Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I swore I wasn't going to get anything like that, but I must say I would rather like one. I'm rather attracted to the fact it has an actual keyboard, which would make writing messages on it simpler. The thing is, I can't see myself using half the features, like email and whatnot, so I don't know if it'd actually be worth it. Also, I don't know about the software - if they run Windows I'm not touching.

I need to get a new phone anyway, the one I've got is actually falling apart after being in my pocket for about five years.

What do you think?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    lol i said everything that youre saying now about how id never get it and id never need half the stuff on it buuut i got one and id never go back i found myself even using the email... its really useful and bbm is a godsend!!
    my phone before that was a windows mobile and youre right to stay away theyre shocking!! but this isnt and its nothing like windows mobile!! (thank god!)
    reeeeally recommend a blackberry go for it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Also, I don't know about the software - if they run Windows
    You haven't tried the new Windows Phone 7 phones have you?
    Pretty awesome IMO.

In any case, having a keyboard is nothing exclusive to Blackberryes. Plenty of android, symbian and Windows Phone devices have keyboards too.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a blackberry and I hate it, why the hell did I take out a two year contract

ReputationRep:
    No.

Get an iPhone or HTC.

No. Desire Z.

ReputationRep:
      I would say no from past experiences. But they can be pretty nifty phones. I say buy an Android phone:
      1. Cheaper
      2.More and better for your money
      3. More features and Better Apps
      4. Has radio
      5. The BB Curve 8520 has NO 3G It's like WTF??? But ALL Android phones that I know of anyway have 3G

ReputationRep:
      Get a Windows 7 Phone. I think one of the HTC ones has a keyboard.

ReputationRep:
      I can't stand the BB keyboard, it's so small and pointless I can't type. And this is coming from a guy who's sickly thin with thin fingers, I just can't use it.

If you have a Mac I'd strongly recommend getting an iPhone, they are amazing. But I gather that you want a Windows phone instead, you don't :P So I can't really help you, but I recommend trying out the keyboard first. I admit they look appealling, but I can never use it.

ReputationRep:
      There are cheaper phones with a keyboard out there, I used to have a LG GW520 and that was like £15 a month on orange. But if you have the money for a blackberry, get one

Well, I want to stay away from Windows anything because I know how bad they are under the bonnet, having seen the code. Also, I know someone who had a Windows phone, and it bluescreened several times a day, so no thanks. Maybe Symbian, looks better.

@jumpingjesusholycow: no. I want a phone. iPhone isn't a phone, it's a very, very expensive toy.

ReputationRep:
      Well, I want to stay away from Windows anything because I know how bad they are under the bonnet, having seen the code. Also, I know someone who had a Windows phone, and it bluescreened several times a day, so no thanks. Maybe Symbian, looks better.

@jumpingjesusholycow: no. I want a phone. iPhone isn't a phone, it's a very, very expensive toy.
      Except that Windows phones do not bluescreen.
      And I am guessing the person you knew had one that was Windows mobile based.
      Windows Phone 7 is a complete restart of the OS, and is an awful lot better than any previous attempt MS has made.
      As for symbian - just no.

ReputationRep:
      No. It seems that you only want one for the keyboard. Plenty of phones have QWERTY keyboards, although I've yet to see one which is large enough to be useful.

BBM is a joke. It's free, but most contracts come with unlimited, or a huge number of free texts anyway.

ReputationRep:
      I swore I wasn't going to get anything like that, but I must say I would rather like one. I'm rather attracted to the fact it has an actual keyboard, which would make writing messages on it simpler. The thing is, I can't see myself using half the features, like email and whatnot, so I don't know if it'd actually be worth it. Also, I don't know about the software - if they run Windows I'm not touching.

I need to get a new phone anyway, the one I've got is actually falling apart after being in my pocket for about five years.

What do you think?
      No, they are squat and ugly.

Get an HTC Desire.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WelshBluebird)
      Except that Windows phones do not bluescreen.
      And I am guessing the person you knew had one that was Windows mobile based.
      Windows Phone 7 is a complete restart of the OS, and is an awful lot better than any previous attempt MS has made.
      As for symbian - just no.

Listen to WelshBlueBird. What you're talking about isn't Windows Phone, it's Windows Mobile - and believe me, they're totally different. As for Symbian... well I'm guessing you don't know a lot about phones to say this, so you're forgiven, but yeah - just no.

ReputationRep:
      You need to have a go on them really - I had a go on BB, loved it and got one - I find it very useful indeed. However, other people don't like them. All boils down to personal preference.

(Original post by NothingCrushesUs)
      Listen to WelshBlueBird. What you're talking about isn't Windows Phone, it's Windows Mobile - and believe me, they're totally different. As for Symbian... well I'm guessing you don't know a lot about phones to say this, so you're forgiven, but yeah - just no.
      Fine, no.. OK, that's fine

I was thinking of a BlackBerry because I might start using the features; a lot of my friends seem to do a fair bit of texting, and I hate using a twelve-key keypad with a passion. If I was to get one and use it for email or Facebook, that'd be cool.

The thing is, I haven't been paying attention to phones since colour phones came out, I've generally been happy as long as it worked. But it seems now that I'm going to have to move with the times in order to be reachable, so methinks I'm just going to have to learn.

A little bit silly saying I'm going to have to move with the times, considering I keep upto-the-second with technological and programming research, and my physics journals.

ReputationRep:
      HTC desire or an Iphone4 mate, don't bother with one of those fruits

ReputationRep:
      Your life will clearly not be complete without a Blackberry or iPhone.

ReputationRep:
      definetly, unless you dont know alot of people on BBM. You have a computer for super fast internet...phone is for staying social!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.