Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Finance? - Withdrawing and failing a repeat year and studying elsewhere again. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I applied to student loans and went into university to study a 2 year foundation degree in Civil Engineering Construction in 2008 and failed year 1 and so went to repeat year 1 in 2009 and this too was funded by student loans company and I failed yet again and the university terminating my studies...Now after a great deal of thought and seriousness I decided to study at college to be a baker but have applied to university again for September 2011 to do something completely different (Baking Technology Management) at London Southbank University which is also a foundation degree for 2 years with the option to further study the 1 year Bsc after.

So if everybody is entitled to a maximum amount of 5 years supported finance...

1 year (funded) - failed
    1 year -repeat- (funded) -failed

Would I have to pay anything back now?
    Would I be able to receive full funding for the 2 years of Baking Technology Management foundation degree I have applied to?
    Will I still be able to get help if I am successful and get onto the Bsc 1 year.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3lnino89)
    Hi

I applied to student loans and went into university to study a 2 year foundation degree in Civil Engineering Construction in 2008 and failed year 1 and so went to repeat year 1 in 2009 and this too was funded by student loans company and I failed yet again and the university terminating my studies...Now after a great deal of thought and seriousness I decided to study at college to be a baker but have applied to university again for September 2011 to do something completely different (Baking Technology Management) at London Southbank University which is also a foundation degree for 2 years with the option to further study the 1 year Bsc after.

So if everybody is entitled to a maximum amount of 5 years supported finance...

1 year (funded) - failed
    1 year -repeat- (funded) -failed

Would I have to pay anything back now?
    Would I be able to receive full funding for the 2 years of Baking Technology Management foundation degree I have applied to?
    Will I still be able to get help if I am successful and get onto the Bsc 1 year.

Thanks in advance!
    You are mistaken about the 5 years.
    Your total HE entitlement is length of course plus 1 year minus years already had.
    You've already had 2 years to subtract from your entitlement.
    Any shortfall has to be paid for the first year applied for, ie they won't fund a first year for you to fund subsequent years.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really need a degree to become a baker? Sounds like a lot of debt for something where you could just start at the bottom of the industry and work your way up.

As hypocriticaljap says, it's course length + 1 - years already had. So for you, 2-2+1 - you'll pay the first year, they'll pay the second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    You are mistaken about the 5 years.
    Your total HE entitlement is length of course plus 1 year minus years already had.
    You've already had 2 years to subtract from your entitlement.
    Any shortfall has to be paid for the first year applied for, ie they won't fund a first year for you to fund subsequent years.
    Are you sure? I was wondering if the 3 year + 1 still counted. This is because it isn't a full degree i've withdrawn from it's a sub degree/foundation degree and it's another sub degree which leads to a 1 year bsc i've applied for this time... hmm maybe it might be best to call them...

ReputationRep:
    It's length of the actual course, and it's classed as a 2 year course. The top-up is worked out differently. You're ineligible for fees/maintenance grant in year one.

ReputationRep:
    I called student loans company today and they said I had 2 years left and that they will fund the 2 years I have left. If it were a 3 year course I was applying to then I would have to pay for the first year but no so it's all good!

I don't know about the top up yet though I didnt ask, I may have to fund that myself...

Thanks guys!!

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see they've given you wrong advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3lnino89)
    I called student loans company today and they said I had 2 years left and that they will fund the 2 years I have left. If it were a 3 year course I was applying to then I would have to pay for the first year but no so it's all good!

I don't know about the top up yet though I didnt ask, I may have to fund that myself...

Thanks guys!!
    Did you tell them it was a 2 year course? If it was a 3 year course yes you'd have 2 years left, however if it's a 2 year course you only have 1 year left. Taiko on here tends to know what he's talking about - if he says you're not entitled, you won't be (I think he works for SF). Call them again and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    Did you tell them it was a 2 year course? If it was a 3 year course yes you'd have 2 years left, however if it's a 2 year course you only have 1 year left. Taiko on here tends to know what he's talking about - if he says you're not entitled, you won't be (I think he works for SF). Call them again and see what they say.
    4.5 years as an assessor at Local Authority level, before moving onto another job.

My guess is that the OP has said it's a 3 year course to them, when in actual fact it's not. The FD and top-up are counted as seperate courses, making it 2+1 - 2 = 1 years entitlement, allocated to the final year.

Would still get help if they went onto the top-up, but it's not counted in the initial assessment for course length.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, What was the outcome of this, as I am in a similar situation?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeenyJowls)
    Hi, What was the outcome of this, as I am in a similar situation?

Thanks
    This post is more than four years old and the user hasn't been on TSR since they posted on this thread. They will very probably not reply.

It would be worth starting a new thread of your own, describing your situation and getting more up-to-date advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.