Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

vitamin/protein quotas are a load of nonsense?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    fellows

everyone keeps telling me to eat more protein and tke multivits.im veggie and dont eat properly when under alot of stres, work, exams etc.

i think for my height (5ft4) i need 40g protein per day. on average for the past ten years i get about half that at most.

when under stress, on an average day i eat:
    1 or 2 hot chocolate
    samosa sandwich or pasty with cheese
    a choc bar
    a sandich or couple cpcakes or biccys depending on whats in teh fridge.

on a good day i eat

break - mini cheese or milk drink
    lunch - salad with leaves, oil and cheese or Quorn
    dinner- boiled veg with cheese or homemade soup.
    maybe a fruit or two.
    hot choc

so clealy this isnt balanced and nutritionally deficient. but i eat like it for past 10 years and am average/slim weight (size 6), fully functioning with good energy levels and no medical problems.

i know alot of other gals who eat crap and are healthy. so are the vitman/protein RDA's unnecesssay? are multivitamin supplimnts unessesary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    fellows

everyone keeps telling me to eat more protein and tke multivits.im veggie and dont eat properly when under alot of stres, work, exams etc.

i think for my height (5ft4) i need 40g protein per day. on average for the past ten years i get about half that at most.

when under stress, on an average day i eat:
    1 or 2 hot chocolate
    samosa sandwich or pasty with cheese
    a choc bar
    a sandich or couple cpcakes or biccys depending on whats in teh fridge.

on a good day i eat

break - mini cheese or milk drink
    lunch - salad with leaves, oil and cheese or Quorn
    dinner- boiled veg with cheese or homemade soup.
    maybe a fruit or two.
    hot choc

so clealy this isnt balanced and nutritionally deficient. but i eat like it for past 10 years and am average/slim weight (size 6), fully functioning with good energy levels and no medical problems.

i know alot of other gals who eat crap and are healthy. so are the vitman/protein RDA's unnecesssay? are multivitamin supplimnts unessesary?
    you're most likely

a) Weak as ****, seriously doubt you could do a single pull up or push up
    b) Have no muscle mass therefore a saggy, cellulite ridden body. This can certainly be the case even if skinny

For one to question the importance of protein only shows how obtuse women are becoming to nutrition and physical wellbeing. Probably why so many tend to look out of shape these days too. Your diet is trash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    you're most likely

a) Weak as ****, seriously doubt you could do a single pull up or push up
    b) Have no muscle mass therefore a saggy, cellulite ridden body. This can certainly be the case even if skinny

For one to question the importance of protein only shows how obtuse women are becoming to nutrition and physical wellbeing. Probably why so many tend to look out of shape these days too. Your diet is trash.
    not at all, i also train almost every day at the gym for an hour doing both cardio (spinning) and weights so no cellulite or sagginess either. I can do up to 30 squats with a 15kg barbell. given my build that is a fair bit. i cant pullup though but most women cant. i can do loads of pushups though, and 'planking' in yoga, since i also go dancing and yoga three times a week.

so if i can maintain a nice body with sport, have loads of energy and strength why do i need to eat properly and take vitamins?

ReputationRep:
    not at all, i also train almost every day at the gym for an hour doing both cardio (spinning) and weights so no cellulite or sagginess either. I can do up to 30 squats with a 15kg barbell. given my build that is a fair bit. i cant pullup though but most women cant. i can do loads of pushups though, and 'planking' in yoga, since i also go dancing and yoga three times a week.

so if i can maintain a nice body with sport, have loads of energy and strength why do i need to eat properly and take vitamins?
    thank you for reiterating my point

again, can you do a pressup/pushup

ReputationRep:
    thank you for reiterating my point

again, can you do a pressup/pushup
    i will reiterate my post you have quoted:

try reading next time

your point was trying to say im weak and flabby when i can lift weights and am muscular and fit.

ReputationRep:
    i will reiterate my post you have quoted:

try reading next time

your point was trying to say im weak and flabby when i can lift weights and am muscular and fit.
    I'm talking about pushups on your toes, not tose naff knee pushups girls like to do

seriously though, protein aside your diet sucks and it seems as if you're not getting any nutritional value from it. Yeah going the gym and lifting weights (no matter how miniscule they may be in your case) maybe helpful. However find a chick with a better diet and you'll find a chick who is most likely stronger and in better shape. Its science. I lift. My diet is pretty good, hence I am stronger and more muscular than 99% of people my age with worse diets.

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about pushups on your toes, not tose naff knee pushups girls like to do

seriously though, protein aside your diet sucks and it seems as if you're not getting any nutritional value from it. Yeah going the gym and lifting weights (no matter how miniscule they may be in your case) maybe helpful. However find a chick with a better diet and you'll find a chick who is most likely stronger and in better shape. Its science. I lift. My diet is pretty good, hence I am stronger and more muscular than 99% of people my age with worse diets.

yes i was talking about toe pushups too, did you not see my reference to yoga 'planking'? I have very strong core muscles. it doent need protein to maintain.

i know loads of girls who take multi vits and say they have a healthy diet, 5 a day, eat meat, have 3 proper meals with multigrains and MOST of them at my age look much older than me, they are mostly slightly overweight and flabby with crepy thin skin. I meanwhile am slim with a visible 6 pack and defined toned muscles. i think excersise is better than diet, and muscle can be created and maintained without loads of proteins with me being a good example of this.

i have tried taking multivits and protein suppliments for about 3-6 mos a year ago but have noticed they make NO difference and is money down the pan.

ReputationRep:
    *Face-palm*

ReputationRep:
    yes i was talking about toe pushups too, did you not see my reference to yoga 'planking'? I have very strong core muscles. it doent need protein to maintain.

i know loads of girls who take multi vits and say they have a healthy diet, 5 a day, eat meat, have 3 proper meals with multigrains and MOST of them at my age look much older than me, they are mostly slightly overweight and flabby with crepy thin skin. I meanwhile am slim with a visible 6 pack and defined toned muscles. i think excersise is better than diet, and muscle can be created and maintained without loads of proteins with me being a good example of this.

i have tried taking multivits and protein suppliments for about 3-6 mos a year ago but have noticed they make NO difference and is money down the pan.
    LOL your dietary knowledge is so mediocre its comical. First of all get into your head that anyone with half a brain knows multivitamin supplements are useless, not beneficial in any way. Some docs even hypothesize them being detrimental to overall health. Secondly the girls dont lift, dont even dare try to tell me they do because I have trained for some time and have a fair bit of experience of altering body shape depending upon diet and exercise.

There are numerous reasons why those who consume a healthy portion of dietary macro nutrients (not even talking about the government guidelines as even they are crap). Supplements have very little benefit however consuming a good amount of protein, fats and carbs from white and red meat, dairy and vegetables can only do you good. Suffice to say the females I have met who tend to have the most enviable figures all tend to eat pretty well.

Cellulite.

ReputationRep:
      Your diet is a load of ****, and 40 grams of protein when going to the gym is seriously lacking, you should be getting more like 100 grams if you're doing weights and that's me being conservative, and protein aside your diet is a load of crap still, its less than 1000 cals a day and contains absolutely no complex carbohydrates or good sources of fat

lol no you don't, you squat 15kg lol, its incredibly paltry, you may as well do them unweighted, planking is a load of **** btw

This post is full of so much ****, just because you're skinny doesn't mean your toned, and what do you think your body is gonna build muscle out of? Hot chocolate and pasties? It needs protein to build and maintain muscle mass, this is fact and has been proven in countless studies

just out of curiosity, how does it feel never being full for the last 10 years?

ReputationRep:
      LOL your dietary knowledge is so mediocre its comical. First of all get into your head that anyone with half a brain knows multivitamin supplements are useless, not beneficial in any way. Some docs even hypothesize them being detrimental to overall health. Secondly the girls dont lift, dont even dare try to tell me they do because I have trained for some time and have a fair bit of experience of altering body shape depending upon diet and exercise.

There are numerous reasons why those who consume a healthy portion of dietary macro nutrients (not even talking about the government guidelines as even they are crap). Supplements have very little benefit however consuming a good amount of protein, fats and carbs from white and red meat, dairy and vegetables can only do you good. Suffice to say the females I have met who tend to have the most enviable figures all tend to eat pretty well.

what??? i can train with a 15kg barbell or a 20kg kettlebell which is more than some men! and as a 5 ft 4 7st7 woman that is alot! plus i regularly monitor my bodyfat and is is always in the 'low' category. i model p/t so need to keep visible muscle and avoid cellulite, but i dont find the RDA of protein is necessary (15g/kg). fats are necessary, i take oil in my salad and i get tonnes of carbs. but i never get the amount of protein and certainly dont get the RDA of vits, and because i dont eat meat i probablly have never got vitamin b12 in my life.
      they just dont make any difference.

if i started taking them now, what changes would i notice? im healthy, slim and fit already?

ReputationRep:
      what??? i can train with a 15kg barbell or a 20kg kettlebell which is more than some men! and as a 5 ft 4 7st7 woman that is alot! plus i regularly monitor my bodyfat and is is always in the 'low' category. i model p/t so need to keep visible muscle and avoid cellulite, but i dont find the RDA of protein is necessary (15g/kg). fats are necessary, i take oil in my salad and i get tonnes of carbs. but i never get the amount of protein and certainly dont get the RDA of vits, and because i dont eat meat i probablly have never got vitamin b12 in my life.

if i started taking them now, what changes would i notice? im healthy, slim and fit already?
      Whilst I will always advocate meat over vegetarianism. You can still get a guideline amount of macronutrients from non meat diets. Secondly maybe you train in a secondary school gym because any man who cant lift a 20kg kettlebell is disastrously physically incapable.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      You act like you know it all. But aren't you that weedy asian kid who does Law at UCL?
      lol yeah I'm asian and did law at UCL, not so weedy any more :awesome:

I've spent the last 5-6 months reading and researching this stuff in my spare time, so I don't know it all but I do know a hell of a lot compared to most people

ReputationRep:

If you think you're doing everything correctly now and are 'perfectly fit and healthy' then please explain what the point of your original post was?

Also, if you're eating that little whilst doing that much exercise and evidently avoiding proper sources of protein, you need to worry about what undereating is doing to your already underweight body, not whether you should buy some crappy multivits.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.