Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to several Unis to do an Accounting and Finance degree, including the PWC and E&Y degrees at Newcastle and Lancaster respectively. However, I only got BBC on my AS levels and this is what is on my UCAS application.

Still, I think I’m capable of getting AAB by the end of college as I’m working a whole lot harder than I did during my first year. Assuming I get these grades, will I be able to get a job at one of the Big 4 after uni, and do I have any shot at the E&Y and PWC degrees?

I was also considering applying for one of the school leaver’s schemes, to get a start with my career early especially with the rise in tuition fees. It seems that if go this route, I will a head start in my career than if I was a graduate and I’m quite confident I’ll stick with accountancy. Still, will not having a degree limit what I’m able to do at any point?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    you wont have to pay back your student loan till your earning 21'000 and that repayment can be as little as £100 a month. your education is invaluable... have a good think about it before you make a decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omen212)
    I've applied to several Unis to do an Accounting and Finance degree, including the PWC and E&Y degrees at Newcastle and Lancaster respectively. However, I only got BBC on my AS levels and this is what is on my UCAS application.

Still, I think I’m capable of getting AAB by the end of college as I’m working a whole lot harder than I did during my first year. Assuming I get these grades, will I be able to get a job at one of the Big 4 after uni, and do I have any shot at the E&Y and PWC degrees?

I was also considering applying for one of the school leaver’s schemes, to get a start with my career early especially with the rise in tuition fees. It seems that if go this route, I will a head start in my career than if I was a graduate and I’m quite confident I’ll stick with accountancy. Still, will not having a degree limit what I’m able to do at any point?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    If you get your AAB then that would be fine. Employers ask for a breakdown of what grades you got but not your modular scores from A levels. Resitting AS levels in January/June is also fine.

Degrees might be tougher because they will have to base their choice on your AS grades if you apply this year. I don't know enough about the schemes to say what their requirements are to be honest.

The school leaver scheme has advantages and disadvantages, it's something you need to think about very carefully. I think you end up qualifying a year earlier than someone doing a standard degree (would need to check that) and obviously you get paid while you're doing the AAT instead of paying through your BSc/BA. University has a lot of benefits beyond the education - your independence, maturing, networking etc. Personally I wouldn't have been ready to start at KPMG when I was 18, I needed those 3 years at uni. Having said that I know people on the school leaver scheme who are loving it and are very well thought of in their departments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 86501)
    If you get your AAB then that would be fine. Employers ask for a breakdown of what grades you got but not your modular scores from A levels. Resitting AS levels in January/June is also fine.

Degrees might be tougher because they will have to base their choice on your AS grades if you apply this year. I don't know enough about the schemes to say what their requirements are to be honest.

The school leaver scheme has advantages and disadvantages, it's something you need to think about very carefully. I think you end up qualifying a year earlier than someone doing a standard degree (would need to check that) and obviously you get paid while you're doing the AAT instead of paying through your BSc/BA. University has a lot of benefits beyond the education - your independence, maturing, networking etc. Personally I wouldn't have been ready to start at KPMG when I was 18, I needed those 3 years at uni. Having said that I know people on the school leaver scheme who are loving it and are very well thought of in their departments.

What about the long term advantages of doing the AAT instead of University?
    Can you advance/move up the ladder equally if you dont do a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delasandro)
    What about the long term advantages of doing the AAT instead of University?
    Can you advance/move up the ladder equally if you dont do a degree?
    I'm confident that AAT vs BSc/BA wouldn't make a difference once you've fully qualified with your firm and that any promotion choices would be made based on other criteria to do with how you've performed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.