Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've bought a xbox and kinect bundle but although I want to play right away, I don't want to get my one month free live subscription free straight away. Is it possible to do that? None of my friends are currently buying a subscription so I want to wait, but I do want to play on the kinect.

ReputationRep:
    An Xbox LIVE subscription is NOT required to play with Kinect. However, a connection to the internat via a Silver account may be necessary to install the Kinect, as the Xbox may be using the firmware version before the current version (if the tiles overlap on the dashboard, and are dark blue, you need to update).

Make sure the 360 is connected to the internet using an ethernet cable, switch the Xbox on, then plug the Kinect sesnor into the box. if it prompts you to update upon connection of the sensor, that's all you need to do, and you don't need to set up LIVE just yet. If it doesn't, you may need a sivler account to get it working.

If you do need a silver account, click here, then click join for free, and follow the steps to setting up your account. DO NOT INSERT ANY PAYMENT INFO, IT'S A PAIN TO GET RID OF!! Once done, select that you want to import an account on your Xbox. When the acocunt is imported, sign in, and the Xbox will prompt you for an update so you can connect to Xbox LIVE. This is the same update required to play with the Kinect sensor.

Hope this helps,

Tathrim

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply.

The xbox has wifi built in, do I need to use the cable even though I have that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Handbag)
    Thank you for your reply.

The xbox has wifi built in, do I need to use the cable even though I have that?
    No, the Xbox can connect over Wifi, though if you experience problems with how fast the connection is on the wireless network, it would be adviseable for you to switch to a wired solution to improve netowrk performance.

To use the wireless, just click the Built In wireless panel in the My Xbox section when the Xbox isn't plugged in via Ethernet. IT'll scan for your network, and connect once it detects it. if you've set the network to not broadcast, Select Advanced Options > Specify unlisted network, enter the newtowrk name and any security information needed. Once done, your Xbox should be connected.

See xbox.xom's Wireless connection guide (click here) for screenshot instructions

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to return it and buy the Kinect alone as we already have an xbox.

Otherwise, where's the best place to sell it?

ReputationRep:
    CEX or HMV do better trade-in's for cash.

ReputationRep:
    You should also check out what people have been doing to the Kinect. Install the Open Source drivers to make 3D video capturing, like here

ReputationRep:
    That camera thing looks cool.

I went to cex and they quoted the worst price almost.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.