Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im going for mech eng and have offers from both these unis but there was a question I found on another forum which describes my situation very well so Im just going to post it here:

Hi,
    I'm going to uni in September and have pretty much narrowed my ucas offers down to Imperial and Sheffield, although I'm not really sure which to put as my firm and my insurance. I know I should probably jump at the chance of going to Imperial, seeing as it is so highly ranked, with a good reputation, but I've heard a lot of negative comments about the social side of life there, and I'm looking for the whole university experience. After all, I work to live, not live to work! Having said that, I am not afraid of working hard. I've visited both universities and I did find that Imperial had an unusually high number of international students and the student union looked rather pitiful compared to Sheffield's. I loved Sheffield's union, the uni, the course, the people, and the city offers everything that I am looking for, while being far more affordable. I think here I would have a far better social life, and would probably enjoy the next 3/4 years more than I would at Imperial, but I just can't shake the thought that a degree from Imperial would get me further in life than one from Sheffield...? Or will you get a good job as long as you get a good degree (say, a first) regardless of institution? I must admit though, I do quite like London. Thoughts? Opinions? Comments?

ReputationRep:
    Engineering strikes me as another course where, as long as you're taking an accredited course, it doesn't matter what uni you do it in.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Imperial, it's got a very good reputation, and it's in London so if you are any good socially then you'll find loads of stuff to do.
    I don't really know Sheffield but a 2:1 from Imperial is a hell of a lot better than 2:1 from Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neesh123)
    I'd go for Imperial, it's got a very good reputation, and it's in London so if you are any good socially then you'll find loads of stuff to do.
    I don't really know Sheffield but a 2:1 from Imperial is a hell of a lot better than 2:1 from Sheffield.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    For me personally I would be put off ICL because I would not want to live in London at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wacky9873)
    Im going for mech eng and have offers from both these unis but there was a question I found on another forum which describes my situation very well so Im just going to post it here:
    If you're sure you love Sheffield so much just go there, it shouldn't make a significant difference to you - employment wise. Unless of course you're planning a career in Investment Banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex5455)
    Why?
    Because Imperial is in the top 100 unis in the world and has an international reputation for engineering unlike Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neesh123)
    Because Imperial is in the top 100 unis in the world and has an international reputation for engineering unlike Sheffield.
    It's more contacts than anything. But if you're worth a damn, and know how to email a potential employer (99% of students don't) then you should be fine. Put both on the choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    It's more contacts than anything. But if you're worth a damn, and know how to email a potential employer (99% of students don't) then you should be fine. Put both on the choices.
    Contacts are everything.
    At Imperial the employers come to you. At Sheffield you have to go find the employers. But at the end of the day it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial definately! i didn't like sheffield at all and Imperial is just so high up in the league tables... university is what you make of it

ReputationRep:
    If employers come to you at ICL, then unless you're at the top of your class and amazing at what you do, why would they pick you over a selected group of individuals in the same position you are? If you're amazing at the course then well done for putting in the work, but if an employer is coming to your university, he's only going to want to employ the best their or those who really strike out. And if the course is quite big, you have a lot of competition.

Again, the same applies if you try to find an employer, works both ways. But you never know, you might go to Imperial and find a contact who's looking to set up a business that goes on to make millions then woopwoop for you. You might end up being the contact at Sheffield and people will want to come to you.

If university leagues are what you go by, consider ICL but go to both and see what they're like. Both are excellant Universities, and the nightlife at Sheffield I hear is amazing so it's up to you. Either way if you put some seriously hard work into it, you might find you prosper and get a 1st in Sheffield and a 3rd in ICL. When you go to university, appearantly you just know which one you want to go to. Check them both out and if you can't decide, think about what you care about more. League tables, night life, etc. etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Engineering strikes me as another course where, as long as you're taking an accredited course, it doesn't matter what uni you do it in.
    That's pretty much true, but the advantage of Imperial isn't necessarily the name brand but the fact that it is the biggest engineering department in the UK and is highly active in every area within engineering. It's the most targeted university by engineering employers and offers probably the best chance to meet the broadest range of contacts. Which is hugely important given that ~80% of jobs are gotten through contacts.

If someone is looking purely at academics and jobs, then Imperial should be the firm and somewhere else high quality (like Sheffield, incidentally) should be the insurance. If someone is also looking for the "uni experience" then Imperial is not ideal, I've heard, so maybe it's best not to go there. If you want to work for firms that target Sheffield then you won't lose anything by not going to Imperial. And if the employer is convinced that you're going to be a better engineer than the Imperial graduate they'll take you any day. But it's going to be slightly more difficult to meet contacts from such a wide range of industries - from petroleum to space.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.