Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Formatting my new computer for the first time (just XP home)

theres no option to "press x to boot", but theres a press F8 for BBS popup which seems to bring up the right thing where you select device to boot.

after i press my CD drive which has the disk in it just beeps and starts up windows normally though

ive tried 2 different disks

any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    You have to go into BIOS settings, and select the CD-ROM as the first device to boot. Save setting and exit.

I know what you mean by the BBS popup thing but that does not seem to work for me too the last time I tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhanoo)
    You have to go into BIOS settings, and select the CD-ROM as the first device to boot. Save setting and exit.

I know what you mean by the BBS popup thing but that does not seem to work for me too the last time I tried.
    yeh it is saved as my first device to boot, got no idea what to do to fix this

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... either there is a problem with your CD/DVD-drive or that your disc is not bootable.

Last time, I tried installing Windows 7 and I couldn't get it to boot, some kind of error appeared. I later found out the DVD-drive has reading problems.

If your motherboard supports USB booting, you could try installing Windows from a USB pendrive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhanoo)
    Hmm... either there is a problem with your CD/DVD-drive or that your disc is not bootable.

Last time, I tried installing Windows 7 and I couldn't get it to boot, some kind of error appeared. I lather found out the DVD-drive has reading problems.

If your motherboard supports USB booting, you could try installing Windows from a USB pendrive.
    right this is really weird

i have my old PC here, and just tried the disk, the same thing happens. so i figure its the disk. then i burn another bootable disk with a different iso file incase its that, still doesnt work.

andddddd, my new pc now will not even start up without one of these disks inside it, only when i put one in it lets me onto windows like this

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    right ive wiped the hard drive on my PC.

(im now on the old one)

when i boot up and put my XP disk in it just says "please insert windows disk into drive A"

i dont even have a drive A!

ReputationRep:
    Drive A was traditionally the floppy drive wasn't it? :-S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    Drive A was traditionally the floppy drive wasn't it? :-S
    Yeah it was, it's why it isn't really used anymore

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.