Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Our class did a mock test for Unit 1 the other day, and I don't think anyone got higher than a D :/. We had a look at the mark scheme and it was pretty specific, I found a lot of the time I did give a correct explanation, but I just didn't get the marks because I didn't include a specific word .

I'm starting to do past papers now and making notes on the mark scheme, so I will hopefully do what the examiners are looking for! But I was just wondering if anybody else has had this issue, and if you have already taken the exam, whether you have any useful tips for hopefully passing the exam in January?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Got the same grade, got the same problem. Just need to focus on terminology, im starting revision for the exam on monday doing 45 min a day for biology, did they give you the cgp book at your college? i havent checked it out yet but apaprently its real good for stuff like that, has all the explanation questions etc..

ReputationRep:
    I got an A for the mock, I'll try to help you out.

Use the Nelson Thornes Endorsed book, it's incredible - it's really use easy to understand AND it has all the points you really need for the exam. Don't rely on CGP, use it if you don't understand something - it's way too condensed though so be aware it will most probably NOT get you an A.

Go through all past papers you can find and read on the markschemes. For Biology, the trick is to:
    - Make notes on the Nelson Thornes book
    - Learn those very thoroughly
    - Do summary questions which are exam questions
    - Do exam style questions
    - Do exam papers

I've been doing this since the beginning and it got me a 90% mark on every end of unit test and 90% on the mock itself. The papers look a lot less daunting as you practice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.