Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    People around me have made it clear that I should be a lawyer or a doctor and I have the potential to do so. However, I don't really want to be a lawyer or a doctor or anything like that. I want to be an artist. But I might not earn a decent income. Also, people won't understand. Advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNamelessOne)
    People around me have made it clear that I should be a lawyer or a doctor and I have the potential to do so. However, I don't really want to be a lawyer or a doctor or anything like that. I want to be an artist. But I might not earn a decent income. Also, people won't understand. Advice?
    Your Asian dad?

ReputationRep:
    If you're able to go and study Medicine do it. EVen if you don't want to be a Doctor it will give you a good career to return too.

If art is what inspires you then follow it. Who knows what life has in store for people?

Always have a backup plan.

ReputationRep:
    Be a lawyer or Doctor and sketch your daily experiences !

Or don't.

ReputationRep:
    Why spend money on a degree you really dont want to do?

Pursue art. If you are awesome, and determined you'll make it. Don't listen to people who want you to do something you don't want to.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are a bit zany and different as an artist, like preserving sheep different, then I would suggest going for medicine or law because it will give you that back-up option should you ever need it.

ReputationRep:
    I think you may need a more realistic plan than artist, but if lawyer and doctor aren't for you then don't feel pressured to do them.

ReputationRep:
    Then don't.

I would suggest doing something like graphic arts/graphic design rather then art though, because it would be easier to get a job in that field.

ReputationRep:
    It's your life, do what you want.

Of course be sensible and do consider your employment prospects, but there are jobs in the world other than Lawyer or Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Doctor/Lawyer to Artist is quite a leap in job prospects and lifestyle. Is there nothing else youd consider if you are worried about a career in Art? There must be a half way point

ReputationRep:

You don't have to be a doctor or a lawyer, so why should you waste money on a course you don't like. What's the point when someone more deserving wants to do that course and they are turned down?

You could look into other subjects which require art and are creative courses. For example, you could do Architecture (and if you are so clever and have fantastic grades you could look into doing this at Cambridge), or Graphic Design, or Fine Art (again if you are so clever and have fantastic grades you could look into doing this at Oxford). You could be an Art Therapist (I think for this you would need to study art and then psychology but I don't know), or do design as a career.

But also think to yourself - is this a hobby that I could do in my spare time or do I genuinely want to do this? I had a friend who initially wanted to be a grapic designer. She absolutely loves art and she went on to do an art foundation course, but she dropped out halfway through because she realised she wanted to do art as a hobby (and she didn't like where she was studying). She dropped out an now she is studying a degree in Chinese and Translation Studies because she loves languages. Do what you want to do and do what feels right for you. If people really want doctors and lawyers, then they should go and become one themselves, not impose it on you because that is unfair. I want to do a degreee in Politics because I absolutely love politics, but I wouldn't expect everyone else to do it because that is selfish. And you say people won't understand? To be honest you don't need to explain yourself just do what feels right for you, it is no-one else's buisness.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.