Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi, I'm really confused and could really use an insight into this...
    So, my boyfriend of only a month or so broke up with me, I wasn't particularly torn up about it and took it very calmly.
    His reason: The longer we go out for, the worse the break up would be and the more we'd hate each other, and i really don't want to loose you from my life... and how all his past relationships ended really badly and he doesn't want that to happen with me....
    anyway, we then hung out for an hour or so more, and it was just fun and normal, but then he was like 'i don't want this to end', i tried to leave, he told me not to go, tried to kiss me, and just got really depressed to the point where i was telling him to cheer up.
    Over the past few days he keeps texting me, but with really normal conversational things....

I'm really confused, does anyone have any idea what on earth he is on about? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I did this to my bf, i was scared it was all going to go tits up and the later it happened the more it would hurt. i then immediately back tracked and haven't done it since. sounds like he temporarily freaked out

ReputationRep:
    I think he is afraid of commitment, or that he is frightened that this relationship would end up the same way as the others, I would talk to him about his concerns and try to relieve him of these concerns.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    my ex did something like this to me. broke up with me cos he thought it was getting too serious (not quite the same thing i realise but you get my point) and then a month later decided hed made the wrong decision and told me by which time it was too late! (mainly cos after the break up was the time my family chose to tell me they didnt like him :/ would have been helpful before but oh well lol) ... anyway, have a chat to him now its all calmed down and see if this is what he really wants

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like he has an underlying issue with the relationship. Meet him in a comfortable atmosphere and just ask him why he worries about breaking up so soon.
    • TSR Support Team

Maybe he's been cheated on in the past which has made him scared of being hurt, maybe talk to him about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.