Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's with all the 'Buy It Now' rubbish on ebay? watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find it annoying how ebay has been swamped with 'buy it now' products, rather than actual auctions?

It would seem for every one item listed as an auction, there are at least 10 items listed as 'buy it now'. Plus these are always more expensive than it costs to buy them new in the shops. Who actually buys them?

ReputationRep:
    i assume its people who cant be bothered to set up their own websites to sell stuff

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be so bad if the buy it now items were reasonably priced, but they aren't.

Also I think its somewhat inaccurate for ebay to call themselves an auction site these days, no?

ReputationRep:
    I almost exclusively buy Buy-It-Now items. Contrary to your findings, I mostly find buy-it-now listings to be cheaper than buying the same thing in shops - for example I bought my brother a bag for his birthday, £22.99 new in stores, £15.99 new off eBay. Cost me £2 p+p, but saved me £4 in train fares.

When selling things, I've also found items sell much better on Buy-It-Now than via auction, even though the buyer probably ended up paying more for it.

It's all a matter of patience. When I go to buy something, I don't want to have to wait 7 days to find out if I've got it or not - if I HAVEN'T won it, I have to find another item, then wait another 3 days to see if I've won that one, and so on. And if there's something that I really like but I get outbid and don't win it, it's slightly heart-breaking.

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever bid, the majority of things that I get are Buy It Now. I love it.. not everything is more expensive than shops! If you're finding that, then you're not trying hard enough :P

I buy little things like screen protectors for my BB, cases for it, books, games, DVDs.. pretty cheap!

ReputationRep:
    BIN > Auctions. I hate how on ebay whenever I'm the highest bidder on something, I always get outbid like 2 seconds before the auctions closes. Also most BIN goods are much cheaper than in the shops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    BIN > Auctions. I hate how on ebay whenever I'm the highest bidder on something, I always get outbid like 2 seconds before the auctions closes. Also most BIN goods are much cheaper than in the shops.
    Is that how you got Reach?

ReputationRep:
    I agree that so few items are actually auctions these days. They really need to sort is out because you have items with a starting price of like £9.98 and a BIN of £9.99. However, I actually like ebay for shopping, and specifically put the filter to show BIN items only. I don't know what sort of items you look for, OP, but I've found it to be quite cheap. I love ebau for buying random items every now and again. Although I only use it for items I can't really get elsewhere.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.