Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ok, so MODS, i'm posting in here because i'd like to remain anonymous. Thanks

Long story, short version: I'm not well. I have a fair few health issues under inverstigation and as a result I lost my job and I'm struggling to get another one.
    I get housing benefit but it isn't enough to cover my rent. I had savings from when I worked but now they're all gone.
    I don't have any source of income currently apart from £50pw, which just isn't enough. I have creditors on my back and I can't pay my rent.

I have left things to the last minute with Christmas presents and i'm looking at selling some of my jewellery to get some money to buy presents with.
    But th bottom line is, how do I raise money quickly? I need to pay my rent as of last week, and i'm struggling so much.

I've been to the CAB and all they can do is try to push things through a bit quicker (i'm waiting to see if i qualify for disability allowance), but at the minute everything's at a halt.

Could I get a credit card not being in work? What about an emergency grant or something? Where can I go to get help? I'm so worried i'm going to end up with nowhere to live and i've been on the phone to the council every day. I'm at my wits end

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried applying for a Hardship Loan?

ReputationRep:
    If you're waiting for your benefits to be processed, you can get a crisis loan in the meantime. Tell them you lost your money and desperately need a crisis loan to pay your electric and to buy some food. You can get up to about 100 quid and should get paid the same day. Look up the crisis loans phone number online.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, do not panic. Stay calm no matter what, keep a cool head and don't make snap decisions.

A crisis loan?
    Is that a specific bank or is that through the council?
    I'm going to go in a min to talk to them and explain my circumstances, i really hope there's something to be done. It;s difficult for me to get to town on my own though due to illness (i'm hooked up to a heart machine)
    I'm gona try and apply for a credit card is all else fails, the way i see it; have a home but be in debt, or have less debt and be homeless!
    I'm technically a student even though i haven't been attending due to illness, so maybe that'll give me some options?
    My landlord has been understanding so far but his patience is wavering. I'm scared

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    A crisis loan?
    Is that a specific bank or is that through the council?
    I'm going to go in a min to talk to them and explain my circumstances, i really hope there's something to be done. It;s difficult for me to get to town on my own though due to illness (i'm hooked up to a heart machine)
    I'm gona try and apply for a credit card is all else fails, the way i see it; have a home but be in debt, or have less debt and be homeless!
    I'm technically a student even though i haven't been attending due to illness, so maybe that'll give me some options?
    My landlord has been understanding so far but his patience is wavering. I'm scared

Thanks guys
    Hooked up to a heart machine? You can claim ESA:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled.../esa/DG_171894

The best thing is to visit the JobCentre if at all possible, or phone them (free):
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...Plus/DG_186347

They can advise you on ESA aswell as Crisis Loans. Crisis Loans, much like Neil_K pointed out, are emergency loans to help pay for bills. If you are eligible for ESA (Which I would strongly think you are, seeing as though you do not appear to be in good psychically shape to do so), you automatically qualify for Housing Benefit, which can be backdated (As in, when you started to fall behind on payments).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.