Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's 2 Years of a 3 Year Degree Worth? Watch

    • Thread Starter


    Probably not the best place to ask this, but here goes, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

    I'm looking to emigrate from the UK to Canada, but ran into a problem with their immigration points system. Basically you need 67 points to move to British Columbia and I fall short mostly on education!

    I've studied several OU courses and completed two years of a three year degree (BSc at the University of Sussex) in Molecular Genetics over 15 years ago. Had to drop out in the final year (just had the exams to sit) on medical grounds.

    15+ years have passed and I run a successful business, so everything worked out OK, but the lack of finishing a high level course (technically speaking the highest level course I've finished are GCSE's!) is loosing me around 20 points on the immigration process.

    Very strange immigration system, I earn way above the UK national average wage, don't need a job as self employed (that looses me 10 points by not having a job arranged!), my business exports a service (mostly to the USA) so generates wealth for the country and there's no immigration path for a person in my situation. I've looked into all the options and none of them are realistic, there's just the skilled workers that's a possibility if I can get my education recognised.

    I'm looking for options of using the completed 2 years at University for some type of recognised qualification to gain points in an immigration process.

    Any ideas?


    Firstly, the Canadian system sounds nuts... does it not consider your business skills at all?!
    I would ring the immigration "office" and explain your situation, I think they will have all the answers on how to maximise the points.

    Could you perhaps go back to Uni and finish the final year? If that fails then there are loads of short courses which surely would give you points.

    Good luck.

    Edit: I just noticed something, I'm not sure if this would be allowed but if you have completed 2 years of a degree then you are allowed to transfer Universities [for a similar degree], I would give this a punt as it could get you onto a course!

    I think 2 years study is a Diploma of Higher Education, but I dont know how many points that would be equivalent to sorry.

    You could go back and complete the final year but its been a long time since you did the other 2 years so you would have to contact some unis and see what they say. Im not sure if the time passed would be an issue.
    • Thread Starter

    Finishing the degree isn't really an option now, I've not kept up with trends in genetics and moved on (would probably have to do year 2 as well as a reminder!). Also run a business, so don't have the time to study full time.

    The business I run doesn't have recognised qualifications (search engine optimisation consultant), everything I know is self taught.

    I'll give Sussex Uni a call after the weekend, see if I can get my two years counted towards something on one of their courses that won't require another years study.

    Yes, the Canadian system is a bit nuts, other than being a large scale investor (investing around £500,000 plus hiring Canadians or buying part of a Canadian business) there's no immigration options for entrepreneurs, retired people etc... who are self sufficient funds wise and just want to move there!

    A retired couple (early fifties) on a decent pension (more than enough to live on) suggested we take the route they are taking, which is one of them is studying in Canada for a two year degree (costing them ~$30,000 Canadian dollars extra), which gives them 3 years to find work as a graduate, after working for 1 year full time they get permanent residence!

    Our eldest son is at Uni and expects to get a 1:1 and ran his details through on the assumption he got his degree and he wouldn't get in until he's spent a year working and has a job offer in Canada.

    It's nuts, I hope the UK immigration policy isn't going this over the top with the new points based system.

  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

    Applying to uni?

    Our tool will help you find the perfect course


    Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

    Quick link:

    Educational debate unanswered threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.