Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You have y = 1 + x + x^3 no other information have bee given. It is asked what is largest possible domain and corresponding range for this function?
    Usually your given domain values or know what the graph looks like but here i am clueless :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help

(Original post by Jowhar)
      You have y = 1 + x + x^3 no other information have bee given. It is asked what is largest possible domain and corresponding range for this function?
      Usually your given domain values or know what the graph looks like but here i am clueless :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help
      We have to answer two questions:

1) Are there any values of x which the function won't work for? If not, the domain is going to be \mathbb{R}. If so, the domain is going to be \mathbb{R} with the problem points taken away. (For example, if we have y = 1/x then a problem point is x=0.)

2) Are there any values of y that aren't given by our domain? In other words, if I give you any value of y, can you find an x value that gives the y value? If you can, then the range will also be \mathbb{R}.

ReputationRep:
      Ok so can you please correct me after please

I think that x will work for any value including 0 so the domain will R?
      If domain values are all R then range values will all be R?

Thank you for you explanation but i dont so much understand 2nd point about range?

ReputationRep:
      Can someone give me the answer please? or correct what im thinking?

ReputationRep:
      I kind of agree with you.
      If the domain is R, then I think the range (aka codomain) should also be R. You have to work out how to justiy it though, a picture is a good start.

I'm bothered by this though:

What is largest possible domain and corresponding range.
      "Largest"?
      What kind of set theory are you using here? Have you covered complex numbers or quaternions or anything? This is a little vague...

Ok so can you please correct me after please

I think that x will work for any value including 0 so the domain will R?
        If domain values are all R then range values will all be R?

Thank you for you explanation but i dont so much understand 2nd point about range?
        Yeah, that's right.

To see how the range might not be the whole of R, imagine y = x^2. The largest possible domain is \mathbb{R}, but the range isn't \mathbb{R} as x^2 can't be negative! The range will instead be x\in \mathbb{R} with x \geq 0.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.