Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am an idiot: Unprotected Sex Watch

Urgh, I feel so scared right now.

I was on holiday and drunk and for the first time ever I had unprotected sex with a girl who was South African and I later found at has had numerous partners over the years and unprotected sex numerous times.

She hasn't been tested and now I am so worried about HIV but I cannot be tested apparently for 3 months. I literally feel sick on the possibility of this and learnt my lesson but hope it was done sooner rather than later.

I reallly am paranoid now and just depressed, not sure what I want out of this thread as all you guys can give me is false hope or a, you should never do safe sex, but as I don't want to tell any friends it was the only place I could talk..

Feel such an idiot, as I was, argh...

ReputationRep:
    :doctor:

Also, why can't you be tested for 3 months? :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    You are an idiot.

I believe there are drugs you can take as part of a post-exposure prophylaxis, shortly after a possible HIV infection - they essentially stop any infection taking hold. Go and see a doctor, quickly; it's one of those things that is far more likely to work the sooner you take them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-exposure_prophylaxis

ReputationRep:
    Doubt you will have contracted HIV mate, at worst maybe herpes. It's of course very silly of you to have had unprotected sex but i'm sure you'll be fine.

(Original post by Anonymous)
      Urgh, I feel so scared right now.

I was on holiday and drunk and for the first time ever I had unprotected sex with a girl who was South African and I later found at has had numerous partners over the years and unprotected sex numerous times.

She hasn't been tested and now I am so worried about HIV but I cannot be tested apparently for 3 months. I literally feel sick on the possibility of this and learnt my lesson but hope it was done sooner rather than later.

I reallly am paranoid now and just depressed, not sure what I want out of this thread as all you guys can give me is false hope or a, you should never do safe sex, but as I don't want to tell any friends it was the only place I could talk..

Feel such an idiot, as I was, argh...
      You cannot have a definitive HIV test until 3 months yes.

But you can be tested and should be tested for other sexually transmitted diseases. And treated.

Get to your local GUM clinic as soon as possible and get tested.

(Original post by TheSownRose)
        You are an idiot.

I believe there are drugs you can take shortly after a possible HIV infection that can 'convert' you - essentially stop any infection taking hold. Go and see a doctor, quickly.
        Those only work within the few hours after sex.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by lella_m)
        :doctor:

Also, why can't you be tested for 3 months? :eyebrow:
        The antibodies that your body develops in response to HIV infection take a while to show up. Tests are based on these.

You are an idiot.

I believe there are drugs you can take shortly after a possible HIV infection that can 'convert' you - essentially stop any infection taking hold. Go and see a doctor, quickly.
        Yes there are. Get to a hospital ASAP. If you just had contact, immediate drugs can actually stop it. I think its generally accepted to be up to 48 hours afterwards

ReputationRep:
        i can tell u hiv is man made blame the governments

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Jamie)
        Those only work within the few hours after sex.
        (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
        Yes there are. Get to a hospital ASAP. If you just had contact, immediate drugs can actually stop it. I think its generally accepted to be up to 48 hours afterwards
        Yeah, it is quick - best if you do it within an hour, it's what they do for medical people that get pricked by needles. Up to 72 hours I think is accepted, but the quicker the better.

ReputationRep:
        You don't know that she had HIV, and if she did you would be very unlucky to contract from a single exposure. I think you are worrying before you have to here. Yes it's a possibility but it's a definite worst case scenario. Go to the sexual health clinic, they can test you for other (more likely, though also more treatable) STD's and run tests and give you advice about HIV. Go tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
        Yeah, it is quick - best if you do it within an hour, it's what they do for medical people that get pricked by needles. Up to 72 hours I think is accepted, but the quicker the better.
        I think they're pretty horrible drugs though, would they be given in this case? (genuinely curious)

ReputationRep:
        Jeez man, you will be ok.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by lekky)
        I think they're pretty horrible drugs though, would they be given in this case? (genuinely curious)
        They can cause some unpleasant side-effects, but it's better than developing HIV and potentially AIDS later on.

I'm not a doctor and don't know where OP is now. If he's in the UK or a place with a decent hospital (so the drugs are actually available) and the possible exposure is within the last three days, then I would think yes - you can't have doctors going around thinking, "Well, you may have injured yourself through idiocy therefore I'm not going to treat you..."

ReputationRep:
        They can cause some unpleasant side-effects, but it's better than developing HIV and potentially AIDS later on.

I'm not a doctor and don't know where OP is now. If he's in the UK or a place with a decent hospital (so the drugs are actually available) and the possible exposure is within the last three days, then probably yes - you can't have doctors going around thinking, "Well, you may have injured yourself idiocy therefore I'm not going to treat you..."
        No, but you could potentially have doctors deciding that the risk of the OP developing HIV from this single, unconfirmed exposure is less than the potential side effects of some pretty tough drugs.

Going to go research Ahh insomnia

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by lekky)
        No, but you could potentially have doctors deciding that the risk of the OP developing HIV from this single, unconfirmed exposure is less than the potential side effects of some pretty tough drugs.

The risk is relatively high, though, and the outcomes far worse...

ReputationRep:
        I went to south africa for my gap year. Best form of contraception is not having sex.

Get yourself checked out ASAP. You don't want to get HIV dude...

ReputationRep:
        The risk is relatively high, though, and the outcomes far worse...
        Is it high in this case though? I can't remember exact figures the transmission from a female to a male in vaginal sex is pretty low. I don't know anything about post exposure prophylaxis, though in a lecture we were given the lecturer told us about a colleague of hers who received PEP after a needle stick injury more than 10 years ago and still suffers the side effects, the degree of their unpleasantness was emphasised to us.

I think that you're right though:
        http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1840.asp...CategoryID=106
        http://www.fhi.org/en/rh/pubs/networ...postretmnt.htm -- basically in this one it says that if the risk is considered moderate/high that the person had HIV then PEP can be considered.

OP; sorry for the digression. We just studied HIV this week so I'm just feeding my own curiosity here. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by lekky)

Take a look at this and this.

Like I say, not a doctor ... but, if he got there quick enough, it seems like it would be a serious consideration.

i know your situation sucks but just get tested when you can ok and always have a rubber with u ok !!

a few weeks ago the condom the lad was using tore :O i was like omg omg omg and i got the morning after pill ... so no baby but im worried about sti's aswell ..... the condom is meant to protect you from getting pregnant and sti's but it decided to tear on me so i think being safe and having it backfire on you is way way worse then just being horny and silly cause you forgot to wrap your willy

They nearly always cause absolutely awful side effects.
          I'm not a doctor and don't know where OP is now. If he's in the UK or a place with a decent hospital (so the drugs are actually available) and the possible exposure is within the last three days, then I would think yes - you can't have doctors going around thinking, "Well, you may have injured yourself through idiocy therefore I'm not going to treat you..."
          No doctor will take that attitude, thats not the issue.
          The issue is studies have shown it has no effect after 72 hours, little effect if taken after 48 hours, and only really has decent effect if taken within 12 hours.
          So most places recommend PEP should only be given in the 72hours after exposure.

In this case it is certainly a high risk exposure. The only thing going for the patient is that he is male.

So I would give PEP if seen wthin 72 hours. But his post makes me think that is not the case.

Lekky - look up PEPSE if you want to read more.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.