Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where can I get a good PC/ Laptop? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of getting a new desktop/ laptop and was just wondering where would be a good place to search for a decent desktop/ laptop that will last a good few years and is valued for money? I have heard that Dixons/ Currys/ PC World are horrific in terms of customer service as well as the overpriced products.

Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Dont get one just before xmas, you'll get ripped off.

And the highstreet chains dont tend to give you value for money.

Try places like ebuyer or scan, or failing that, something like dell outlet?

ReputationRep:
    try DinoPC, they've just made some big cuts to pc's, for the christmas period, get in before vat goes up too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jampolo)
    try DinoPC, they've just made some big cuts to pc's, for the christmas period, get in before vat goes up too.
    Thanks a lot, this is actually pretty brilliant! I was also going to ask this question before I found this thread. However won't PC's be even cheaper after Christmas, even on this site?

http://shop.lenovo.com/gbweb/gb/en/notebooks/thinkpad/

ReputationRep:
      Get a Toshiba, they are the best at the moment.

the TX1200 is the best laptop.

ReputationRep:
      Apple store

ReputationRep:
      If you're getting a desktop, wait until intel's chip refresh in january then build one yourself.

If you're getting a desktop, I personally recommend HID evolution in the US. Because taxes are so high in the UK, these sorts of things are much cheaper in the US, and HID evolution are quite good about stating lower customs values on laptops

Case in point - my laptop is the one above this one in the range (so probably ~£2000 in the UK):
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Noteboo...1924010&sr=8-7

Cost me £1,100 from HID, free shipping, plus £50 in VAT.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks for the different advices.....It seems DinoPC is pretty decent

Although buying from the US is cheaper, I am not sure about the fact that if it breaks down there will be no warranty cover....

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sCottYAm8)
      Although buying from the US is cheaper, I am not sure about the fact that if it breaks down there will be no warranty cover....
      Not true, at least for my asus.
      3 years global warranty plus two years global accidental damage cover.
      You have to post it to an asus centre in your country which is a bit of a pain, but no worse than trying to deal with most PC makers.

Frankly that's one of the main reasons I prefer to build. When you speak to a hardware manufacturer, they generally don't assume that you're a drooling, knuckle-dragging moron, so you don't get the half hour of "is it turned on at the wall?" and so forth.

ReputationRep:
      In a shop.

ReputationRep:
      The Apple Store :sexface:

ReputationRep:
      Third for the Apple store.

Would say that the Apple store employees provide some of the best customer service i've encountered (any im very particular). From my experience all have excellent product knowledge, didnt try to push any unnecessary products on me, even got them to wheel my imac across the city centre to my car.

Also apple>pc

ReputationRep:
      Dont go to Pc world or Currys/Dixons, if your laptop goes wrong then their service is rubbish.

Try John Lewis (extra warranty on most computers) or Apple - the best service and computers you can buy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by shadow99)
      Dont go to Pc world or Currys/Dixons, if your laptop goes wrong then their service is rubbish.

Try John Lewis (extra warranty on most computers) or Apple - the best service and computers you can buy.
      PC World/Currys/Dixons/John Lewis = **** and rip off

Apple Store = good, especially with educational discount

Your best bet OP is to wait until the January sales and then have a look around in stores and on the net. Also, try to get things thrown into a deal wherever you go, it always works.

You might want to try these

http://www.cube247.co.uk/search.asp?...ages&x=104&y=4

You can get this for just £1,189.00 Inc Delivery & VAT.

I've used them before and they are a very good company, plus their service is excellent.

http://www.cube247.co.uk/products.as...o=Hercules+GT4

• Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
      • AMD Phenom 1090T Six Core Processor
      • 16GB Premium Branded DDR3 Memory
      • Premium Branded 2000GB SATAII Ultra Fast Hard Disk
      • ATI Radeon HD 5450 1024MB Performance Graphics
      • Blu Ray Rom Drive
      • Ultra Fast Samsung DVDRW
      • Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Motherboard
      • Exclusive Tower Case
      • Quality True Power PSU
      • Multi Format Memory Card Reader
      • 7.1 High Definition Surround Sound
      • 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
      • 15x USB 2.0 Ports
      • Firewire
      • 3x 22" Full HD Widescreen TFT
      • Logitech Deluxe Cordless Desktop
      • 3 Year Classic Bronze Warranty
      • Microsoft Office 60 Day Trial
      • Microsoft Windows Live Essentials

You can also add a bluray writer and wireless adapter down the bottom for not much extra.

Then you have this

http://www.cube247.co.uk/products.as...o=Scorpius+GT4

for £1000.

Reviews of Cube247

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.cube247.co.uk

Most of them 5 star - 1 is 1 star but thats more than likely a one off or someone who just likes moaning.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by shadow99)
      Apple - the best service and computers you can buy.
      Cost of buying my top-end asus laptop - £1150
      Cost of buying a top-end mac book pro which is STILL slower - £2900

Cost of buying my desktop in october 2009 - £1000
      Cost of buying an equivalent mac pro (sans blu-ray, can't see any option for that on their website, and without my solid state drive, which my pc didn't have in 2009), 14 months later - £3150

Yeah, that's totally not a completely mental idea.

(Original post by jb9191)
      You can get this for just £1,189.00 Inc Delivery & VAT.

I've used them before and they are a very good company, plus their service is excellent.

http://www.cube247.co.uk/products.as...o=Hercules+GT4

• Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
      • AMD Phenom 1090T Six Core Processor
      • 16GB Premium Branded DDR3 Memory
      • Premium Branded 2000GB SATAII Ultra Fast Hard Disk
      • ATI Radeon HD 5450 1024MB Performance Graphics
      • Blu Ray Rom Drive
      • Ultra Fast Samsung DVDRW
      • Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Motherboard
      • Exclusive Tower Case
      • Quality True Power PSU
      • Multi Format Memory Card Reader
      • 7.1 High Definition Surround Sound
      • 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
      • 15x USB 2.0 Ports
      • Firewire
      • 3x 22" Full HD Widescreen TFT
      • Logitech Deluxe Cordless Desktop
      • 3 Year Classic Bronze Warranty
      • Microsoft Office 60 Day Trial
      • Microsoft Windows Live Essentials

You can also add a bluray writer and wireless adapter down the bottom for not much extra.
      Gah, the quality of their parts is just mind-blowingly awful.
      Putting a top-of-the-range AMD black edition processor on that board, with a true power PSU?
      **** me.
      That's absolutely mad.

ReputationRep:
      Never go to apple, its so overpriced as the above poster states. Their employees will tell you any old crap to get you to buy one of their machines, but most of their products have much better counterparts, for a fraction of the price.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jampolo)
      Never go to apple, What if you want and prefer OS X? Plus a Mac is far more suited to graphic and website designers its so overpriced as the above poster states. Their employees will tell you any old crap to get you to buy one of their machines, but most of their products have much better counterparts, for a fraction of the price.
      I'm just buying the low end macbook pro and upgrading the RAM and SSD with parts from Crucial. I'll never buy extra parts from Apple, the prices are disgusting.

ReputationRep:
      Apple Store! Take your student card - will get you discount ;-)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TShadow383)
      Cost of buying my top-end asus laptop - £1150
      Cost of buying a top-end mac book pro which is STILL slower - £2900

Cost of buying my desktop in october 2009 - £1000
      Cost of buying an equivalent mac pro (sans blu-ray, can't see any option for that on their website, and without my solid state drive, which my pc didn't have in 2009), 14 months later - £3150

Yeah, that's totally not a completely mental idea.

Gah, the quality of their parts is just mind-blowingly awful.
      Putting a top-of-the-range AMD black edition processor on that board, with a true power PSU?
      **** me.
      That's absolutely mad.
      There PC's have very good reviews and are long lasting so can't be all that bad. Plus they are much better than you'd get from a local store such as Currys and PC World.

If it was me I'd build a PC, but didn't think the OP wanted to do that.

Nothing beat building a PC yourself for saving money and getting better parts.

The only pre built systems worth buying are those made by Apple, basically due to OS X and a bunch of top programmes it has available to it for designers (web, graphics) etc...

Like the Adobe CS5 Master Collection has far more in its MAC Version than the PC version - yes the PC version is fine for most but for hardcore designers it lacks what the MAC version does. That's also the reason the MAC version costs more.

Plus OS X + Windows on a Mac is better than just Windows on a PC

If OS X was able to run without bugs on any PC then I'd build a PC and install OS X. It is possible but the complications are not worth the hassle to be honest. I've tried it with the recommended parts and its still nowhere near as smooth in terms of running as a normal Mac

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.