Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where to go from here? Watch

Announcements

I'm an 18 year old girl,otherwise healthy. I can pinpoint the time I started feeling worse - it was the week before exam results in the summer,so I've been like this for about 4-5 months now. But I think it's been an underlying problem since summer in 2009.

I've just been feeling very deeply unhappy,although sometimes I don't feel anything at all. I've been finding it very hard to summon up the ability to care about anything - I hear people at school go on about their relationships and silly fights with friends and I just don't care at all,I can't see the point in getting involved in such things. It's so petty. I know it's selfish,but I'm so self absorbed in how I feel I can't get out of it! I don't have many friends at school and often isolate myself because I don't want to hear or deal with everyone else and their lives. I sound horrible but honestly I'm not! I'm pretty sure I have some form of Avoidant Personality Disorder,although it's more intense at different times.

I can't remember the last time I genuinely felt moved by anything - I've lost interest in things I used to like,music,reading etc. I don't want to sleep,I don't want to be online,I don't want to go out or anything. There's next to nothing I want to do.

The thing is that this couldn't have come at a worse time. I'm in my last year of school and I already have two offers from amazing universities in a highly competitive subject. Going to uni seems like the only way I could make myself feel slightly better (I'm convinced it's something to do with where I live) but now I'm worried this could interfere with my exams etc. Over the last term I've still been doing well but now exams are coming up I'm worried I could loose it again.

I don't self harm as in cutting myself but when I feel stressed or anxious I often start scratching my head and picking at it (disgusting I know) which is obviously very painful. I'm just not sure if how I've been lately is enough to warrant some kind of medical attention? I'm just not sure.

ReputationRep:
    You should deffo see a doctor.I've been through a stage like yours.Try forcing yourself to go out and meet people.Try and find things to get hyped about, like seeing your family at Christmas.

Get a pet like a cat it'll give you company,a purpose in life and pleasure to see it grow and learn!
    Don't give up, goodluck
    regards Tom

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.