Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, A few weeks ago I was off thursday friday, then the entire following week because of snow, and today school is off again because of it. One of our teachers said that if we miss anymore time we can kiss our highers goodbye. Am I the only one getting really anxious about this? I know there is glow etc, but you actually need a degree to work it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm stressing because all my school things are at school at the moment, cos I wasn't expecting to be off today. Our school doesn't have a reputation for closing. But yeah, I can totally see why you're worried. I've only had 2 and a half snow days so far this school year, and it's such a stress!! But I'll manage. Just have to work like a demon when you're actually at school I guess. I really hope I'm back on Monday, I need my folders or how am I going to revise for Prelims over Christmas? So yeah, you're not the only one worrying, and you've been off more than me. Then again, I survived missing a whole week of school cos I was in New Zealand, so I'm sure your Highers aren't a write-off just yet. :lol:

Oh, and I some HP innuendo's for you.

"Harry stuffed his wand back in his trousers and tried to look innocent."
    Snape-"He will penetrate your mind with absurd ease, Potter!"
    Lupin-"I wouldn't want you to judge your father on what you saw there, Harry. He was only fifteen." Could be an innuendo, if you have a dirty enough mind
    Harry-"What d'you mean, I'm not brave in bed?"
    Snape-""You let me get in too far. You lost control."

I could probably find others. :lol: Harry Potter is a dodgy book.

ReputationRep:
    Oh you guys. School kids? At college, we get 4 hours a week (if that) and have missed SO MUCH, but it is up to YOU to clarify it. Read ahead, make notes and do not get lazy.

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher is wrong. Usually teachers plan the year so that you have a few weeks before exams to revise in class, so it's not like they don't have any extra time to teach.

ReputationRep:
    Prelims might be postponed, depending on the school. Highers almost certainly will not, unless loads of schools miss loads more time.

ReputationRep:
    Chill. You've missed less than 2 weeks. Even if teachers didn't plan to have a few weeks for revision in class before study leave, you could teach yourself that in study leave, and unless you're unlucky, it wouldn't be worth that much anyways. If you're that worried, just do some work in the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    It's actually a good chance for you to revise at home, get caught up with anything and do extra work if you feel you are falling behind. It won't have an effect on your grades if you don't let it.

ReputationRep:
    Just read up your notes from before and have a look at your textbooks. I would have stressed out at the time as well when I was still in school.. but at uni you realise how simple highers are to revise for.
    Your teacher sounds a bit of a drama queen! Its easier to revise at home anyway

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, teachers always panic about the lack of time to complete the Higher coursework, especially when the school closes for several days (due to snow) and therefore you miss several teaching periods. Maybe she was trying to make you all slightly nervous on purpose, so you'll all start to study and work hard in class and at home aswell...but that's just a wee bit cruel! :p: If you study hard and keep up-to-date with your work then you shouldn't fail.

Just wait to you get to Advanced Higher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottishShortiex)
    Just wait to you get to Advanced Higher
    Wait till you have to do something hard:p:

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? Haha you've got a daft teacher. Your future is in your hands regardless of snow, put some work in

ReputationRep:
    No: your highers are in jeopardy because you can't spell 'jeopardy'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    No: your highers are in jeopardy because you can't spell 'jeopardy'.
    Spelling has never been my strong point...

But thanks for all the advice guys, it has made me feel a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alt__x)
    Spelling has never been my strong point...

But thanks for all the advice guys, it has made me feel a lot better.
    I couldn't resist.

Flippancy aside, I'm sure you'll be fine. And if you can't manage a degree of self-directed learning then it's doubtful whether you'd be able to manage a degree at all: so the situation is win-win, really.

ReputationRep:
    As a matter of interest, where about are you? I'm sure you'll be fine though - the teacher will make sure the course is completed adequately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Wait till you have to do something hard:p:
    Advanced Highers are quite hard, especially Maths, compared to Higher. :yes: Uni student are you? :p: If you are, then I do understand that the work will be so much harder than school!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottishShortiex)
    Advanced Highers are quite hard, especially Maths, compared to Higher. :yes: Uni student are you? :p: If you are, then I do understand that the work will be so much harder than school!
    Finalist, yeah. But I felt maths was possibly the easiest advanced higher I did, and not much of a step from higher:p:
    My opinion at the time of advanced highers was pretty similar to now actually now I think about it:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    As a matter of interest, where about are you? I'm sure you'll be fine though - the teacher will make sure the course is completed adequately
    In Aberdeenshire, the land of sheep shaggers

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher is a drama queen.

(Original post by Alt__x)
    In Aberdeenshire, the land of sheep shaggers

ReputationRep:
    Unless loads of schools continue to stay off for a couple more weeks then there isn't much chance of the SQA delaying exams. They can't really, if they delay exams then that delays the result dates, and hense its a chain reaction as then universities wouldn't have time to prepare etc/make decisions.

It really is going to come down to your own personal effort. You need to attend after school supported study etc and ask for extra work.

Out of interest, what subjects are you doing? i might be able to provide some materials ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.