Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started uni last September (2009), and decided to move 3 hours away from home because I wanted to experience life in a completely new place. I had a reasonable first year, got on well enough with my flatmates, went out quite a lot etc and had a decent experience of uni life, but by the end of the year I found that, while most people I had met were now part of friendship groups, I hadn't really made any close friends. I decided to move in with some people that I didn't know too well for my second year, but this has backfired a bit as they are already part of a very strong friendship group and are just not really my kind of people. As a result I spent most of the last term on my own. I'm not beat up about having not made any friends, I have plenty of friends at home and it's just bad luck that I've not met anyone I really connect with at uni. But I am starting to feel like it's a bit of a waste of time staying and being isolated at uni when I could be having a much better time at home. I have learned what I wanted to about living away from home, so being so far away for another 18 months just seems a bit pointless and while I could probably tough it out, I'd rather not as I'm normally quite a social person. For this reason, I'd quite like to transfer home for the final year of my course, but I've not heard of anyone doing this and am not sure whether it's possible.

Does anyone know of anybody else who has had a similar experience, and if so what did they do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj12)
    ?
    what uni???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj12)
    I started uni last September (2009), and decided to move 3 hours away from home because I wanted to experience life in a completely new place. I had a reasonable first year, got on well enough with my flatmates, went out quite a lot etc and had a decent experience of uni life, but by the end of the year I found that, while most people I had met were now part of friendship groups, I hadn't really made any close friends. I decided to move in with some people that I didn't know too well for my second year, but this has backfired a bit as they are already part of a very strong friendship group and are just not really my kind of people. As a result I spent most of the last term on my own. I'm not beat up about having not made any friends, I have plenty of friends at home and it's just bad luck that I've not met anyone I really connect with at uni. But I am starting to feel like it's a bit of a waste of time staying and being isolated at uni when I could be having a much better time at home. I have learned what I wanted to about living away from home, so being so far away for another 18 months just seems a bit pointless and while I could probably tough it out, I'd rather not as I'm normally quite a social person. For this reason, I'd quite like to transfer home for the final year of my course, but I've not heard of anyone doing this and am not sure whether it's possible.

Does anyone know of anybody else who has had a similar experience, and if so what did they do?
    It'll probably differ depending on which university you're at. All you can do is speak to your university. I guess that you would have to transfer to a very similar course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.