Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Original Volunteers India Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had the money for weeks, just been scared to formally apply lol, so I did it late last night and they rang me this morning(woke me up at 9.15 -_-) to confirm and give me info etc...

I'm so nervous lol, I just hope I have a good experience.

The purpose of this thread is: Has anyone been with OV ?

I've just Googled this, please don't tell me they charge you £47 per week to volunteer?!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ritchie888)
      I've just Googled this, please don't tell me they charge you £47 per week to volunteer?!
      um yes?

(Original post by Wilzyy)
        um yes?
        That is beyond ridiculous and quite a disgusting attitude towards getting volunteers IMO.
        Not only do they want you to move halfway across the world to do work for them for free (for a good cause, I'm sure) but they then want you to pay them to do it?

Un-****ing-believable.

ReputationRep:
        That is beyond ridiculous and quite a disgusting attitude towards getting volunteers IMO.
        Not only do they want you to move halfway across the world to do work for them for free (for a good cause, I'm sure) but they then want you to pay them to do it?

Un-****ing-believable.
        Lol. Just lol.

You've obviously never looked into these sorts of programs before, let alone how they can and do run. That's a great price for it.

How do you think they support these projects, it's not like people donate to things like them. It's the only way they can do it.

ReputationRep:

Un-****ing-believable.
        No, I want to go halfway across the world to volunteer. The weekly pay goes towards the family you're staying with, I guess to help pay for your food+stay etc..
        And I think it's useful as I've never been to India, they're organising it for me, so next time I can do it myself..

(Original post by Evil Monkey)
          Lol. Just lol.

You've obviously never looked into these sorts of programs before, let alone how they can and do run. That's a great price for it.

How do you think they support these projects, it's not like people donate to things like them. It's the only way they can do it.
          No. I've never looked into it. I feel there are much better ways to help.

I've got many friends that have volunteered over the past and I have NEVER heard of people having to pay to do it. It's a ****ing stupid concept.
          I do expect them to provide you with a type of shelter and some food for free seeing as I would be working my ass off every day for absolutely nothing (I wouldn't expect it to be good shelter or food).

It's the same thing as going up to a stranger and saying "Here, have my gold watch, BUT THAT'S NOT ALL, I'm also going to give you £100 as well".

This isn't the way to entice people into helping. If I was planning on taking a year out to do some charity work I would certainly think about volunteering in another country for a while. The idea of having to pay for that is simply stupid.

ReputationRep:
          I have to say I have always found the idea of paying to volunteer quite perplexing. While I understand there will be costs involved, the prices some companies charge are ridiculous, to me at least.

ReputationRep:
          I've had the money for weeks, just been scared to formally apply lol, so I did it late last night and they rang me this morning(woke me up at 9.15 -_-) to confirm and give me info etc...

I'm so nervous lol, I just hope I have a good experience.

The purpose of this thread is: Has anyone been with OV ?
          Check out global fellowship. Its free. My sister's doing platform 2 but they're stopping it as the government cut the funding.

http://www.global-fellowship.org/

I know it does seem that organisations are making money out of do gooders but some just do it to cover essential costs.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by aprilterri)
          Check out global fellowship. Its free. My sister's doing platform 2 but they're stopping it as the government cut the funding.

http://www.global-fellowship.org/

I know it does seem that organisations are making money out of do gooders but some just do it to cover essential costs.
          Lol....why did you tell me to check it out if they're no longer doing it lool

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Shroob)
          I have to say I have always found the idea of paying to volunteer quite perplexing. While I understand there will be costs involved, the prices some companies charge are ridiculous, to me at least.
          Original volunteers, which I'll be going with don't charge a lot, I think this is because they organise a project for you, a placement family and accomodation and I'll be arranging the rest e.g. visa/flights/insurance
          The other companies I think do all of these aspects for you, so you basically have the luxury of sitting back and doing nothing(well I should hope so anyway)

ReputationRep:
          Lol....why did you tell me to check it out if they're no longer doing it lool
          no global fellowship are still doing it but platform two aren't. I sent you a link for global fellowship lol

ReputationRep:
          no global fellowship are still doing it but platform two aren't. I sent you a link for global fellowship lol
          Are you certain about that lol.
          http://www.global-fellowship.org/abo...ellowship.aspx

ReputationRep:
          Are you certain about that lol.
          http://www.global-fellowship.org/abo...ellowship.aspx
          my bad it says they're not sure so you could keep an eye out.
          just tryna help

ReputationRep:
          my bad it says they're not sure so you could keep an eye out.
          just tryna help
          lolol cool thanks

ReputationRep:
          No. I've never looked into it. I feel there are much better ways to help.

I've got many friends that have volunteered over the past and I have NEVER heard of people having to pay to do it. It's a ****ing stupid concept.
          I do expect them to provide you with a type of shelter and some food for free seeing as I would be working my ass off every day for absolutely nothing (I wouldn't expect it to be good shelter or food).

It's the same thing as going up to a stranger and saying "Here, have my gold watch, BUT THAT'S NOT ALL, I'm also going to give you £100 as well".

This isn't the way to entice people into helping. If I was planning on taking a year out to do some charity work I would certainly think about volunteering in another country for a while. The idea of having to pay for that is simply stupid.
          while i dont agree with what you've said cos even if you do volunteer work in the uk you normally have to pay for your accomodation and food at least.
          i suggest you look into EVS- the european volunteer service, its EU funded and they even give you money every month to cover food and sightseeing!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.