Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, for those of you that have had previous experiences with retainers, how do I know whether the front wire is bent or not? Does it feel tighter in your mouth? Whenever I look at my retainer the wire at the front is not perfectly straight but I have no discomfort wearing it in mouth or anything.. I have an appointment at the beginning of January will my dentist just adjust the wire to make it perfectly straight again? any past experiences of this kind please reply... thank you!

ReputationRep:
    if your teeth remain in a straight line (no relapse back to original crooked state), and the wire of your retainer does not apply less/more pressure against any of your teeth then i'm sure the brace is fine for the time being

ReputationRep:
    usually after a while it will get a little bent, which your orthodontist will fix with a pair of pliars at your next appointment. If it starts to hurt though, then you have probably bent it a lot. If thats the case phone up and make an appointment.

ReputationRep:
    ohh thanks a lot really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    I'm really curious to know what determines whether you get a plastic retainer or a wire one! The majority of people I know ended up with wire, but for some reason I was given plastic ones... any idea?

OP, my boyfriend said his retainers were getting uncomfortable (wire) so he just went to his orthodontists (even though he'd had braces YEARS ago) and they just tweaked them a bit there and then

ReputationRep:
    am not too sure what the difference is between a wired and clear, i guess u can't really notice the clear one in comparison to the wired one :s ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.