Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Doing a bit of chemistry revision and ive come across a section that i havnt been able to understand, and was hoping for some feedback

When it gives you an acid, how do you know wether its a strong or weak acids? I know the definition of a weak acid is it dissociates its Hydrogen ions incompletely, but i still dont understand how you tell from just the formula.

Hcl for example.. how do i know wether its weak or strong?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hmm, I think for most of the syllabus' (syllabi?) you are just to know the main acids and whether they are strong or not.

HCl (hydrochloric), H2SO4 (sulfuric) and HNO3 (nitric) acids are the main strong ones.
    and organic acids such as ethanoic or propanoic are weak.

my teacher/textbook has taught me nothing more than that they fully ionise in water and dissociate completely to H+ ions etc

ReputationRep:
    I think you just have to know, or use the acid dissociation constant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mally-xo)
    hmm, I think for most of the syllabus' (syllabi?) you are just to know the main acids and whether they are strong or not.

HCl (hydrochloric), H2SO4 (sulfuric) and HNO3 (nitric) acids are the main strong ones.
    and organic acids such as ethanoic or propanoic are weak.

my teacher/textbook has taught me nothing more than that they fully ionise in water and dissociate completely to H+ ions etc
    Thanks so much for the quick reply
    I'll just learn it like that then Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeNunn)
    Thanks so much for the quick reply
    I'll just learn it like that then Thankyou
    that is alright let me know if you need any more help, I am revising acids at the moment for my exam in january.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    For HCl I think you are just supposed to know that it is a strong acid..
    You'll know if somethings a weak acid since they'll ask you for the Ka of the acid I would think.

Just make sure you can do everything it says on this specification: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2420-W-SP.PDF

Assumed you're doing chem4 with AQA

ReputationRep:
    HBr and HI are also strong I think, and phenol is weak. This is all I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeNunn)
    Doing a bit of chemistry revision and ive come across a section that i havnt been able to understand, and was hoping for some feedback

When it gives you an acid, how do you know wether its a strong or weak acids? I know the definition of a weak acid is it dissociates its Hydrogen ions incompletely, but i still dont understand how you tell from just the formula.

Hcl for example.. how do i know wether its weak or strong?

Thanks
    When the anion produced (also called the conjugate base) is a something stable, like a halide, sulphate or nitrate, you get a strong acid. Where the anion is less stable, like carboxylate from carboxylic acid groups or alkoxide from alcohol groups, it is a weak acid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.