Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I work as a driver for dominos, I get the brutal minimum wage of £4.93, BUT... my store was bought by a new franchisee and something behind the scenes has been going on with the pay slips and transferring stuff over, I dunno, but basically I have been receiving £4.40 p/h for the past few months, presumably for my tax and will receive the difference when it all gets sorted out.

First question. Will I receive all the money I have been deducted by dominos back, assuming it doesn't go to the tax man (which as far as I'm aware it won't as I don't earn enough)? What tax/other deductions am I supposed to have been/be paying? I work around 16 hours per week and before the take over I paid nothing, just received my full wage of £4.83 (then, woo pay rise)

Second question. I have taken no paid holidays since I started working there in March. How much am I legally entitled to and can I demand it all at any point? It would be nice to get it before Christmas if this is possible.

Third question. I have been given my Christmas rota and its not pretty. I get 23rd off, Christmas day off because the shop is closed, and the 28th off, and thats it. Spending the best time of year delivering pizzas, great. The days I am particularly concerned about working are Boxing day (4pm start ((((), New years eve (6.30pm start) and new years day (4pm start, I'll still be drunk). I don't mind working any of these days and understand the shop needs to open, but am I entitled to more money? I only work 3 or 4 hour shifts and don't really want to mess up my entire christmas up for the sake of >£5 per hour. Can I demand more, and if not, can I refuse to work those days? 3 days off in 2 weeks over Christmas sucks big time, is it out of line to ask for more pay?

Fourth question. I started a thread the other week about not working when its snowing. Obviously I don't want to risk my NCB, which is now only 5 weeks away. Can I continue to tell them I can't work. I cancelled 4 of my shifts and they were reasonably understanding and let it go, but snow is due this week again and I'm in pretty much every night. Can I keep doing this or does it go down as unauthorized absence or something and go against me? I was the only driver doing this btw. Most of the other drivers aren't 18 with a £500 excess like me and came to work and took their chances in the name of speedy pizza deliveries.

I feel like a bit of a pussy posting this on a forum but its hard to get time with my manager, the shops always busy and there isn't really a private space for sorting this kind of thing out. My superiors are all lovely people but I don't really know how to confront them? I have really confrontational queries that involve giving me money, and don't want to lose the positive relationship I have with them, but more importantly I don't be made a mug of or lose my job, so how should I deal with any of the above?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikeooa)
    I work as a driver for dominos, I get the brutal minimum wage of £4.93, BUT... my store was bought by a new franchisee and something behind the scenes has been going on with the pay slips and transferring stuff over, I dunno, but basically I have been receiving £4.40 p/h for the past few months, presumably for my tax and will receive the difference when it all gets sorted out.

First question. Will I receive all the money I have been deducted by dominos back, assuming it doesn't go to the tax man (which as far as I'm aware it won't as I don't earn enough)? What tax/other deductions am I supposed to have been/be paying? I work around 16 hours per week and before the take over I paid nothing, just received my full wage of £4.83 (then, woo pay rise)

Second question. I have taken no paid holidays since I started working there in March. How much am I legally entitled to and can I demand it all at any point? It would be nice to get it before Christmas if this is possible.

Third question. I have been given my Christmas rota and its not pretty. I get 23rd off, Christmas day off because the shop is closed, and the 28th off, and thats it. Spending the best time of year delivering pizzas, great. The days I am particularly concerned about working are Boxing day (4pm start ((((), New years eve (6.30pm start) and new years day (4pm start, I'll still be drunk). I don't mind working any of these days and understand the shop needs to open, but am I entitled to more money? I only work 3 or 4 hour shifts and don't really want to mess up my entire christmas up for the sake of >£5 per hour. Can I demand more, and if not, can I refuse to work those days? 3 days off in 2 weeks over Christmas sucks big time, is it out of line to ask for more pay?

Fourth question. I started a thread the other week about not working when its snowing. Obviously I don't want to risk my NCB, which is now only 5 weeks away. Can I continue to tell them I can't work. I cancelled 4 of my shifts and they were reasonably understanding and let it go, but snow is due this week again and I'm in pretty much every night. Can I keep doing this or does it go down as unauthorized absence or something and go against me? I was the only driver doing this btw. Most of the other drivers aren't 18 with a £500 excess like me and came to work and took their chances in the name of speedy pizza deliveries.

I feel like a bit of a pussy posting this on a forum but its hard to get time with my manager, the shops always busy and there isn't really a private space for sorting this kind of thing out. My superiors are all lovely people but I don't really know how to confront them? I have really confrontational queries that involve giving me money, and don't want to lose the positive relationship I have with them, but more importantly I don't be made a mug of or lose my job, so how should I deal with any of the above?
    With being paid £4.40 an hour- id speak to them about that. Its illegal to pay you below the minimum wage and you should get back pay. They may not even know that your hourly wage has been messed up so its best to tell them. If they refuse or give you grief about paying you the propper wage and give you back pay then speak to the CAB about it.
    Im not sure how many holidays you should get. Ask your manager/supervisor how much you should get or check your contract.
    If you have already been put down to work these shifts then you have to do them im afraid. Unless you can get someone who isnt working to do a couple of your shifts for you. You may be paid more (e.g. time and a half/double time) on certain days but im not sure. Check your contract or ask your supervisor about it to find out.
    With the snow id still go in if i were you. You have already cancelled 4 shifts and no one else has cancelled any shifts. They may have been understanding before but they might not be if you carry on canceling shifts when others have made it to work. As long as you are careful and take it steady you should be ok.
    Regarding speaking to your manager/supervisor. Maybe go in at a time when you arent working if the shop is always busy and speak to them about it. If they are nice people and you get on with them then they should hopefully be ok about it. They are important issues so you have a right to see them about it.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikeooa)

Are you actually insured to deliver pizza's? You'd need to have at least 'for business, social and pleasure' nio just 'social and pleasure' on your insurance, and as an under 18/new driver I presume that would be very expensive with premiums more than you are earning. Might be worth a check, all this worrying about your NCB and you might not be insured at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Are you actually insured to deliver pizza's? You'd need to have at least 'for business, social and pleasure' nio just 'social and pleasure' on your insurance, and as an under 18/new driver I presume that would be very expensive with premiums more than you are earning. Might be worth a check, all this worrying about your NCB and you might not be insured at all.
    Of course I'm covered. I informed my insurance and it was an extra £150 or thereabouts. My premium is £1600 for Business, commuting, social, domestic and pleasure, I only drive a 5 year old 1.2 micra. I'm also covered TPFT via dominos. I'm more worried about the fact that if I have a crash on a shift earning minimum wage and claim on my own insurance my excess is £500 which is a months wages = not worth the risk. The issue is how I present this concern to my employer whilst acknowledging they have a business to run, a business that only gets busier in bad weather. They were cool about it when I called in last week but that can't apply every time it snows. I live at the bottom of a tight, steep, curved hill with only one way in and out at the top, and the problem with working is mainly to do with getting out of where I live and my boss knows and understood that. When it snows the street is tight as everyone parks on the road as opposed to their driveways which makes it even harder for me to get out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.