Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lost car keys with no spares - best option? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sup guys so I lost my car keys and don't know where the spares are - I know ridiculously stupid, anyways

Whats the cheapest/quickest way I can get a key cut?

It's a 1999 civic so its literally just a key - no electronics.

ReputationRep:
    Best thing is to call a Honda dealership, they're unlikely to come out to you though, but if you can get the car to them, ie by towing it there..then they will make you a new key as long as you have proof of ownership, it's likely it will be quite costly though.

ReputationRep:
    quick reply at 2ish am!

I've called AA and they're quoting around the £150 - £200 mark for a mobile locksmith to come - I def don't want to pay more than £50, anyone had this problem before? Would it be easy to hack into it and install new lock/keys?

ReputationRep:
    Cheapest way would be to keep looking.

ReputationRep:
    Dealerships take the piss when it comes to things like this.. Vauxhall had quoted me £175ish for a new key when i thought i had lost my key, only to get a phone call half an hour later saying my brother had taken my keys with him by mistake!

ReputationRep:
    New car

ReputationRep:
    Apparently my cars got an immobiliser and since I've lost both keys that are coded I'm going to get a new one installed - for £200

Is this bull?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Apparently my cars got an immobiliser and since I've lost both keys that are coded I'm going to get a new one installed - for £200

Is this bull?
    Thats probably true, alot of keys are coded, and hence if you lose both keys and the code which came with the car, its going to be a pretty expensive job..I suggest keep looking for the keys!

It's expensive. That's why they give you spares...

ReputationRep:
      Best option is to find the other key tbh.

Surely if you just trace your steps since last time you drove the caqr you'll find them. It's worth taking time over it to save £100+ on a new key...

ReputationRep:
      Suicide

ReputationRep:
      If its just the key you could try going down you local scarp yard they might have a few keys from your car model, the only reason i say this is cause my dad lost his keys to a 1993 pug 106 and he went to the scarp yard and he got a pair that worked for his car for £10, but now its two keys, 1 for opening the door and the other for the ignition.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.