work before actually applying for Medicine. That way I am paying medical school all by myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niveken13)
    Yes, the NHS route.

I was planning to do medicine at first, but spending over 5 years over a course would be a lot specially if I depend the fees on my parents.

If I am to do a different course first, ie Biomedical Science. I would be able to work before actually applying for Medicine. That way I am paying medical school all by myself.
    sure if you want to go out and work, you don't have to go into right away, time is a factor with med, med schools don't use age discrimination, but some route take longer than others to learn, but that if you are going to try at the age of 40 :p:

accredited be easier to get into the NHS with, as a biomed, stuff like placements years and all that

ReputationRep:
    Brunel is ranked pretty well (34) for biomedical Science whereas Kingston is at the very buttom. I will be studying biomed @ brunel as well. I heard they got good lab facilities and stuff. Well I don't know much about all this accredited universities but Brunel is a very good university so choose wisely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JpCheneta)
    Brunel is ranked pretty well (34) for biomedical Science whereas Kingston is at the very buttom. I will be studying biomed @ brunel as well. I heard they got good lab facilities and stuff. Well I don't know much about all this accredited universities but Brunel is a very good university so choose wisely
    IBMS accredited degree, allow you to work within the NHS as a biomed, pretty important to have it, you can do top up courses to get the accreditation, it makes life easier

normally these uni run placement years that are getting more and more important now cos getting job now is so hard

have a look around the IBMS website

ReputationRep:
    Hi to everyone here!!
    i want some honest advice from all you wonderful people

Im on an access course expected high grades (Level 3 Units)
    and i have applied for biomedical science in the following univerSitys on the 16/12/10
    was i late? my ucas has been
    processed and i have recieve tWo acknowledgment letters from hert (30.12.10) and roehamton(4.1.11) UNIS..
    the five unis i applied for are...

1) hertfordshire
    2) London Met
    3) Kingston
    4) Middlesex
    6) Roehampton

(all registered with IBMS) for more benifits of employment post grad
    thou i chosen biomedical science for an entry into medicine in the first place
    it is just a nice feeeling having IBMS as my insaurance should i need to UTILIZE my bachelor degree
    i dont know where i will be in 3 years..will i be able to apply for med? atleaset i am guaranted a job after 3yrs...(its my backup)

i have not recieved any offers yet..still waiting for my ucas confirmation letter too
    I just find out all my chosen unis are all ex-polys...hmm

BUT WHICH UNIVERSITY IS BETTER according to YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE?
    I HAVE LOOKED AT THE LEAGUE TABLE FOR THE BIOSCIENCES COURSES
    AND MIDDLESEX SEEMS TO BE ABOVE/BETTER THAN MY OTHER CHOSEN UNI'S
    PLUS WITH ALL THE COMPETITION GOING ON
    I THOUGHT I'D RATHER GET 5 OR 4 accepetance than 5 OR 4 rejections
    HENCE I CHOSE NOT to apply for THE BEST UNIS IN (london only)...
    (I DONT WANT TO take the RISK OF HIGH UNI FEES COMING UP)
    IN TERMS OF RESPECT WHICH UNI IS GOOD?
    THE TRUTH IS I DONT WANT TO APPLY TO A UNI IN WHICH PEOPLE
    LOOK DOWN ON...
    I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TELL PEOPLE OF MY CHOSEN UNI AND NOT FEEL SHY ABOUT IT ...IF YOU UNDERSTAND MY POINT...

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
    MUCH LOVE...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niveken13)
    Apparently, I'm confused which between these two I should use as my safety net.

Kingston
    -lower university
    -accredited

Brunel
    -higher university
    -not accredited

Help?
    I would say pick Brunel, it is a very good University and you could do top up courses in order to have it accredited.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone care to comment on my question??????????????????

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.