Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I've been reading around for a little while about the tuition fees reform, as I am of the mind that it makes sense. It might not be what everyone wants, but it certainly has some merit. I was against it at first, because it sounded ridiculous, but as I read various documents, the reasons behind why it is happening started to shine through.

But I'm not here to argue about whether its right or wrong, thats happening everywhere. What I am struggling to understand is what exactly do the protesters want?

Do they just want it to be the way it is at the moment? Do they want to do a Scotland and get rid of tuition fees altogether? Or am I missing something, and do they want something else?

They do it for the lulz.

ReputationRep:
      The students were lied to. People put their votes with Nick Cleggs promise to scrap the fees and now because of coalition, the fees have tripled.
      So i believe the protesters want what they were promised.

ReputationRep:
      I can understand that a lot of students that put their vote with Nick Clegg because of the possibility of no tuition fees would be disappointed that he did not fight harder for this, and instead the tuition fees are going up. But then Nick Clegg is not the Prime Minister.

To be honest, I think it was more of a vote gainer - and it certainly did that. There's no sustainability behind reducing tuition fees to nothing, and even the Lib Dems should have been able to figure that out.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mn101)
      Hello all,

I've been reading around for a little while about the tuition fees reform, as I am of the mind that it makes sense. It might not be what everyone wants, but it certainly has some merit. I was against it at first, because it sounded ridiculous, but as I read various documents, the reasons behind why it is happening started to shine through.

But I'm not here to argue about whether its right or wrong, thats happening everywhere. What I am struggling to understand is what exactly do the protesters want?

Do they just want it to be the way it is at the moment? Do they want to do a Scotland and get rid of tuition fees altogether? Or am I missing something, and do they want something else?
      I don't think all protesters are unified in their beliefs, but here are some things some people might want (not everyone will want all of, or even any of these):

1. Clegg and the Lib Dems to have kept their promise
      2. Keep tuition fees the same, or at least keep them at affordable levels
      3. Scrap tuition fees altogether
      4. Not increase fees so dramatically
      5. Stop 80% cuts to university teaching grants
      6. Keep the EMA
      7. Some feel they have been lied to and the democratic process has failed them and can see no other way to make change
      8. Unite with other sectors facing cuts against MPs who do not care about the public and instigate major political change
      9. Be heard

There are many more reasons people may feel they want to protest or become politically active

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mn101)
      I can understand that a lot of students that put their vote with Nick Clegg because of the possibility of no tuition fees would be disappointed that he did not fight harder for this, and instead the tuition fees are going up. But then Nick Clegg is not the Prime Minister.

To be honest, I think it was more of a vote gainer - and it certainly did that. There's no sustainability behind reducing tuition fees to nothing, and even the Lib Dems should have been able to figure that out.
      Clegg's a part of the coalition though, he could of easily prevented the bill. He just chose not to. Remember, David's the Prime Minister however, he needs a majority in elections and when casting votes. So In reality Clegg the ******** could have done a lot more than ignore his pledge.

ReputationRep:
      Why is it that people keep forgetting the protests aren't just about the tuition fee rises?

It's about University & education cuts in general, some people at the protests may agree with the tuition fee rises.

ReputationRep:
      I think the protests are mostly about having everything for free.
      Sounds fun, but probably wouldn't work

ReputationRep:
      People are angry because the lib dems knew if a coalition occured they would cave on tuition fees, YET they campaigned on them anyway. Blatantly lying to their voters.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by oliver260793)
      The students were lied to. People put their votes with Nick Cleggs promise to scrap the fees and now because of coalition, the fees have tripled.
      So i believe the protesters want what they were promised.
      But then, what about the Conservative voters who voted for this? Do they not deserve what they were promised? Its the problem with coalitions, some voters will always be hacked off with the people they voted for.

(Of course, the flip side is that a Government had to be formed).

To the OP, I think the students feel/felt they were being victimised by tory cuts ('Tory Scum', 'shame on you for turning blue' etc...). Some felt like this because of a lack of understanding the policies due to scaremongering, some simply because they hate/mistrust the tories, and some who think debt will deter poorer students - with the odd thug or anarchist thrown in.

ReputationRep:
      To be fair, nick clegg promised no tuition fees if the lib dems won. But they didn't. They had to make an agreement with the party that won the election to create a coaltion. Part of this agreement meant both the cons and the dems had to give up some policies and agree with some policies they wouldn't have otherwise agreed with. So you could just look at it that way.

But still, **** cameron!!!!!!!!!hahahahaha

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Craiky1506)
      Why is it that people keep forgetting the protests aren't just about the tuition fee rises?

It's about University & education cuts in general, some people at the protests may agree with the tuition fee rises.
      Yes, agreed.

Some may also be against the wider cuts the gov't is making to the NHS, disability allowance, coastguard, public sector

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Flob)
      But then, what about the Conservative voters who voted for this? Do they not deserve what they were promised? Its the problem with coalitions, some voters will always be hacked off with the people they voted for.

(Of course, the flip side is that a Government had to be formed).

To the OP, I think the students feel/felt they were being victimised by tory cuts ('Tory Scum', 'shame on you for turning blue' etc...). Some felt like this because of a lack of understanding the policies due to scaremongering, some simply because they hate/mistrust the tories, and some who think debt will deter poorer students - with the odd thug or anarchist thrown in.
      I don't inherently mistrust the Tories and am willing to consider a party for its merits and do feel the Tories are doing some good, but on balance I do not agree with all of the current cuts being made particularly by the Tories. I recognize that cuts will hit a large section of society, not only students.

ReputationRep:
      Havent seen a thread about this in a while!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Huskaris)
      I think the protests are mostly about having everything for free.
      Sounds fun, but probably wouldn't work
      Not all protesters are calling for free university education and are no expecting everything for free.

When tuition fees started at £1k odd and rose to £3k odd, there were not such scenes of protest.

It seems many people feel the max cap increase from £3k odd to £9k odd is too much.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by No Future)
      Not all protesters are calling for free university education and are no expecting everything for free.

When tuition fees started at £1k odd and rose to £3k odd, there were not such scenes of protest.

It seems many people feel the max cap increase from £3k odd to £9k odd is too much.
      It's because Labour did it, and Labour can do what they want and the lefties don't really care, and the right wingers agree with it because they have common sense anyway.
      The tories do something similar, the left wingers are up in arms at "affluent Tory Scum"

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Huskaris)
      It's because Labour did it, and Labour can do what they want and the lefties don't really care, and the right wingers agree with it because they have common sense anyway.
      The tories do something similar, the left wingers are up in arms at "affluent Tory Scum"
      Labour aren't exactly left wing.
      People are angry with the Lib Dem more than the Tories.
      People are angry with the very high fees proposed.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by No Future)

I must admit, I was shocked at the £9k cap as well. I thought it was a truly ridiculous amount to pay per year - but at least that beats it being raised to unlimited and set by the Universities! And then when you start to look at it, its the same proportionate increase as last time from £1k to £3k - it just looks a lot more going from 3 to 9.

I was under the impression that the protests were just about tuition fees increasing - so thank you for widening my knowledge. It's ashame that the cuts have to come to the education sector, because for a small Country, we have one of the best University systems in the world - and since it is going to be effectively privatised, it will certainly change some things. But, you can't just not make cuts in education as there is a large proportion of money going in to it.

Ultimately, the cuts are going to hit everywhere and we just have to live with it, and if we don't think they're doing the right thing, change your vote at the next election (...though don't base it on what the other parties say, because we can see its all lies and nonsense).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mn101)
      I must admit, I was shocked at the £9k cap as well. I thought it was a truly ridiculous amount to pay per year - but at least that beats it being raised to unlimited and set by the Universities! And then when you start to look at it, its the same proportionate increase as last time from £1k to £3k - it just looks a lot more going from 3 to 9.
      Yes, same % increase, but the difference between 1 and 3k is 2k, whereas the difference between 3 and 9k is 6k. The difference is 3 x more.

(Original post by mn101)

Ultimately, the cuts are going to hit everywhere and we just have to live with it, and if we don't think they're doing the right thing, change your vote at the next election (...though don't base it on what the other parties say, because we can see its all lies and nonsense).
      Not necessarily my opinions, just some general thoughts:

Some people believe that we don't have to just live with it and can protest and revolt. I do not necessarily agree with this stance, but some cite the Poll Tax riots, the Suffragettes as being examples of when protest and going against the gov't did work. Sometimes, writing letters to MPs and voting doesn't work to make change.

Tariq Ali makes some interesting points to consider:
      http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1492625

Some also feel that voting doesn't work. How can you choose which party to vote for if they are not going to keep their pledges? Some people feel betrayed and don't know who to vote for and who to believe.

ReputationRep:
      We expected the rise from the Tories (that's what they do) but the Lib Dems where supposed to be there to cushion the blow. Lowering the fees from unlimited to 9k is a lot better but still- 9k! They should have compromised on this issue instead of the others that they compromised on.
      6k I would have been alright with.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.