Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it absolutely necessary to take maths A-level if i want to do economics in uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Before i begin my inquiry you should know that there isn't much in this world that i hate more than maths!! I HATE MATHS!!
    now back to my real purpose, i just wanted to know if it is absolutely necessary to have maths A-level if i want to do economics at a good university in the UK or USA??? These are the subjects that i'm doing for my A-levels at the moment >>> Economics, Business Studies, English Literature and History... Would not having maths as an A-level reduce my chances of getting into a good university?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what universities you're aiming for, but most top universities have a math a level requirement, and for the likes of LSE or Cambridge a lot of the applicants will have further math. If you're after a top 10 uni, yes I think it does. Besides, there's quite a bit of math in university economics. Why do you want to study economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabixx)
    Hi guys,

Before i begin my inquiry you should know that there isn't much in this world that i hate more than maths!! I HATE MATHS!!
    now back to my real purpose, i just wanted to know if it is absolutely necessary to have maths A-level if i want to do economics at a good university in the UK or USA??? These are the subjects that i'm doing for my A-levels at the moment >>> Economics, Business Studies, English Literature and History... Would not having maths as an A-level reduce my chances of getting into a good university?
    I think you should realise this : Economics is ALL about mathematics in Uni.

There are all sorts of theorems you need to understand to do well at Uni Level Economics.

So I suggest you get rid of that I-HATE-MATH attitude, pull up your socks and start studying maths.

ReputationRep:
    How can I put it...

yes.

If you don't like maths then seriously question why you want to take economics at university.

ReputationRep:
    Not having Maths may reduce your chances of getting into a good university to study Economics, however it won't eliminate them. Whether you choose a BSc or a BA will make a difference. For BSc Economics I strongly recommend you do Maths. For a lot of Economics BA courses Maths is not a prerequisite, but it is an advantage.
    You shouldn't study both Economics and Business Studies at A Level as many universities, particularly the top ones, consider these subjects to have too much of an overlap. Some state on their websites that if you do offer both Economics and Business Studies you will also need to have an additional 2 A Levels instead of the normal requirement of 3.

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessary but is helpful (if you want to go somewhere decent).

ReputationRep:
    for good unis (those in the top 10) i would say definitely yes. I don't know what would happen if you get like 6 A's and none of them are Maths. They might take you. But doing 4 (maths included) is the better option. A lot of the top notch unis will prefer students with further maths. Therefore not having maths will hamper your application.

Maths is overrated (at least at A-Level). I was like you; hated maths so much! But trust me. A level maths is really easy. It was the easiest of all my 5 subjects. Although I'm doing Law at the LSE, i know most of my econ friends did FM. I did Pure maths which included FP1 and FP2. FP2 was quite hard, but really maths is a piece of cake. Just approach with confidence and you'll be fine. Can't promise you an A* but an A most certainly!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

You should be asking yourself this: Why do I want to do economics but not mathematics?

Even at the uni with the least bit of quantitative stuff you will still need to do some maths, solve some equations, etc. So why push maths away for 2 years - will only make it harder at uni.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    :toofunny: OP you are deluded. If you manage to escape maths on any Economics course the course is rubbish. I suggest you do sociology if you really want to avoid maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    :toofunny: OP you are deluded. If you manage to escape maths on any Economics course the course is rubbish. I suggest you do sociology if you really want to avoid maths.
    Did you do A Level maths? :pierre:

OP, no. HOWEVER, if you want to get into a "good" uni, then yes. You'd struggle without A Level maths tbh, at least with the maths module(s).

ReputationRep:
    on the very first lecture in my economics degree someone put his hand up and said "I really dont like maths"
    he failed both years so far. my uni is only top 10 and its very very maths based
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    Did you do A Level maths? :pierre:

OP, no. HOWEVER, if you want to get into a "good" uni, then yes. You'd struggle without A Level maths tbh, at least with the maths module(s).
    :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I did pretty much the same A Levels, Economics and Business Studies (but as one subject), History and English Lit (and German at AS). To be honest I didn't properly look into what unis I could have applied for with my grades, I was adament I was going to Newcastle hahah. I applied for three economics courses and I just put my fourth and fifth choices as International Business. I got offers for Economics at Newcastle, Sheffield and Manchester and I only have a B in GCSE maths, so yeah I suppose if you consider those unis to be good ones then no maths isn't that necessary. It does limit where you can apply to though, I really wish I'd been better at it but its not the end of the world

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Economics is very mathematical at the university level as such most top universities would require students to not only take them, but also ace them. Therefore by not taking a level maths you have probably been eliminated from some of the best universities (lse, UCL etc.) For the US I believe there's no strict entry requirement for economics but you should do well in maths SATs or APs.

If you really hate maths, I strongly suggest you reconsider studying economics at the university level.

ReputationRep:
    The Econ course at my University (which is a good one just in case anyone thinks 'it must be a **** uni cos it doesnt have a maths entry requirement') like I said does not have a maths entry requirement, and it starts from scratch unlike some other top universities, but it is very, very mathematical already, some people I know who take it as their first year extra subject has failed subsequently because they cannot comprehend the mathematics behind it, and the people who are taking econ as their real subject are pretty much very content with maths. You should do some more research on what university level economics are like, then it'll help you decide whether economics is the right choice for you if you dont like mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to answer my question too?
    I'm taking maths, but not sure about further maths. Will not having further maths reduce my chances of getting into the best unis, like Cambridge or LSE. The alternative would probably be politics.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangstermidget)
    The Econ course at my University (which is a good one just in case anyone thinks 'it must be a **** uni cos it doesnt have a maths entry requirement') like I said does not have a maths entry requirement, and it starts from scratch unlike some other top universities, but it is very, very mathematical already, some people I know who take it as their first year extra subject has failed subsequently because they cannot comprehend the mathematics behind it, and the people who are taking econ as their real subject are pretty much very content with maths. You should do some more research on what university level economics are like, then it'll help you decide whether economics is the right choice for you if you dont like mathematics.
    Which uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ears)
    Anyone want to answer my question too?
    I'm taking maths, but not sure about further maths. Will not having further maths reduce my chances of getting into the best unis, like Cambridge or LSE. The alternative would probably be politics.
    Having further maths, unless it's not available at your school/college is a definite advantage. You can still get into top places, but to be honest your LSE chances are probably quite low, Cambridge is possible if you choose the right college, get really good module scores and show them in your interview that you're definitely a good mathematician.

I'm taking FM AS and have offers from Cambridge, Warwick and UCL but no FM at all will be more of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bakeyy)
    Having further maths, unless it's not available at your school/college is a definite advantage. You can still get into top places, but to be honest your LSE chances are probably quite low, Cambridge is possible if you choose the right college, get really good module scores and show them in your interview that you're definitely a good mathematician.

I'm taking FM AS and have offers from Cambridge, Warwick and UCL but no FM at all will be more of a problem.
    Thanks for your help.
    I just wish I knew more about how hard it's going to be. I'm able at maths, got an A* at gcse, but when I see the threads on here it's just like - woah. Hope I learn to understand it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ears)
    Thanks for your help.
    I just wish I knew more about how hard it's going to be. I'm able at maths, got an A* at gcse, but when I see the threads on here it's just like - woah. Hope I learn to understand it all.
    a-level further maths isnt 'hard', it doesnt require much of an understanding into the theories behind the techniques you learn, a lot of people in my school just practised and practised past papers to get good grades, if you can manage single maths easily, further maths may be a good choice for you. although with that said, it only helps you to get into universities, you will still need to understand the real maths if you want to be a good economist, well, it's only my opinion anyways

(Original post by .ACS.)
    Which uni?
    st. andrews

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.